All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 10th, '16, 13:53 

Are you human?: YES
What would happen if you never cleaned your filter? if you had a RFF or something along that line?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 11th, '16, 03:04 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I can't speak directly to the effects on AP systems, but I can speak in terms of fish tanks... In freshwater fish tanks it's not a huge deal, not cleaning them leads to higher nutrients so you nitrates will usually get pretty high. This isn't too detrimental to fish up to a certain point... Fish can handle nitrates pretty well but if they get too high they might have an effect on the fishes health... I have had nitrates up to about 40 ppm with no problems, I would suspect someplace between 80-120ppm is probably a bad place to be...

The additional nutrients cause bacteria populations to increase and increase and increase... The more bacterial activity there is in your system the lower your pH may get... I battle it in my saltwater tank, I know when my pH drops off its time to clean my tank a bit to remove some bacterial flock to even things out a bit...

PostPosted: Jan 11th, '16, 03:44 

If the solids just pile up, then at some point the area may become anaerobic. The solids will still break down anaerobically but some of the organisms that metabolize under these conditions produce toxic gases that can kill the fish. You can get away with letting the solids accumulate a little bit but you probably don't want to let this get out of hand. With a lightly stocked system you can probably get away with a week to around 3 weeks but this is just a guess on my part. Some might be able to go longer and others might not.

The thing is, in a lightly stocked system with enough grow beds, you don't need an RFF.