All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: ShellyS --- System
PostPosted: Mar 24th, '15, 06:53 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Ok, so we decided to start BIG. We are using our 18' x 33' x 52" above ground pool for our fish tank and for our floating beds. The water is a mess! Pump has been off throughout winter -- how do we get it ready? What kind of plants, etc. . . . We have also purchased two 275 gallon IBC totes that we'll cut down to use as grow-beds on the outside (at a lower level than the pool) for a start.

Our goal is to raise fish, prawn, crawfish, and freshwater lobsters as well as pretty much all of our own produce.

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow you'd live today as if it was your last; since you don't know when your last day will come -- why not chooce to live each and every day as if it is your last

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: ShellyS --- System
PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '15, 07:50 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Can't figure out how to add pictures. So today my son helped me cut: 2 IBC 275 gallon totes and 8 55 gallon blue barrels. We are going to position them around the outside of the swimming pool coming from the pump/filter area. My thought is that I can remove the salt system and use that hole to reenter water from the sump pump. I think that I can delete the sand filter and go straight from the pump into my system. I am not plumbing yet. I could use some advice on that (although if you could see a pic of my planned set up would be better---I tried google sketch up ---can't figure out how to use it).

Anyways thought process ---- water comes out of pool via pool pump then it goes into floating bed (top of IBC -which sits on top of larger IBC tank) from there it goes to a tank (bottom large portion of IBC) drain on IBC is piped to send water out the bottom that is above all 8 1/2 barrel grow beds and drips out of holes in pvc into beds. The water comes out of the barrel beds via plumbing inserted into plug hole (that were prebuilt into barrels) and those all go into a long pvc pipe that takes the water to the next floating bed (top of IBC - which sits on top of larger IBC tank) and then that drains into another tank (bottom large portion of IBC---this one is buried a bit so that everything goes from highest point at beginning to lowest point at end) This bottom tank will house the sump pump and it will be plumbed back into the pool via the regular port on the pool for water going in.

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow you'd live today as if it was your last; since you don't know when your last day will come -- why not chooce to live each and every day as if it is your last

PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '15, 08:20 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Mostly
Shelly,

Open the "full editor" tab on the bottom bar of where you type your reply. From there scroll down and click browse and add your picture. I also use an above ground pool, so you may get some ideas from my thread. The 8 1/2 barrels sound good but when you start to add up all the fittings and extra pipework. It adds up quick. You may see that it is cheaper and easier to make wooden planter boxes and line them with pond liner.

PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '15, 09:45 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Floridafishin

:thumbleft: Thanks will definitely check into building planter boxes -- I have lots of heavy duty pallets and have actually created raised garden/wicking beds out of them. Definitely will check out your system.

PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '15, 10:04 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks to Floridafishin I know how to post pics :notworthy: So here's a look into what will be our huge fishtank. Water is actually clear -- just green mess on bottom/walls and floating brown stuff on top. Don't see anything lurking in there. Don't know if we should scoop all that stuff off top and turn the filter on (of course not adding any chemicals)

Attachments:
File comment: Big Green Mess --- Future fishtank
aquaponics pool.jpg
aquaponics pool.jpg [ 30.26 KiB | Viewed 4112 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '15, 10:13 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

So after we got the plastic all cut-- we placed everything where we thought about putting it. (The blade broke while cutting the metal so it's not in the following pic--will be in future--got it cut afterwards and totes put back in and placed on top of one another)

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '15, 03:11 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sorry it said my pic file was too big---I'll have to figure out something for future pics. Anyways--did lots of researching today and I'm soooo excited! Found my media -- native river gravel (local supplier) Delivered for $50 ton, found supplier for pl freshwater prawn (approx. 2 hours away) 1000 for $117 shipped to my door, also found a supplier for 20 crayfish 1-2" for $28.99 (don't know s/h charges) and I ordered goldfish to start cleaning up my pool/FT 400 for $109.99 delivered to my door. Now, my son and I need to get to work putting the system together :lol: It was really hard to find suppliers that catered to small operations--I made a lot of phone calls. Haven't been successful in finding a supplier of tilapia yet.

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '15, 07:56 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

If the pictures are too big import them to "paint" on your computer and resize. Make sure to do a Ph test on the gravel. Basically submerge some in vinegar. If it bubbles a lot don't buy it. It will give you ongoing problems.

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '15, 11:25 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

ok trying again --- yesterdays progress and potential layout. Thanks again Floridafishin. Will definitely check the ph on the gravel.

Attachments:
Aquaponics 1.jpg
Aquaponics 1.jpg [ 188.51 KiB | Viewed 4054 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '15, 12:05 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

So today we started assembling the base for the barrel GB's. After we finished my husband started asking me questions (nothing before that). Now he's hooked too :headbang: So here's pics for today

Attachments:
pallets.jpg
pallets.jpg [ 36.58 KiB | Viewed 4049 times ]
cut pallets.jpg
cut pallets.jpg [ 38.22 KiB | Viewed 4049 times ]
my helpers.jpg
my helpers.jpg [ 28.44 KiB | Viewed 4049 times ]
put together pallets.jpg
put together pallets.jpg [ 30.13 KiB | Viewed 4049 times ]
put together.jpg
put together.jpg [ 37.58 KiB | Viewed 4049 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '15, 15:06 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Shelly,

With the water weight time and humidity. The cut pieces of pallets will fold out of the way. Leaving your barrels lower than they are now with no side supports. Drilling through the top edges of them, down the connecting sides. Sew the barrel halves together using zipties (tie wraps). This will keep all of the connecting edges from deforming. Then just build a single frame around the top edge to hole all the outside edges from deforming in time. Check out my cheap barrel section on my thread.

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '15, 22:49 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Floridafishin, thank you so much for taking the time to help me; it is truly appreciated. I went back through your thread and see what you are saying. Definitely will be implementing this into system. After it is all plumbed and in working order then we are going to build a wall with access to the plumbing (for aesthetics).

PostPosted: Apr 4th, '15, 01:35 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I would also turn the barrels around so all the plumbing was towards the pool. So you lessen the chance of damaging it while you are working in your new garden.

PostPosted: Apr 4th, '15, 01:47 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

floridafishin

I had thought of that but then thought if I had leaks, etc.... it may be harder to get to, to fix the problem. So after its hooked up we thought a wall around exterior with some sort of door with hinges for easy access to plumbing. Does that make sense? Sometimes I think differently than others.

PostPosted: Apr 4th, '15, 01:56 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Once it is together usually the bio film will stop any small leaks. So that is usually not an issue. Either way you would have to allow enough room to get between the barrels and the pool to hook it up in the first place. So you could still get back there if needed. The problem with the piping on the front is you can 1 knock it loose or 2 snap it off, which is defiantly worse. Plus with the cladding that you are talking about to hide and protect them you are going to make it harder to reach the back of your GBs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next