All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 13th, '20, 03:30 

Are you human?: no
I have a fairly new system I built summer 2018 that I'm still struggling with...have come here for hopefully some help.

My pond is inside a 30' x 30' greenhouse...and the pond is 25' long x 4' wide x 5' deep...so around 3600 gallons.

Started with 100 mosquito fish and some pond plants (water hyacinth, duckweed, azolla).

Then I put in 25 2-3" yellow perch. Soon after my mosquito fish disappeared. Stupidly I didn't realize the perch would eat them haha.

Question is: If I dump in a very large amount of mosquito fish (like 1,000), can I get ahead of the consumption rate from the perch? I want to have them in there for some algae control but am not gonna waste money if they will just be eaten.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 13th, '20, 07:22 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Just add areas which model the micro climates they can typically escape predation to in the wild. I.e. shallow areas, meshed off areas, areas with alot of obstructions, like submerged branches, plant roots etc, some pepole use pvc pipe so large species can't fit in and the smaller can. Imagination is really the limit, and with that sort of water volume should be achievable.

PostPosted: Jan 13th, '20, 07:27 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Sorry forgot to add, there may still be a small population of mosquito fish there hiding if they have opportunity. I added small carp gudgeon to my large dam first, then later bigger species. Thought the smaller were all gone, however when i use a submersible light at night I can find them albeit in reduced abundance. So might be worth creating the safe zones first and see if they are still present.

PostPosted: Jan 16th, '20, 23:09 

Thank you very much for the replies! I like the idea of creating some habitats...currently I don't have anything in the pond where they can hide. Gonna sink a couple of fake christmas trees, and maybe build a few PVC contraptions.

PostPosted: Jan 17th, '20, 04:59 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Christmas tree sounds like a great idea, saves storing it in the shed in the off season :lol: