All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '08, 20:31 
You're a hard man Frank....

Dictionary definitions of "Breed" .... "To produce (offspring) by hatching or gestation"... "To produce (offspring); give birth to or hatch." ....."To cause to reproduce".....

By all definitions Frank.... eggs were fertilised and hatched .... under artificial conditions...

I'd call that "successfully breed" ..... agreed they haven't created a "successful commercialisation"....

But your stretching the string a bit far mate..... and the question of "successfully breed".. doesn't automatically imply a successful commercialisation...

And you didn't mention "commercialisation".... you just said...

hygicell wrote:
Eels cannot be bred (yet).


Not true... i contend.... :tongue2:


Top
  
Reply with quote  
    Advertisement
 
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '08, 20:41 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Dec 9th, '06, 20:31
Posts: 1079
Location: Drongen, Belgium
Gender: Male
Location: Drongen, Belgium
this is definitely unfair:

if you, Duff and you, Rupe, were to invest both your capital :roll: :roll: in this venture
that would give it an enormous boost :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
which would surely nibble a few years from my estimate :geek:

but I repeat:
hygicell wrote:
believe it or not, I truly hope to be proven wrong much sooner. :flower:


frank

_________________
efficiency freak supreme
anything worth doing is worth doing without a parachute Gonzo
progress is that all Eskimos get central heating
so that they have to work off their asses to buy a refrigerator
Wim Sonnevelt


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '08, 20:42 
Offline
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Joined: Jun 2nd, '07, 20:19
Posts: 215
Location: North of Adelaide S. Australia
Gender: Male
Hygicell wrote:

Eels cannot be bred (yet).
they breed in the Sargasso sea, then swim over the ocean in one to three years
as tiny glass eels they smim up rivers and become soft water fish
after 10 to 14 years they swim back to the Sargasso sea to breed.


Question:
:?: So ALL the EElS (in the whole world) swimm to the Sargasso Sea to breed :?:

Is that a fact :?:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '08, 20:44 
Haven't got any spare funds at the moment Frank.... tied up in another venture .... :wink:

But I did email them tonight regarding the "status" of their research...

Have a friend who's started farming eels (another Kiwi... :lol:)....and probably would be willing to invest in some research.... :wink:


Top
  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '08, 20:52 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Dec 9th, '06, 20:31
Posts: 1079
Location: Drongen, Belgium
Gender: Male
Location: Drongen, Belgium
RupertofOZ wrote:
You're a hard man Frank....


nope, I'm not, much as you try to picture me so
quite the contrary:

no matter how much definitions you are now summing up to avoid the obvious:

I have elaborately explained and even adapted my statement,
fact which you systematically ignore as you keep on picking on the original one

for your sake and better understanding, here is my final one:

TMHO glass eels cannot be bred on a reliable and commercially viable scale to serve as a reliable supply for raising eels in AP (yet).

I apologize humbly for the misunderstanding which is entirely my fault

now can you live with that?
or should I grovel even further?

to me this subject is closed

Frank

_________________
efficiency freak supreme
anything worth doing is worth doing without a parachute Gonzo
progress is that all Eskimos get central heating
so that they have to work off their asses to buy a refrigerator
Wim Sonnevelt


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '08, 20:55 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Dec 9th, '06, 20:31
Posts: 1079
Location: Drongen, Belgium
Gender: Male
Location: Drongen, Belgium
heka wrote:
Question:
:?: So ALL the EElS (in the whole world) swim to the Sargasso Sea to breed :?:

Is that a fact :?:

to my knowledge it is except for the Japanese eels who breed around an island group somewhere in the ocean off the Japanese coast

frank

_________________
efficiency freak supreme
anything worth doing is worth doing without a parachute Gonzo
progress is that all Eskimos get central heating
so that they have to work off their asses to buy a refrigerator
Wim Sonnevelt


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '08, 21:01 
Offline
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Joined: Jun 2nd, '07, 20:19
Posts: 215
Location: North of Adelaide S. Australia
Gender: Male
hygicell wrote:
heka wrote:
Question:
:?: So ALL the EElS (in the whole world) swim to the Sargasso Sea to breed :?:

Is that a fact :?:

to my knowledge it is except for the Japanese eels who breed around an island group somewhere in the ocean off the Japanese coast

frank



So you reckon they swimm around Cape Horn and Southern Africa to breed in the Sargasso Sea :?:

:?: Is there not a difference between Saltwater Eels and Freshwater Eels :?:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '08, 21:07 
Most Australian, NZ and Southern Hemisphere tropical eels are thought to spawn around New Caledonia....

Quote:
Further to the north, in the areas around New Caledonia, eel-larvae are extremely abundant and indicate that New Caledonia and adjacent waters are close to, or coincident with, areas where spawning and early development of many eels takes place


Top
  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '08, 21:19 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Dec 9th, '06, 20:31
Posts: 1079
Location: Drongen, Belgium
Gender: Male
Location: Drongen, Belgium
RupertofOZ wrote:
Most Australian, NZ and Southern Hemisphere tropical eels are thought to spawn around New Caledonia....

Quote:
Further to the north, in the areas around New Caledonia, eel-larvae are extremely abundant and indicate that New Caledonia and adjacent waters are close to, or coincident with, areas where spawning and early development of many eels takes place


this is confirmed by wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-finned_Eel

frank

_________________
efficiency freak supreme
anything worth doing is worth doing without a parachute Gonzo
progress is that all Eskimos get central heating
so that they have to work off their asses to buy a refrigerator
Wim Sonnevelt


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 27th, '08, 21:24 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Dec 9th, '06, 20:31
Posts: 1079
Location: Drongen, Belgium
Gender: Male
Location: Drongen, Belgium
heka wrote:
hygicell wrote:
heka wrote:
Question:
:?: So ALL the EElS (in the whole world) swim to the Sargasso Sea to breed :?:

Is that a fact :?:

to my knowledge it is except for the Japanese eels who breed around an island group somewhere in the ocean off the Japanese coast

frank



So you reckon they swimm around Cape Horn and Southern Africa to breed in the Sargasso Sea :?:

:?: Is there not a difference between Saltwater Eels and Freshwater Eels :?:


my knowledge is expanding:
like Rupert pointed out, Anguilla Australis spawns off the New Caledonia coast
still a distance of over 3000 km for the adults
and back for the glass eels

frank

_________________
efficiency freak supreme
anything worth doing is worth doing without a parachute Gonzo
progress is that all Eskimos get central heating
so that they have to work off their asses to buy a refrigerator
Wim Sonnevelt


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 28th, '08, 10:00 
Offline
Spam Assassin (Be afraid!)
Spam Assassin     (Be afraid!)
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24th, '06, 11:50
Posts: 10202
Location: Townsville
Gender: Female
Location: home
you've been talking about the shortfinned eels Anguilla australis, which are found in the southern areas of Australia, and grow to about 1m and 3kg.
http://www.nativefish.asn.au/

Also of interest is the longfinned eel Anguilla reinhardtii , found all over the eastern coast of Australia, and grow to about 1.5m and up to 22kg.
http://www.austmus.gov.au/fishes/fishfa ... inhard.htm

_________________
.
.
.
................................................................. . Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 28th, '08, 16:30 
Offline
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Joined: Jun 2nd, '07, 20:19
Posts: 215
Location: North of Adelaide S. Australia
Gender: Male
I might sound VERY pedantic here, BUT I'm still not convinced by Statements like: All the EELS breed in the Sargasso Sea
or eels bread off the coast of New Caledonia or an island near Japan.
IMO .....some do breed there. But I also think that some might just breed where they are.
I have seen (and cought them) in New Guinea on an island just 1 1/2 - 2 degrees south of the equator. About 50 - 60 cm in lenght - like other eels (NZ & European) they taste excellent ......... smoked.

Have they done any tagging to track their movements? I don't think so. Probably too slippery to stick a tag on :wink:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 28th, '08, 17:07 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Dec 9th, '06, 20:31
Posts: 1079
Location: Drongen, Belgium
Gender: Male
Location: Drongen, Belgium
heka wrote:
I might sound VERY pedantic here, BUT I'm still not convinced by Statements like: All the EELS breed in the Sargasso Sea
or eels bread off the coast of New Caledonia or an island near Japan.
IMO .....some do breed there. But I also think that some might just breed where they are.
I have seen (and cought them) in New Guinea on an island just 1 1/2 - 2 degrees south of the equator. About 50 - 60 cm in lenght - like other eels (NZ & European) they taste excellent ......... smoked.

Have they done any tagging to track their movements? I don't think so. Probably too slippery to stick a tag on :wink:

maybe do some research yourself, Heka?
and add your findings so we can all learn?
better than questioning the well intended posts on only your gut feeling
there actually has been tracking of movements, you will soon find confirmation of this
how else would they have found the breeding grounds?

frank

_________________
efficiency freak supreme
anything worth doing is worth doing without a parachute Gonzo
progress is that all Eskimos get central heating
so that they have to work off their asses to buy a refrigerator
Wim Sonnevelt


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 28th, '08, 19:39 
Offline
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Joined: Jun 2nd, '07, 20:19
Posts: 215
Location: North of Adelaide S. Australia
Gender: Male
Frankly.....I couldn't give a **** where they breed or not breed, as long as they are there!

Just couldn't work out .....how they would get around Cape Horn or Southern Africa to breed in the Sargasso Sea.

I'll leave the research to the wise guys.........I'll keep my gut feeling :wink:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Nov 28th, '08, 19:46 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Dec 9th, '06, 20:31
Posts: 1079
Location: Drongen, Belgium
Gender: Male
Location: Drongen, Belgium
heka wrote:
Frankly.....I couldn't give a **** where they breed or not breed, as long as they are there!
Just couldn't work out .....how they would get around Cape Horn or Southern Africa to breed in the Sargasso Sea.
I'll leave the research to the wise guys.........I'll keep my gut feeling :wink:

I keep wondering why people insist on posting comments on subjects that don't interest them

... strange ...

frank

_________________
efficiency freak supreme
anything worth doing is worth doing without a parachute Gonzo
progress is that all Eskimos get central heating
so that they have to work off their asses to buy a refrigerator
Wim Sonnevelt


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Portal by phpBB3 Portal © phpBB Türkiye
[ Time : 0.115s | 16 Queries | GZIP : Off ]