All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 20th, '16, 04:15 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Yes
I'm looking to switch my tilapia feed. Currently, I'm using a pond supplemental (unknowingly) feed.

What are the differences between AquaMAX starter vs Pond vs Sport feeds? Purinas AquaMAX website does not give too many details. They certain dont list the ingredients.

The AquaMAX Pond 4000 says its a 100% Complete feed. I can get a 40-50 pound bag for $29

The AquaMAX Starter 400 says its also 100% Nutritionaly complete feed. 50 pound bag for $62.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

System Thread

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 20th, '16, 13:10 

Are you human?: YES
Yeah, they don't make it too easy unless you have a bag of feed in front of you with the ingredients on the tag. You can see pretty good descriptions of these on amazon, someone is selling them and has the labels posted. Either would work for the Tilapia. The 400 has higher quality protein (animal protein is first on the list vs plant proteins for the 400)and is helpful for training fish to eat floating chow (50% float rate) but I'd probably go with the 36% protein floating feed it should be good enough and the difference in the price is a bit much. You can probably figure a way to add some protein to their diet for the younger fish and I think the plants will do OK on this feed. I could be wrong but I don't think of Tilapia as being hard to feed train and they become less carnivorous as they get older.

PostPosted: Jul 20th, '16, 13:24 

Are you human?: YES
You might also want to see if Aquamax 4000 dense is still available since that's designed for recirculating aquaculture systems instead of ponds. I know from previous posts that TCLynx was using this for catfish and bluegill with good success and it should work for Tilapia.

By Sport do you mean their Game Fish Chow? I've used this many years back and it did OK except for one problem. I usually have cool temps and low stocking levels and the protein is only 32% so the plants weren't getting as much to work with and didn't grow as well (at least I think this is what was going on). I prefer to go with feeds that are at least 36% proteing but in warmer climates or with lots of fish where you're feeding more, it may not matter as much. I'm currently using a 40% protein feed but I'm not growing Tilapia.

PostPosted: Jul 20th, '16, 19:28 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Yes
Scotty, thanks for the reply. You have been very consistant with helping me find answers. Thank you. I'll post a question on tclynx thread and see what she is using.

System Thread