All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 6th, '15, 20:32 

Are you human?: YES
Hello all,

I'm looking for fish recommendations for my first system. I've searched some other threads and found recommendations such as:

Guppies, Mollies, Tetra, Minnows, Goldfish

I'm planning on feeding them entirely (or almost entirely) on duckweed and other plant species I can grow in the tank such as Egeria. So I mostly am interested to know which might do best on this sort of diet and can stand indoor UK temps in unheated water. Though I could potentially get a solar heater going for winter.

I'd like to have more than 1 species if possible for aesthetic reasons and to reduce the amount of mating. I'd prefer to cut down on the amount of cannibalistic fry massacre - if possible.

Many thanks! :) :flower: :cheers:

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 7th, '15, 01:09 

Hi ZeeDeveel, I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum :thumbright:

Can you give us any additional information, like size of the tank/pond, indoor or outdoors, expected high and low temps. Might want to see what's legal in your area and what's available as well.

PostPosted: May 7th, '15, 03:09 

Thanks very much Scott!

It's an indoor aquarium, about 1.3m long by maybe 50cm high, 40cm deep. Indoor air temps should range between about 5C in winter and 30C in summer. (40F - 90F)

I'm not completely adverse to using a heater but it depends on the cost. I'd probably try to hook up a solar panel if I did that. Cold water fish recommendations are preferable though and they gotta love veg! :)

PostPosted: May 7th, '15, 04:10 

Is there a particular reason you want to go this route? It's likely to be much easier if you supplement their diet with commercial feed of some sort.

Channel catfish will apparently eat duckweed but they would get to large for your system (might eat the other fish too), maybe another type of catfish would work.

PostPosted: May 7th, '15, 04:40 

scotty435 wrote:
Is there a particular reason you want to go this route? It's likely to be much easier if you supplement their diet with commercial feed of some sort.

Channel catfish will apparently eat duckweed but they would get to large for your system (might eat the other fish too), maybe another type of catfish would work.

I love the idea of a completely self sufficient eco-system. If it doesn't work well, I'll concede and throw in some flakes. :)

Goldfish, White Cloud Minnows and Bloodfin Tetra's are the current shortlist. Might have a lone bottom feeder too. :)

PostPosted: May 7th, '15, 06:57 

If you plan on eating any of the plants you grow you'll be removing nutrients from the system and you'll have to replace them somehow. Most of the flake foods are formulated for maintenance of fish, not growth so they don't provide enough nutrients to do as good a job with growing plants either. For goldfish this is what Sleepe suggested to me for feed (I don't have goldfish myself but was trying to help out someone who did) -

high protein (I think 38%) 3mm commercial pellet soaked for a while to soften. He also feeds duckweed and occasionally gives them frozen baby peas microwaved and then squeezed out of their shells or carrot pulp from a juicer.

"Thing to remember about goldies is they have no real stomach (ie acid producing food breakdown area) and so need extra greens in their diet to make sure they don't get constipation."

What the Goldies don't eat falls to the bottom where he has gilgies (like Yabbies) to eat the leftovers.

------

Cheers

PostPosted: May 7th, '15, 20:59 

I've decided on Shubunkin Goldfish, Black Moor Goldfish and a shoal of White Mountain Minnows.

The competition of plants for minerals is a big concern. Would it help if I used Azolla instead of Duckweed? That'd increase nitrogen.

I might get a bottom feeder, not so keen on shrimpy type stuff!

PostPosted: May 8th, '15, 01:59 

I'd stick with Duckweed for now. I looked into Azolla a month or two ago and I have some doubts about using it because of it's association with a blue-green algae (Anabaena azollae). A. azollae apparently can produce cyanotoxins although it's been used as fodder for animals for a long time. I do have Azolla in one of my tanks but I am keeping the numbers down mostly to control snails.

PostPosted: May 8th, '15, 03:52 

Oh wow, I'll look into that. Definitely not down with cyanotoxins.

To replace the minerals could I maybe just physically put some mineral rich rocks in the bottom of the tank? Like some feldspar? http://www.ukge.com/en-GB/Orthoclase-Fe ... wgodR4EADg

PostPosted: May 8th, '15, 04:50 

I would put the rocks in a media bed - As far as I know it won't hurt your system to try it, a fair number of people use Granite to fill their grow beds (aka Blue Metal in Australia?) Seems to me that since Wiki says orthoclase is common part in most granites, some people probably already have it in their grow beds - I haven't really noticed that they do any better in the deficiency department. Might be interesting to know who uses granite and see how they are doing with potassium deficiencies since Orthoclase feldspar contains potassium among other things. :dontknow: .

Even if it works you have to take into account the pH in determining what nutrients are available (Iron especially)