All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Marron Info
PostPosted: Apr 25th, '12, 17:42 

Your right Joel, I havnt seen any success story yet, you need the all year round cold water too which not too many of us have.

A friend of mine down south has had some for a few years but a lot of them have escaped or died over that time.

~Backyard farming~

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '12, 19:02 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
We had a couple that lasted about 12 months, we may still have one or two, hard to tell because you don;t see them.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Apr 25th, '12, 20:57 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Thanks for that Charlie

i proabably have some salt left in the tank but i dont have a refracto thingy to see how much :cry: i used to be very carefull about salting my top up water to try and keep it at 2 ppt but my lazy smith genes seemd to have prevented me from continuing

i did think about a hospital tank but its rather hard to catch specific trout fingerling after about 30 mins of trying i kinda gave up on that

now im thinking i have to get some more in for the trout and as you and
EB have pointed at marron are more than likely to fail anyway so ill give it a go and see how they take it

Cheers
pete

PostPosted: Apr 25th, '12, 21:09 

yea I have those lazy Jeans too :wink:

A refractometer is a good investment, you can get them for about $30 on ebay. Mine is a ATC, Arbe has the same, very easy to use.

Your right about catching a single fingerling.....not worth it....if it has a fungal issue already no use exciting it through stress.

You can salt mate so dont be worried about that, the marron will be fine. I think the reason we cant manage marron too well is due to temp swings, escapeee's and water quality. Im still doing a lot of studies on marron in AP and I will keep everyone up to speed with my findings but the truth is so far its ot an easy task....much the same as yabbies, although yabbies are more so a stocking issue due to canabilism, agression and PH.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '12, 11:33 

Are you human?: yes
Charlie wrote:

A refractometer is a good investment, you can get them for about $30 on ebay. Mine is a ATC, Arbe has the same, very easy to use.

Ahh, these refractometers will work down to 4-6 PPM then, I wasn't sure as the top end of the scale if 50. What is the small screwdriver for?

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '12, 12:36 

The small screwdriver is to adjust it. You need to put a drop of distilled water on the sight glass and then calibrate it to zero before you test your FT water.

I do this before every test.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Apr 26th, '12, 19:53 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Thanks Charlie, its nice to have someone tell you what yoru thinking is right :)

i chucked 3kg of salt in this morning see how we go from here

Cheers
pete

PostPosted: Apr 27th, '12, 09:32 

:thumbright:

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '12, 21:59 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Delgrade wrote:
5 in the bottom of my IBC sump with a mesh lid to keep em in all seem happy so far. i had put 5 in a smaller tub suspended above the tank sunday night so i wouldnt have to do too much swiming in the IBC before work and even though i covered the tub with shade cloth one went missing :dontknow: :think:

been meaning to post an update on this little guy who went AWOL ..... after the big storm ( the first one not he fizzer that came after ) when the power was out i was buckeing water to keep it circulating, whislt shining the torch in the tank to see how my troutys were doing I saw some glowing eyes on the side of the tank.... closer inspection revealed the missing Marron hiding in the folds of the tank liner

the others all seem to be doing well they realy like to climb on the milk crates ive been meaning to put some rocks in the bottom to hold the hides in place cause the water flow puches them all together and i imagine they need more space

Cheers
pete

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '12, 23:26 

Good to hear they are still going Delgrade :headbang:

Mine are really getting some size on now. Night is the best time to watch them with a torch, those red eyes cant be missed.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Sep 12th, '12, 22:00 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

found my extra marron again today.... well part of him anyway...seems he was no match for either the trout or the last few silvers and all i found was his claw in the growbed where the tank outlet falls :(

on a plus had a look in the sump where the other 5 marron are and i counted 4 of the 5 but cant quite see behind the milk crates surrounding my pump so the last one could still be there, no huge growth but i quite offten forget to feed them so no real surprises there

Cheers
pete

PostPosted: Dec 12th, '14, 19:56 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
Charlie wrote:
Hi Delgrade, was only thinking of your marron on the weekend

glad to see still have them in check :thumbright:

and yes your right....marron can withstand salinity to around 17ppt... although not desirable.

You will be fine to salt your FT and I would suggest 2ppt to shock your fungal issue and its good practice to leave it somewhere around 1-2ppt anyway as it will assist in the slimey protective coating on the trout and mitigate any nitrite toxicity if it shall spike.

Marrron growth rate will decrease somewhere after 4-5ppt so I wouldnt go too close to level for long periods of time.

Keep in mind that after you salt it takes many months for it to disapate...even longer in winter as evaporation and transporation is minimal. If your fungal issue does not seem to be on the mend it would be better to hospital tank the effected fish to around 5-6ppt for half hour or so everyday for a couple of weeks.

Fungal issues are fairly common when introducing new fish as stress brings it on, usually better to salt before introduction and then those first couple of months....but you already know all that stuff.

Hope that helps champ :thumbright:

I'm pretty sure (based on my personal experence only) you can remove salt by planting celery.

I planted some after salting and it became soooo salty it wasn't food. I also seem to recall there is a product called celery salt. I'm guessing this is salt harvested from celery because it absorbs so much as it grows.

I've never read anything to back this up, but I've also never looked.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Dec 12th, '14, 20:05 

I scored some marron and some yabbies yesterday!

I've wanted some for a while.

I have buried 90mm storm drain across each end of my 500L BYAP grow bed for water inlet and outlet, and wanted a yabby or similar in each pipe to eat the roots and make sure it never gets blocked.

I also want to breed some for food, and perhaps figure out how to stock at higher densities.

I know of a yabby farmer with a property on the River Murray that has simply dug long trenches half a meter deep and lined them with pond liner. He doesn't feed them (I guess they eat slime) and he makes his living from them.

I'm looking at my back yard, and wondering if I can get a stack of artificial lawn to cover a potential farm for my quarterly rental inspections :) They never actually try to walk on the lawn when they do an inspection, so it might work :)

My system

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Dec 12th, '14, 20:10 

Delgrade wrote:
Thanks for that Charlie

i proabably have some salt left in the tank but i dont have a refracto thingy to see how much :cry: i used to be very carefull about salting my top up water to try and keep it at 2 ppt but my lazy smith genes seemd to have prevented me from continuing

i did think about a hospital tank but its rather hard to catch specific trout fingerling after about 30 mins of trying i kinda gave up on that

now im thinking i have to get some more in for the trout and as you and
EB have pointed at marron are more than likely to fail anyway so ill give it a go and see how they take it

Cheers
pete

I always thought it might be worth always feeding your fish in a net so they get used to it. Then when ever you want to pull one out you can do so with ease.

ie leave a net in the tank, and drop your food into it every time you feed them. When the fish you want is in the net, just lift and eat/cure.

I dont actually do this because I'm too slack, but I'm pretty sure it would work.

My system

PostPosted: Feb 19th, '15, 14:18 

Are you human?: not in the mornings
Hey guys n gals..

Being as I live in one of the hearts of the marron population, I thought I would investigate having marron in an AP also.

I live directly across the road from the Collie River and have a constant supply of marron (in season of course).

So my question is..

If I catch some marron from the river, is it ok to put them in the sump to keep for a later date. IE.. clean the mud n dirt out of them that they collect from the river.
This is a common practice for preparing marron to be eaten, but we just chuck em in a bath tub for a day or 2 until they look nice and clean.

Will this contaminate my fish tank? Is there a chance of spreading disease?

This way I can not GROW marron, but more stock them for later on.. and I can routinely replenish the stocks as necessary.