All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crayfish system
PostPosted: Jul 1st, '11, 03:17 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Take me 2 ur leader
Charlie wrote:
EDU systems IMO are an absolute disgrace to Australian aquaculture farming. It is cage farming at its greatest and is solely directed at supplying the japanese market.

Gah! I couldn't agree more. I saw those pics of the EDU system on the Blue Yabby site and felt sick. Classic disgusting battery farming.
:upset:

Profile Personal album  
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 12th, '11, 08:18 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Will Procambarus crayfish eat each other if they share a tank? I'm thinking of getting some to put in my floating island growbeds.

PostPosted: Sep 12th, '11, 15:35 
Yes they will eat each other. Especially, the females that are not in breeding form. Even the males have the same problem.

PostPosted: Sep 12th, '11, 18:05 

Are you human?: Daughters think not
Not allowed marron here in Vic. :cry:
Anyhoo, should be able to find as many yabbies as we like this spring summer as we have water everywhere.. Gonna try the river this sunday for yabbies and maybe a redfin or catty
Still got yabbies in my sump but havent seen any babbies at all, so I guess they get eaten

PostPosted: Sep 12th, '11, 18:43 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Drat. :( Oh well, it was a nice idea....

PostPosted: Dec 28th, '11, 13:21 

Recirculating water systems are usually used when there is no other alternative, usually when there is limited amounts of water available, or for improved efficiency if large volumes of water are required to be heated or cooled.

A recirculating or water reuse system is a series of water treatment units that combine to create a self-contained marine or freshwater environment. The system usually contains apparatus in the following sequence:

purging tank for animals
settlement tank or solids filter
protein skimmer/foam fractionator
biofilter
reservoir
pH buffering unit
pump(s), aerators and, if required, heating and cooling units.
More than one of these functions may be performed in (or by) the same unit. For example, the biofilter may be housed in the reservoir, with the substrate acting as the pH buffer (limestone or shellgrit). The most complex of these components is the biofilter, since it is essentially a collection of living organisms (bacteria), growing on small particles or substrates which give a very large surface area. Therefore, the biofilter has requirements that must be met if the bacteria are to survive and function. Any deviation from these requirements may impair the performance of the bacteria or, if severe, may result in the collapse of the biofilter, through death of the bacteria.

PostPosted: Jan 21st, '12, 10:54 

Crawfish Yum, Yum we eat them and suck the head's! There a few 1000 acre of crawfish farms around my house so all I have to do is dig a 1 foot deep pit of my land and plant rice and i get a few 1000 lbs of them yearly...I boil around 80 lbs at a time...very addicting

Boil for 10 mins with a stick of butter liquid spice or dry
Then drop a bag of ice in and let them sit so there not cooking just sucking up the spices
Then pour them bit by bit in a igloo layer them with juice of lemons, oranges then throw them in to. and sprinkle some of this or make your own
http://www.cajunwholesale.com/ccp51/cgi ... AFOOD_BOIL

Game over you have made crack!

I'm thinking I could do the same thing with just a large cider block tank with a liner what media to use so they can dig in I dunno..

PostPosted: Jan 21st, '12, 21:50 

Aerogel wrote:
Crawfish Yum, Yum we eat them and suck the head's!

jeez...you must be a Maori?....Rupe.... :D

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jan 21st, '12, 22:19 

Charlie wrote:
Aerogel wrote:
Crawfish Yum, Yum we eat them and suck the head's!

jeez...you must be a Maori?....Rupe.... :D

Close!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass :D

PostPosted: Jan 21st, '12, 22:43 

Im sorry Aerogel I read through the article but (hope Im not entirely retarded) but Im not getting the terminology...pls put it in lam-ins terms for me :thumbleft:

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jan 24th, '12, 18:42 

Charlie wrote:
Im sorry Aerogel I read through the article but (hope Im not entirely retarded) but Im not getting the terminology...pls put it in lam-ins terms for me :thumbleft:

We eat everything :) and if it taste funny well we just nuke it ;)

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '12, 04:55 
Man I have watched the cajuns sucking the inards outa the heads of the Crawdads and I initially went eeek... Then I had a go with Australian crayfish and if you boil them up Cajun like with plenty of seasoning they are xlent. (must try and get some of that seasoning in a can from over there)

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '12, 00:41 

Are you human?: yes
saw a youtube vid with a guy that had a micro ap sys with crawfish. my idea would be main tank fish that runs into a shallow settling tank put then crawfish in this settleing tank then pipe it up to the grow bead. let the algea build up in the settle tank first. you could also put any plant waste in this tank. your thoughts?

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '12, 17:07 

Are you human?: Yes
saw a youtube vid with a guy that had a micro ap sys with crawfish. my idea would be main tank fish that runs into a shallow settling tank put then crawfish in this settleing tank then pipe it up to the grow bead. let the algea build up in the settle tank first. you could also put any plant waste in this tank. your thoughts?
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:11 am

Well at the end of the day yabbies prefer green matter over the likes of meat and dead animals, but they perform best when feed on micro organisms, but a AP system will filter most of that out of the water and they have a habit of causing wild PH swings.

The main problem I find with growing yabbies is the growing area as they only live on the bottom but like you have been talking the blue yabby idea is too high in stock rate per m2, and 20g yabby is bait not food I never could under stand how people can eat yabbies under 60g at the min,

PostPosted: Apr 13th, '12, 04:43 

Are you human?: yes
Gotchy wrote:
Well at the end of the day yabbies prefer green matter over the likes of meat and dead animals, but they perform best when feed on micro organisms, but a AP system will filter most of that out of the water and they have a habit of causing wild PH swings.

i assumed they would prefer algae how ever in the same video( search crawfish farming0 he was feeding them leftovers chicken and such. couldn't you add a bo filter after the grow bed to promote more bacteria to help with the ph offset?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next