All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '11, 08:21 

Are you human?: yes
Hi.
I am from Canada and this is first time i post in the forum, so if i make any mistake please forgive me.
I love the idea of growing my own veggies and fishes, but i live in a cold country so my option are limited .
Here in Canada we have fresh water fishes from cold water shed, it take long time to rise them for dinner table...
I am building an indoor 30,000 liter tank to rise Tilapia, but Tilapia is not as healthy as your Barramundi as far as Omega 3 is concern.
Originally i am from Vietnam so this Barra is the fish that i am used to.
Please help me contact with any person that have some Barra seed stock or fry, i will only need 1,000 .
Because this fish is considered non-native to Canada so i will have to apply for an import permit from the Government of Canada, most likely i will not have this permit until Dec 2011.
Thanking you in advance.

vdt

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '11, 08:45 
Spam Assassin (Be afraid!)
Spam Assassin     (Be afraid!)

try Ausyfish http://www.ausyfish.com/barramundi.htm they do barra, and send fish overseas, so they would have more information on this than anyone.
good luck

................................................................. . Image

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '11, 08:51 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Obviously you have your reasons for wanting to raise subtropical species , but to me Canada screams Trout or such . Grow much quicker than Barra .

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '11, 08:54 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Well, humanoid
At least with the Tilapia you can fairly easily breed your own fish, and they will eat an assortment of plant materials as well. They are very forgiving of their environment too. With the Barramundi, you would have to get the fish imported each time. If you are not an accredited quarantine facility I believe you would have to pay some place to quarantine them for some period of time every time you import them as well, unless you are going to setup a hatchery facility and learn how. All in all, not great logistically or cost effective. You could always grow the Tilapia and suppliment with Omega 3. :lol:

Don't rule out the trout either. They grow very quickly in RAS systems (quicker than barramundi), can be sourced for very cheap locally, and there is a huge amount of experience and assistance available for you locally as it pertains to the various salmonid species.

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '11, 09:42 

Prawnz wrote:
Obviously you have your reasons for wanting to raise subtropical species , but to me Canada screams Trout or such . Grow much quicker than Barra .

Hi.
Believe me when i know it will take 1 to2 years to grow Rainbow trout to 500gr, With Barra i can do it in less than 1 year, also trout will stop feeding when water temperature approaching 20 C, and that make it difficult to grow veggies when i have to cool down the fish tank h2o inside the green house for grow beds.
That is my believe but i can be wronged.
I thank you for your candid.
Cheers.

vdt

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '11, 09:56 

furnaceboy wrote:
At least with the Tilapia you can fairly easily breed your own fish, and they will eat an assortment of plant materials as well. They are very forgiving of their environment too. With the Barramundi, you would have to get the fish imported each time. If you are not an accredited quarantine facility I believe you would have to pay some place to quarantine them for some period of time every time you import them as well, unless you are going to setup a hatchery facility and learn how. All in all, not great logistically or cost effective. You could always grow the Tilapia and suppliment with Omega 3. :lol:

Don't rule out the trout either. They grow very quickly in RAS systems (quicker than barramundi), can be sourced for very cheap locally, and there is a huge amount of experience and assistance available for you locally as it pertains to the various salmonid species.

Hi.
I agree with most of your logic except i face same import permit with Tilapia ( considered non-native fish). On the other hand Salmon and Trout are very inefficient on food conversion ratio ( 2 -3 to 1).
So My first choice is Barra and second choice is Tilapia, most likely i will rise T to master the AQP because like you said T is more forgiving to newbie like me.
I thank you for your valuable suggestions.
Cheers.

vdt

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '11, 09:57 

Jaymie wrote:
try Ausyfish http://www.ausyfish.com/barramundi.htm they do barra, and send fish overseas, so they would have more information on this than anyone.
good luck

Hi.
Thank you.
Cheers.

vdt

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '11, 10:02 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

overlord1957 wrote:
Prawnz wrote:

Hi.
Believe me when i know it will take 1 to2 years to grow Rainbow trout to 500gr, With Barra i can do it in less than 1 year, also trout will stop feeding when water temperature approaching 20 C, and that make it difficult to grow veggies when i have to cool down the fish tank h2o inside the green house for grow beds.
Cheers.

vdt

No worries, things must be totally opposite there because its the northern hemishere eh .

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '11, 10:36 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Trout grow as quickly as barramundi, from fingerling to 500 g in about 6 months.... Be careful you don't confuse growing out trout fry to 500g and barra fingerling to 500g. I would think that both from fry stage, or both from fingerling stage to 500g are fairly similar.. and you don't have the costs of heating the water for most of the year, while in Canada I think you would have to do a fair bit of heating to get optimum growth from barra or tilapia.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '11, 22:59 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Well, humanoid
Using modern high quality, high protein food, feed conversion rates can be close to 1:1 under ideal conditions with fast growing strains. A large number of trout farms with ok conditions and normal strains commonly achieve 1.5:1. Salmon farms are consistently closer to 1:1 growing Atlantic Salmon, with some more recent specialized strains eating huge amounts daily to have incredible growth (like about double). These ratios were not always the case before higher quality food was available, and some older studies still reflect the poorer ratios, as do some more recent studies in countries where they were trying to use sub-standard food.

My personal conversion rates seem to be around 1.2:1 on average for trout (automated feeding 4 times a day, and manual supplemental feeds 2-4 times a day). It would have been even better, but it took about a month to get the automatic feeder portions right for the fish (the portions were originally too much for a single feed, hence having some wasted food). I have been getting trout growing from a starting weight of 100gms to 350gms average in 3 months (some fish much less, and some much more). Weight gain from that size is even quicker.

I would have thought that it would be prohibitively expensive to heat to the levels required to keep barramundi or tilapia happy for the 8 months a year that would be required there, unlike trout, which could be kept easily within a temperature range that would be fine for the trout and the plants (unless of course you were committed to growing hot climate plants). Some strains of brown trout can handle a bit warmer temperature than rainbow trout, which might help. If your focus is on the plants (and I daresay it should be with aquaponics, as you won't have the stocking densities of high intensity RAS), maybe you could consider something else that is locally available, like yellow perch, which can handle warmer temperatures, and breeds pretty easily too. I am not aware of them being used around there in aquaculture however.

There are a lot of people in your area in BC with great knowledge of the capabilities of the various salmonid species that you could draw upon (not to mention local hatcheries) to help with your decision. Gofishbc has some good people that could assist you (for some, that might even be their job :lol: ), and they have even developed some interesting triploid strains which may be of interest, although they don't know how they would do in a RAS type system, I am sure they would be keen to find out. I imagine that you have been (or soon will be) dealing with the BC Ministry of Environment (even if you just want to stock trout), and they too have some helpful resources, although it may not seem like it if you are wanting to host exotic fish.

At any rate, don't let your decision be based on thinking that barramundi will grow any better than the trout. Also,the cost and hassle of importing exotic species (permits, quarantine, higher mortality due to extensive travel, etc) should be a big deterrent. It would be for me. With the tilapia, if you were to breed them, at least it would be a once off for the import and quarantine I suppose.

Keep us apprised of your journey with this, as it should all prove interesting.

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '11, 00:07 
furnaceboy wrote:
My personal conversion rates seem to be around 1.2:1 on average for trout (automated feeding 4 times a day, and manual supplemental feeds 2-4 times a day). It would have been even better, but it took about a month to get the automatic feeder portions right for the fish (the portions were originally too much for a single feed, hence having some wasted food). I have been getting trout growing from a starting weight of 100gms to 350gms average in 3 months (some fish much less, and some much more). Weight gain from that size is even quicker.

Hey Furnaceboy... sounds like you've been kicking around for a while... how about starting a thread and showing us what you've done in the past and/or what you're up to now..

Or did you grow out the trout in the pond you picture in your thread....:dontknow:

Amd what feeder were you using??

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '11, 00:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I think you should read this
http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Fisheries/Conten ... e_1107.pdf
No problem to grow charr or trout to plate zize in 6-8 months in BC.
Iff you still want barramundi, after reading their biological requirements to thrive and grow, there is farms in the USA
cheers

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '11, 03:40 

SolTun wrote:
I think you should read this
http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Fisheries/Conten ... e_1107.pdf
No problem to grow charr or trout to plate zize in 6-8 months in BC.
Iff you still want barramundi, after reading their biological requirements to thrive and grow, there is farms in the USA
cheers

Hi SolTun.
Thank you for the infos.
Yes i have read the Barra farming hand book, it is very informative.
Yes there is one Barra farm in USA it is called Australis.
And none in Canada.
Here in Canada no one has done aquaculture in RAS, except a few do Tilapia Aquaculture, there are a couple do aquaponic but not very successful due to the cost of maintaining water and air temperature.
In BC Canada there is only one Company doing trout and wasabi as poly aquaculture, also not very successful.
Most of the trout farm here in BC are done out door ( That may explain why the grow out time are 1-2 year to marketable size).
After reading all the post from you all i have learn quite a few ideas for my project.
May be, it is good to start up with the local resources and after gaining some experiences than i can go back to Barra and jade perch.
However i would love to have some seed stock of your Australia fish for next year after i build the green house, After all what am i going to do with trouts when there are plenty supplier in the market.
People here likes wild trout and salmon, they are not very fond with farmed fish, we have a very bad reputation with our open cage farming practice from the ocean.
With Barra you can compete against Salmon any time as far as framed fish go.
Cheers and thank you all for your inputs.

vdt

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '11, 04:14 

furnaceboy wrote:
Using modern high quality, high protein food, feed conversion rates can be close to 1:1 under ideal conditions with fast growing strains. A large number of trout farms with ok conditions and normal strains commonly achieve 1.5:1. Salmon farms are consistently closer to 1:1 growing Atlantic Salmon, with some more recent specialized strains eating huge amounts daily to have incredible growth (like about double). These ratios were not always the case before higher quality food was available, and some older studies still reflect the poorer ratios, as do some more recent studies in countries where they were trying to use sub-standard food.

Hi Furnaceboy.
Thank you i will take your advice into consideration before i put the very first fish in the tank.
here at local market trout supply has saturated the stores, there are plenty of trout from the wild and from the farm, it would not a good situation for me to try to go and compete against the current.
With Barra, it will be easier to sell while i learn the grow out system.
Here in Canada i have not seen or heard of any successful commercial aquaponic operation, most of the fish farm are out door type and cause environmental damages. there are some Tilapia farm that are done in door, still can not compete against the frozen import from Asia. So why become one of many! while i can be different?
I am still tending forwards to Barra and i believe this fish can and will compete head on with Salmon or Trout in this BC market, also i can grow the veggies that fit into local Asian market better( We have a very high Asian population in Vancouver BC).
Cheers and love to hear more from you.

vdt

I would have thought that it would be prohibitively expensive to heat to the levels required to keep barramundi or tilapia happy for the 8 months a year that would be required there, unlike trout, which could be kept easily within a temperature range that would be fine for the trout and the plants (unless of course you were committed to growing hot climate plants). Some strains of brown trout can handle a bit warmer temperature than rainbow trout, which might help. If your focus is on the plants (and I daresay it should be with aquaponics, as you won't have the stocking densities of high intensity RAS), maybe you could consider something else that is locally available, like yellow perch, which can handle warmer temperatures, and breeds pretty easily too. I am not aware of them being used around there in aquaculture however.

There are a lot of people in your area in BC with great knowledge of the capabilities of the various salmonid species that you could draw upon (not to mention local hatcheries) to help with your decision. Gofishbc has some good people that could assist you (for some, that might even be their job :lol: ), and they have even developed some interesting triploid strains which may be of interest, although they don't know how they would do in a RAS type system, I am sure they would be keen to find out. I imagine that you have been (or soon will be) dealing with the BC Ministry of Environment (even if you just want to stock trout), and they too have some helpful resources, although it may not seem like it if you are wanting to host exotic fish.

At any rate, don't let your decision be based on thinking that barramundi will grow any better than the trout. Also,the cost and hassle of importing exotic species (permits, quarantine, higher mortality due to extensive travel, etc) should be a big deterrent. It would be for me. With the tilapia, if you were to breed them, at least it would be a once off for the import and quarantine I suppose.

Keep us apprised of your journey with this, as it should all prove interesting.

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '11, 04:16 

Prawnz wrote:
overlord1957 wrote:
Prawnz wrote:

Hi.
Cheers.

vdt

Hi Prawnz.
Yes, and you have a better fish in Barra and Jade perch.
Cheers.

vdt
No worries, things must be totally opposite there because its the northern hemishere eh .