All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Oct 14th, '16, 02:35 

Are you human?: Yes
I'm new to aquaponics and I was wondering what the laws and regulations are in Tyler tx for kepping tilapia. I want to grow tilapia so I can breed them and eat them. Does the game wardens have to inspect my system? Even if it's for personal use only? Any help would be great!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 14th, '16, 07:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Hi Briktorian,

Briktorian wrote:
I'm new to aquaponics and I was wondering what the laws and regulations are in Tyler tx for kepping tilapia. I want to grow tilapia so I can breed them and eat them. Does the game wardens have to inspect my system? Even if it's for personal use only? Any help would be great!

There are a good number of Texas folks doing aquaponics, so they can probably chime in with their personal experiences on this, but here is a little of what 2 pertinent agencies in Texas have to say about it:

https://texasagriculture.gov/RegulatoryPrograms/Aquaculture.aspx
Texas Department of Agriculture wrote:
Regulatory Programs > Aquaculture

Aquaculture

The Texas Department of Agriculture coordinates the licensing of aquaculture facilities and vehicles transporting (live) cultured species, in partnership with the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

Who needs to be licensed?

Aquaculture Facility
A business that produces and sells cultured species raised in a private facility
must obtain an aquaculture license from TDA.

Aquaculture Fish Farm Vehicle
If you plan to transport and sell farmed fish or shellfish from your vehicle, you must obtain a license for it.
You must keep a copy of this license in the vehicle.

And...

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/exotic/prohibited_aquatic.phtml
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department wrote:
Invasive, Prohibited and Exotic Species

The organisms listed here are legally classified as exotic, harmful, or potentially harmful. No person may possess or place them into water of this state except as authorized by the department. Permits are required for any individual to possess, sell, import, export, transport or propagate listed species for zoological or research purposes; for aquaculture (allowed only for Blue, Nile, or Mozambique tilapia, Triploid Grass Carp, or Pacific White Shrimp); or for aquatic weed control (for example, Triploid Grass Carp in private ponds). Permit applications can be found on our website. For information about possession of Mozambique Tilapia for personal use, call the Permits Coordinator at (512) 389-4444. The full text of the regulations can be found in the Texas Administrative Code.

You might also find a bunch of good information on the Texas Aquaculture Association's website and perhaps someone's ear you can bend to find out all you need to know:

Texas Aquaculture Association
Crawfish and Tilapia Culture in Texas

Please let us know if you talk to anyone and get more definitive information.

Thanks,

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

PostPosted: Oct 14th, '16, 22:28 

Are you human?: Yes
Thanks for your help :)