All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Oct 14th, '16, 13:51 

Are you human?: YES
Hello all,
I hope that I can ask suggestions here itself instead of creating a new topic. My kids are very fond of growing fish. First we thought of growing them inside our home in a tank. But my kids suggested me to grow them in our pool. We have two pools constructed by http://www.soldapools.com/ long before. One is very big and the other is a small one which our kids used to play. But now they've grown up so it is left unused.
Can we grow fish in a swimming pool?? Is it safe for them?? I'll have to remove the chlorinated water, but what if my tap water contains chlorine? Can you give me some suggestions to make the water safe for fish to grow? Any suggestions regarding this are greatly welcomed. Thank you.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 18th, '16, 18:27 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Hi Hilda,

we need to establish if you want to just grow some fish or do you want to set up an aquaponics system?
The advantage of the latter is that the fish water is cleaned by growing plants, in most cases around this forum they're veggies. Either way you'll need to feed the fish,aerate and clean the water so you may as well get some veggies for your effort.

Pete.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '16, 11:29 

Hi Petesake,
I would like to set up an aquaponics system. As I said, I have an unused swimming pool. Will I be able to create an aquaponics system there??Is there any possibility for me to convert my pool into an aquaponics system? I'm new to this and it will be really helpful if you give me some suggestions to start my aquaponics system.

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '16, 12:12 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
A pool can be part of an aquaponics system. If you use the search tool, you'll find some examples on here. But you would need LOTS of growbeds, or lots of other filtration or to stock very lightly.

Suggest doing a bit more reading before you develop your idea. Make sure you understand the nitrogen cycle and other key aquaponics concepts.

Perhaps start with the IBC of aquaponics which is linked at the top of the page. Then you could create a new thread with detail of a proposed system. You'll get some useful feedback!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My first system
My Murray cod system

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '16, 12:17 

Thank you Dave for your suggestion. Before turning my pool into an aquaponics sysytem, let me understand the whole concept about it. Will surely create a thread once I start to set up an aquaponics system :)

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '16, 20:13 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Hi Hilda,

as Dave has implied beginning with a pool may not be the ideal way to begin learning about aquaponics on a manageable scale.

Can you supply photos and the the size of the smaller pool?

Benefits of pools such as more stable water temps, large volume, plumbing and electrical already fitted are often out weighed by the requirement of possible pool surface sealer, shelter, considerable grow beds, plumbing and their maintenance. If you understand how it all works then I'm sure you could make a small pool into an aquaponics system.

The best way to learn is to build a smaller version and sharpen your teeth on that.

Pete.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231