All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Breeding Crappie
PostPosted: Oct 10th, '16, 22:22 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Just wonder if anyone's attempted breeding crappie in aquriums and what their results were, I can barley find any information on it but what I do know is

- Compressed Winter using light timer on 18 hours, and temperature control
- Diet of protien heavy live foods
- Tempature around 77

That's as much as I know, I have 2, 75 gallon tanks, 1, 55 gallon and 1, 45 gallon, tanks I can dedicate to this I have growlights on the 55 so it accumulates algae and thinking of putting daphina in a 20 gallon so if the crappie do breed I can transfer the fry into the 55 and introduce the daphina a couple previous so they have plenty of food.

I currently have 4 crappie all above 6 inches but I've got no idea on how tell their gender so I hope their not all male or female.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Breeding Crappie
PostPosted: Oct 11th, '16, 00:09 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I'm not sure I can contribute, but I am tagging along as an interested party if someone does provide some information.

One thought on your comments...

"so if the crappie do breed I can transfer the fry into the 55 and introduce the daphina a couple previous so they have plenty of food"

From what I have read on breeding pretty much any kind of fish it is very important to keep the tank clean. I think a 55 gallon tank would be pretty big for freshly hatched fry. I would start them in a 5 or 10 gallon tank and move them to larger tanks as their size dictates. I think you have to feed the daphnia or other small feeds like that at a fairly high rate for them to be able to catch and eat enough, so if it was spread out in a bigger tank you would have to feed a lot more which then results in a lot more waste trying to keep the tank clean. I would pick up a 5, 10, 20 gallon tanks to have in the line up with the 45, 55, 75 gallon tanks as well.

Post subject: Re: Breeding Crappie
PostPosted: Oct 11th, '16, 00:24 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

rininger85 wrote:
I'm not sure I can contribute, but I am tagging along as an interested party if someone does provide some information.

One thought on your comments...

"so if the crappie do breed I can transfer the fry into the 55 and introduce the daphina a couple previous so they have plenty of food"

From what I have read on breeding pretty much any kind of fish it is very important to keep the tank clean. I think a 55 gallon tank would be pretty big for freshly hatched fry. I would start them in a 5 or 10 gallon tank and move them to larger tanks as their size dictates. I think you have to feed the daphnia or other small feeds like that at a fairly high rate for them to be able to catch and eat enough, so if it was spread out in a bigger tank you would have to feed a lot more which then results in a lot more waste trying to keep the tank clean. I would pick up a 5, 10, 20 gallon tanks to have in the line up with the 45, 55, 75 gallon tanks as well.

Thanks, and yeah that's a good idea, I could use a smaller tank before the 55 gallon, from my experience with daphnia is that they grow almost exponentially if given enough food so in about 3 days from 10 you can get 10,000's and when I had them last within 2 weeks they ate all the algea in the tank and starved to death.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk