All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 8th, '12, 04:07 

Are you human?: Yes
Aquaponics newbie here. Researching what fish is preferred for northwest Florida. Would like a fish with good omega-3 qualities, does not eat young and is suitable to local climate.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 25th, '12, 23:01 

Are you human?: yes
i

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '12, 23:15 

Hey Jedi, I am in Pensacola, where are you?

PostPosted: Mar 29th, '12, 05:03 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Howdy pcjedi
I think you are going to be kinda limited on the fish you grow in the climate you are in. Unless you have some sort of climate control. It is to cold for tilapia and will be to hot for trout and such. I think you might be stuck with bream or catfish. I would check around to see what the local pond guys are growing and grow something native. I can tell you from experience that heating and cooling becomes expensive really quick. Where are north florida are you??

PostPosted: Mar 29th, '12, 21:06 

I would like to start an AP group in the Pensacola area. Would anybody be interested to talk face to face and experience each others systems and such?

I would like to get some bluegill when I expand to a medium system. But 100 BG fingerlings may be a bit more than I can handle. And thats the minimum order around here.

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '12, 03:26 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

i wish I could join you guys up there but I am in the Gainseville area and as such am a bit far

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '12, 20:47 

Would love to have you, I am sure we still can have a strong group even though we might be scattered all over.

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '12, 21:08 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

If you keep looking around the forum you should find quite a few people in your area. There are a lot of florida members on here. I wish you the best of luck with you group.

PostPosted: May 16th, '12, 09:10 

Are you human?: no
I live in Fort Walton Beach and am trying to choose fish. Would love to see your systems and a aquaponic group sounds like an excellent idea! May on meetup.com or something. Hit me up eightfivezero 217-3117 =).

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '12, 05:02 

Hi there,

I'm actually from a little town in North Florida called Bristol. Grew up there, but for now, I'm living in Hawaii. I have a pretty small little backyard AP system set up here on the patio of my apartment. I know that alot of catfish farms were started in that area 15 or 20 years ago, there was a pretty big fish farming boom.. which seems to have petered out alot since then. But, catfish do very well up there, I've been to a pond that was so full of catfish you could almost walk across it, right before they harvested. I will be moving back to that area in the next few years, and I'm hoping to set up a pretty nice, small family farm sized AP system, and would probably end up using a mix of catfish and bream in seperate tanks. Not sure what the market is for fish now, but on a small scale might still be able to do well. I hope to suppliment my income through a small veggie/fish market stand from a home system someday. If there was a way to keep the Tilapia warm over the winter months.. I'd like to do that as well, I suppose having the tanks in a greenhouse with the plants would be required. I don't konw.. but trying to learn as much as possible now on a small scale. good luck and I hope it works out for you.

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '12, 13:49 

So, is there more than a couple of us in pensacola? I'd be interested in coming to look/learn from some of you locally. I am in NE Pensacola.

-Jonathan

PostPosted: Nov 7th, '12, 12:13 

Update:
I am growing out a group of male convicts to put into the system outside when it warms up.
Also I am going to get some crawfish to put into another tank connected to the system, will fed them culled
Convicts.
While its cold, I have moved my operations to the garage. Its not insulated, but it doesn't get below 50F in their.

PostPosted: Nov 7th, '12, 12:37 

good work plumberman, let us know how it goes :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Nov 15th, '12, 14:06 

Are you human?: Not if you ask my ex
Pensacola here also! Well Milton to get technical. We are planning an aquaponics greenhouse to set up in the beginning of the year.

PostPosted: Sep 17th, '13, 11:11 

I am in Crestview FL. . Have been cycling for 14 week now. I have a 300 gal. FT, 4 half barrel GB's with pea gravel for media. 32 feeder gold fish and one channel cat (fingerling). Green house is 12x12 made of 8 inch pvc and trampoline frame/w 4 mil. UV plastic.
New to all of this and it has been fun would like to know more like minded people.

I have posted some pic's of my set up in hardware. 8" PVC Greenhouse