All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: My first tank...by Jeff
PostPosted: Jun 15th, '11, 15:33 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Ok, I bought a ten gallon tank, and it's cycling now, the lady at the Aquarium/Reptile store was awesome, and I'm very happy.

The fish will be transplanted as soon as the water checks out, I didn't need to buy any test kit to start off with, the lady will test when I go to the store.

I mentioned aquaponics, and she seemed to think that I was stupid or something, but I really clicked with her after changing topics, she spent about 20 minutes with me, and helped me assemble the undergravel filter, and air pump connections. She said aquaponics just requires some pea gravel and a pond outside, and brushed off an extended conversation about that topic...so I talked about everything else.

I have a question about my air pumps:

One of the air nozzles (is that what they are called, it's the part with the sponge on the tip inside my tank at the bottom of the tube that allows air to flow upwards) is pumping way less than the other, and it pumps more air as I pull it out of the tank a bit...it also pumps more if I pull the other nozzle up out of the tank a bit...can I fix this? I was going to try to cut the line to that nozzle, since they are sharing an air tube from the one air pump. There is a splitter to direct the air tube to two nozzles inside the tank.

I will take pictures tomorrow when I buy an SD card for my camera. I am also going to move my web cam into the living room, when I start using the tank to house the fishies!

I'm excited to say the least, and so far just the bubbles in the tank is amusing enough to entertain me! Just imagine with the fish and other creatures and plants going too !

:laughing3:

Thanks all for this awesome forum, which I look forward to contributing more to in the future!

Jeff C
:geek:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '11, 16:23 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: could be I guess
Your air pump can only push a certain volume of air down the lines, this is why when you lift an airstone out it will start bubbling more at the top (there is less resistance), if you want more bubbles take off one stone and let the other work solo.

:thumbleft: good luck

http://www.backyardfarming.com.au/phpbb ... f=24&t=270

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '11, 16:30 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Awesome, thx, the weaker one is still working at half power, so I'm happy. (I think after I get the fish and use the hood and lights, the pump on that side will be at minimum power, so I'll either take it out, or buy a 2nd pump at that point). There happens to be room for four air filter slots...

Maybe when I go to the aquarium store I can invest in a second pump.

Ah, my first question about my first tank. I'm having an emotional moment now.

Ok, now question number two:

I have this stuff that came with my aquarium kit (yes I bought a kit), it's a water conditioner. I assume this is bad for my aquaponics system (when it does indeed become an aquaponics system). But I'm using it to start the tank, and I'm going to raise the fish for a few months with frequent water changes (1/2 tank every week). Is this correct? What should I do with the stuff once I go all aquaponic, or is it good, and I am wrong?

The brand is Aquarium Solutions ULTIMATE. Ingredients: ClorAm-X, electrolytes, buffers and a proprietary, polymer formula in aqueous solution.

later all,

Jeff C

P.S. Thanks gnash06 for the reply.

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '11, 21:40 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: yes
yeah, don't use the water conditioner.. it's an ap system when you have plants uptaking the nutrients from the fishtank water..
regarding your air pump.. are you using "check valves" in the lines to your air stones? if so, one of them could be clogged, try switching it out
keep readin the forums, lots to learn and lots of helpful people here

PostPosted: Jun 16th, '11, 10:31 
A posting God
A posting God

keith wrote:
yeah, don't use the water conditioner.. it's an ap system when you have plants uptaking the nutrients from the fishtank water..
regarding your air pump.. are you using "check valves" in the lines to your air stones? if so, one of them could be clogged, try switching it out
keep readin the forums, lots to learn and lots of helpful people here

+1...No water conditioner and read read read :D

PostPosted: Jun 16th, '11, 11:34 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Yeah the more people I talk to the more I hear "no, I never use conditioners", and thats not just newbies..

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jun 16th, '11, 14:41 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I have already searched the threads for water conditioner info, and not much, I assume that's because as soon as it's mentioned, the obvious reason for not using it is presented and then the thread digresses. I read two threads that didn't relate...they mentioned water and conditioners? oh well. I already know that chemicals are bad for aquaponics.

I digress.

I'm trying to think about how to convert my little system to grow plants. I will take some pictures after I get my fishies! (or maybe tonight after I assemble the hood and lights!)

ok, see you later guys,

thanks,

jeff c
:think:

PostPosted: Jun 16th, '11, 15:14 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Here is a link to my public aquarium album on facebook, please feel free to add me as a friend if you like!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2086001638113.2129927.1487318441&l=d2ea60dc1e

Hope this works,

jeff c
:laughing3:

PostPosted: Jun 16th, '11, 15:49 
A posting God
A posting God

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 10332&ap=1

Here is a GREAT link on FB for you jeff :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '11, 13:13 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Ok, so now I've come to the conclusion that I've got to have more than one tank. I already have a tank that works great with just fish! According to the lady at the Aquarium store, I never need to change my water, in fact, it would be to my fishes detriment if I did.

Do the filters work that well? I have 10 tetras, 2 dwarf frogs, and will be adding more in about a week or so. (Probably 10 more fish? and at least one or two snails, and a bottom feeder catfish or two...?)

Now I want to have an aquaponics fish tank, and rig a simple grow bed to it. Because this stuff is way easier than I thought it would be!

My question is this: Should I do what I'm doing now, only without the filters? I envision using just two air pumps...or just one, and air-lifting the water between the fish tank and the grow bed.

I will meditate more, but my swimming fish are wonderfully addicting to watch!

A side question is this: Does my filter take out the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia, etc? That is, in addition to the bacteria consuming and transforming. Just curious. I think it's a charcoal filter that I have in each air filter. I assume that I don't want those for my aquaponics setup.

Later all,

jeff c

P.S. I know that I'm on the right track, I'm just ultra-nervous to proceed aquaponically, so I wanted to chat about it a bit I guess. LOL Thanks for the indulgence.

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '11, 15:23 
A posting God
A posting God

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1348&hilit=aquarium+aquaponics

Above is a link to one of the best aquarium set-ups (IMHO), it was built ages ago by Jay. I remember it used to have towers above the actual tank, unfortunatly the pictures are no longer there but there is a link in the tread somewhere and alot of usefull information :D