All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Dec 18th, '16, 18:57 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
So levels taken and yes Ammonia is non existent, Power Feed added [2-3 teaspoons]

Attachments:
water test.png
water test.png [ 604.01 KiB | Viewed 2077 times ]
test water 4.jpg
test water 4.jpg [ 8.78 KiB | Viewed 2077 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 18th, '16, 20:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
did you water direct on the veg ? That will help the veg keep ticking rather than just putting it in the water.

It will take a little bit of PF before you start seeing anything - keep it to 50ml or so in 9 Litre watering can every few days until you do eventually get an ammonia reading - that will keep the veg going irrespective of activity or lack of in the fish tank. (I think 50ml/9L is the dose on back of the bottle/container).

[edit] you will drop back pretty quickly - that is only to get the initial readings.
Lucky to have to do it once a week after that.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Dec 21st, '16, 14:06 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Yes I watered it direct.

I think tonight I'll given them some more PF, after I check the ammonia readings. As for my grow bed, I taped up the fist 4 holes [first 20 cm is taped on the PVC pipe running up the grow bed, pushing the pumped water further to the back of the grow bed ..] Why? ...... cos the GB is tilted inwards on a 1-2% gradient, the back half is dry, front half swamped :D ,, I plan to level it properly soon tho'

The water is so green tho, dark green ... I'm thinking it needs some direct sun light tho', rather than shade 24/7?

PostPosted: Dec 21st, '16, 16:54 
A posting God
A posting God

green as in pea soup algae green ?

maybe post a photo.

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '16, 07:30 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Green as in algae but I filled a glass yesterday and it looked fine, pretty clear but not tap water "clear" either. . I'm hoping its just a combo of no direct sunlight hitting the tank during the day.. and 1/3 of the tank dug under the ground (less light/sun hitting the bottom) ......... .. the fact that bottom is green with algae can't be over looked either (used 2nd hand tank not brand new..) :)

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '16, 18:24 
A posting God
A posting God

algae around the edge of the tank is fine. You will get the green scum on the side.

just in issue if you start getting clumps, long strands or water goes really think and green.

PostPosted: Dec 22nd, '16, 21:55 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
KAZ1983 wrote:

The water is so green tho, dark green ... I'm thinking it needs some direct sun light tho', rather than shade 24/7?

Hiya Kaz, your thoughts of more sun in the tank is not correct, in fact it would exasperate the algae issue. Algae is a plant and like all plants it needs sunlight to grow and multiply. With nitrates, sunlight and oxygen it thrives.
Pea soup water (Free floating algae.) is common in AP and once it's been in a system it rarely seems to return. The most common way of killing the pea soup is to remove the light source by covering the tank although it should clear in time.
Surface algae on the other hand is fine, a bit of greens for the fish to munch on, just not great on a viewing window...

You've done well greening up the little barren patch in your yard, keep the updates coming and never be afraid to ask questions.
:thumbright:

PostPosted: Dec 23rd, '16, 19:39 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

ahh that's good I'm wrong on that, less work to do lol

UPDATE; pH at 7.6, high range 8, nitrate 0 ppm, ammonia 0 ppm and nitrite 0 ppm ....... I added 200 mls of Power Feed [mixed with 2 liters of water .. small watering can..] straight direct to the grow bed and a little bit of B and B ....... anyways going forward I'm hoping to see some ammonia in the next water test ... I'm pretty happy about the pH being 7.6, maybe a tad high?? ........... my stupid friend dropped the test kit on the floor, smashin' the glass test tubes inside .. I used a clear glass with 5 mls of water in it [a teaspoon, well it is 5 mls and in this case did the trick lol] .... so my readings might be off a tad not sure?? ... but yeah, I will test tomorrow with test tubes hopefully lol

PostPosted: Dec 24th, '16, 12:12 
A posting God
A posting God

ok but be careful adding too much in a row...it wont appear as ammonia until the urea is converted....as Pete found out in his thread. not a big deal but maybe use a 9L watering can (cheap big plastic one).

PostPosted: Dec 24th, '16, 22:21 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

yep I won't for a bit me thinks ............ and yeah a 9 liter can might be a good investment.

PostPosted: Dec 24th, '16, 23:42 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

dlf_perth wrote:
algae around the edge of the tank is fine. You will get the green scum on the side.

just in issue if you start getting clumps, long strands or water goes really think and green.

algae around the edge of the tank is deffo there but nothing to be concerned over your right... as for algae clumps/long strains etc ...... I haven't seen any clumps of algae or long strains, the water is clear when looking at a 250 ml glass of the stuff .... quiet clear but looking from the top down -from the angle I'm sitting, looking at say 45 degrees over the tank - it looks murky and seeing any of the 3 fish is difficult - other friends, family have said the same..... before I filled the tank 2 weeks ago, yes the bottom was over half algae sides included.

The only reason I can figure for why it's murky looking the water is that it only looks that way because 1/3 of the main tank [half the water] is dug into the ground and with no direct sunlight into the tank water looks mucky and not clear at all [like the 250 ml glass of water showed] ... . on the other hand if the tank as above ground and made from a IBC for example.. the water with more light shinning thur it would look way clearer.. even tho it's the same water 2 vastly different systems ...... well I'm thinking that but at the end of the da the water s good, the water is clear regarless

The impeller has just recently been blocked, killing any pumping fo 24 hours... it didn't look like algae but other crap on the bottom of the tank ...... kinda more stick, vine like, mulch looking shit ... no green/dark green at all.

PostPosted: Dec 27th, '16, 13:14 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Arrrggg damn I'm annoyed, no hint of rising ammonia -plants are going yellow on the tips of their leaves ...... fish are going great tho' .... it takes time to cycle I know but yeah still annoying ......... I'm using PF every few days, I thought by now [it's been 10 days since I put the fish in 17 since the water change] .. I've putting seasol in since the 15th, blood and bone too - the seasol direct to my plants every 3 days....... but yeah, I would of thought I would of seen the urea turn into ammonia [ammonia rise] but nothing, no changes ... pH 7.6, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates 0 ppm.... I'm kinda annoyed, I hope I start seeing the ammonia rise soon -even just a tiny bit, .25 ppm etc

edit - I read on here [ viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6809 ] about worm castings speeding up the process?

PostPosted: Dec 27th, '16, 19:31 
A posting God
A posting God

it is happening Kaz.... just your goldfish are small fry in a big pond.
Plants will be using it up.

Give your plants a feed with PF - no problem if there is no ammonia showing.
Urea will convert in a short period so no issues.

some larger systems cycle without showing much nutrients when fish loads are small compared to the water volume. So if nothing building up and its been a few weeks then you could add a few more fish.
Your SP should be fine - just don't get a large number until you are sure system has cycled.

dont do anything to 'speed the process'. It is all going OK.

PostPosted: Dec 27th, '16, 19:40 

Are you human?: yes
My system took ages to show signs i was getting frusterated also but just hang in there it will happen and when it does things can climb super fast. I found adding a couple of prawn heads into the grow beds helped with my ammonia increase.

PostPosted: Dec 28th, '16, 02:33 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Okay I trust your right, no doubt and the time it takes to get into AP mode wasn't taken into consideration .. for that reason it feels like a drag rather than an important process .. as you say it's all good, no short cuts needed at this stage. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next