All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: VLT's Home System
PostPosted: May 24th, '12, 09:13 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Nitrate is a little high...but nothing to be worried about...

I'll take another reading tonight...my dogs chewed the floating thermometer so I have no idea what the water temp is. Only on a cold night, the water was colder!

Maybe cod are weaker than silver perch and trout? :shrug

System at my olds (deprecated)

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 24th, '12, 09:29 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: I hope so
Hi Vlt, what an awesome system. It not only does the job but looks great. :headbang: How many beds are you putting in?

I had 2 similar HSM :support: . The first was when my 4000l tank emptied itself. The bandicoots had knocked the power cord out for the sump tank pump and the main tank kept happily pumping water into it. Like you 4000l of water was wasted :upset: . thankfully I noticed it after a couple of hours. The SP seemed ok and loved the new water. I have nerver seen them so animated. They were having trout moments. Fixed that problem with a float switch. They are going cheap at Creative pumps in SA ( http://www.creativepumps.com.au/work/fl ... tches.htm8 ($59 - reduced from $79) which is a bargin. No excuse for anyone not to have one :D . One less thing to worry about.
the other HSM involved the trout tank but that is another story and involved a simple clamp.

with pumps circulating at least 100% of the water per hour we can be as short as 60 mins away from an empty tank.

I'm glad things worked out for you.

Looking forward to more photos of the system as it develops.

Cheers
Mark

PostPosted: May 24th, '12, 09:42 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: I'll be baaaack!
In aquariums:
http://www.nativefish.asn.au/cod.html wrote:
Murray cod will do well in unheated aquarium indoors, but generally it is best to use a heater to put a floor under the temperature. When used this way the heater should be set to around 18°C at which temperature the fish will remain active and feeding all year round. Some enthusiasts will set the temperature up to around 24°C while the fish are young to encourage fast growth until the fish reaches a size of around 150-200 mm when it may conveniently be fed on live feeder fish. The heater is then gradually turned down to 18°C - if done in summer, this can be achieved without risk of chilling the fish since ambient temperatures are likely to be above 20°C anyway in most places.

[edit]And see : http://toolboxes.flexiblelearning.net.au/demosites/series3/315/resources/stock/species/murray_cod.htm

I think it's just too cold for the cod? Trout love the cold, 10-18C is fine for them. Silver perch slow their growth in cooler water but survive in water less than 18C. I'd be preparing for 100% cod deaths and/or sick fish.

Scott

PostPosted: May 24th, '12, 13:04 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Marc de Woose wrote:
Hi Vlt, what an awesome system. It not only does the job but looks great. :headbang: How many beds are you putting in?

I had 2 similar HSM :support: . The first was when my 4000l tank emptied itself. The bandicoots had knocked the power cord out for the sump tank pump and the main tank kept happily pumping water into it. Like you 4000l of water was wasted :upset: . thankfully I noticed it after a couple of hours. The SP seemed ok and loved the new water. I have nerver seen them so animated. They were having trout moments. Fixed that problem with a float switch. They are going cheap at Creative pumps in SA ( http://www.creativepumps.com.au/work/fl ... tches.htm8 ($59 - reduced from $79) which is a bargin. No excuse for anyone not to have one :D . One less thing to worry about.
the other HSM involved the trout tank but that is another story and involved a simple clamp.

with pumps circulating at least 100% of the water per hour we can be as short as 60 mins away from an empty tank.

I'm glad things worked out for you.

Looking forward to more photos of the system as it develops.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the comments. Will be working on the system quite a bit more in the coming weeks. In total I will have 4000 litres of growbeds.

I'm changing the design a bit now. I will be employing a 260 litre barrel sump to house the pump. The fishtanks will overflow via a SLO into the sump. So if another of these HSMs happen, I should only lose 260 litres rather than 5000 litres.

Hopefully more pictures to follow.

PostPosted: May 24th, '12, 13:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

bunson wrote:
In aquariums:
http://www.nativefish.asn.au/cod.html wrote:
Murray cod will do well in unheated aquarium indoors, but generally it is best to use a heater to put a floor under the temperature. When used this way the heater should be set to around 18°C at which temperature the fish will remain active and feeding all year round. Some enthusiasts will set the temperature up to around 24°C while the fish are young to encourage fast growth until the fish reaches a size of around 150-200 mm when it may conveniently be fed on live feeder fish. The heater is then gradually turned down to 18°C - if done in summer, this can be achieved without risk of chilling the fish since ambient temperatures are likely to be above 20°C anyway in most places.

[edit]And see : http://toolboxes.flexiblelearning.net.au/demosites/series3/315/resources/stock/species/murray_cod.htm

I think it's just too cold for the cod? Trout love the cold, 10-18C is fine for them. Silver perch slow their growth in cooler water but survive in water less than 18C. I'd be preparing for 100% cod deaths and/or sick fish.

Scott

A few of us are trying out murray cod, perhaps my micro climate isnt suitable. One of the reasons for trying cod was that they are in similar systems as Silver perch.

Possibly due to the non summer, my cod didnt get to a sufficient size to last through winter.

At least the dogs love fish.

I stocked my tank with 50 trout in April...they are doing very well. Last night I had a look and noticed it did not look like 50. What has been happening is that the trout would jump out of the tank INTO the jaws of my dogs!!! :upset:

PostPosted: May 24th, '12, 20:13 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: yes
Hey mate sorry to hear about your losses. As you may have read I have been losing a few MC lately too. That night you spoke about when it got as low as 4 in melbourne. It was 0deg at 9pm in lancefield that same night. So that should give you an idea of the extreme conditions my fish need to survive. I have not noticed any deaths this week however. But we have been having nights of 4 for about a month now.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: May 25th, '12, 07:03 
Legend Member
Legend Member

BNDYBEAR wrote:
Hey mate sorry to hear about your losses. As you may have read I have been losing a few MC lately too. That night you spoke about when it got as low as 4 in melbourne. It was 0deg at 9pm in lancefield that same night. So that should give you an idea of the extreme conditions my fish need to survive. I have not noticed any deaths this week however. But we have been having nights of 4 for about a month now.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Yeah...the temp may have tipped them off the edge after the stress of the tank emptying....

We'll see how it goes. No deaths today....so fingers crossed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6