All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Nov 9th, '13, 13:11 

Are you human?: yes
yesterday a fish had ick so i removed it from the tank and placed a heater in the tank and brought the tank to 78 degrees. When i woke up the tank was at 72 and there was this white cloudy fungus what i believe to be ick in its advanced stage. what should i do? the fish are behaving strangely and i have no aquarium salt?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 10th, '13, 02:18 
A posting God
A posting God

do you have "kosher" salt?
it'll do in a pinch...

PostPosted: Nov 13th, '13, 00:28 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Ick is a parasite that shows on the fish like white pimples, not a white cloudy fungus. Most fish "fungus" diseases are actually bacteria but people call them fungus because they often look a bit like fungus or mold to us.

Anyway, salting to about 3 ppt and warming up the water (but not too fast) is the most common way to treat for ick and sometimes other diseases (though some of the other bacterial diseases would require a much higher salt level that might actually kill certain kinds of fish so you need to research which fish can handle salt levels or 6 ppt).

Suddenly warming the water up too fast can cause all sorts of things to bloom (algae, bacteria etc) and also cause the fish to act strange.

Old 300 gallon System

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Jan 29th, '14, 09:31 

TCLynx wrote:
Another place (other than eaten by other fish, predator, or human) that small fish can go missing is a over large pump intake or even the fishy waterslide (gravity plumbing to sump or grow beds.) Make sure your fish are protected from your plumbing.

I second that. I have lost more than a couple fish to plumbing and pump issues.

PostPosted: May 2nd, '14, 22:34 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
So Im going through my initial startup and everything has been fine with the fish till a few days ago. I had 60 goldies in a a 250 gal FT (IBC). Bought them small and the largest is probably barely pushing 3 inches. Im getting a little algae bloom. The water isnt too cloudy but I can see the green along the walls and on my SLOs. There is a slight string green here and there where the water flows. I know algae is always going to have some level in the system and that the signs of it now are "good" because they show the beginning stages. BUT! This past week Ive had at least one or two goldies die out, typically the smaller ones. They dont have spots on them and their color seems fine. I have been feeding once a day, usually around noon, and the fish seem to go for the flakes the minute my head is no longer visibly moving to them. I decided to hold off a day or two before I feed them.

Could possibly, even though weve had warm weather, the fish still have the low metabolism and theyre getting gut rot? I also have another 55 gallon drum FT with about twenty goldies in it and one finally bit the dust today.

The ph was 6.5 yesterday and my ammonia was a nice green around 1ppm.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21842

My Dabblings:

www.mmb-dabbleon.com

PostPosted: May 20th, '14, 06:23 

Hello

I really need some help if someone can spare a minute!!!
I have an 80 gallon reservoir with a growing tray on top planted with lettuces, basil, strawberries etc. My fish are goldfish, or were because only 2 remain and a pleistocomus also.
The system has been running for about 6 weeks (after cycling), to start with I put 15 really small goldfish into the system. The first days everything seemed fine but then I started finding 1 or 2 fished dead per day, no external visible signs of illness. The deads kept going until 2 of the goldfish and 2 pleistocomus remained. I have to say that ALL my readings were fine, temperature was 24C, ammonia between 0 and 0.3, No trace of nitrites, PH around 7 and stable and Nitrates around 10 ppm.

After these 2 goldfish survived I salted the system very lightly and kept changing 25% of water per week, I also added Pemafix bacterial whose main active agent is an oil. Fishes were looking very happy so I decided to introduce 2 new goldfish to see if I killed the bacteria (this is my own diagnostic I am not sure) and they looked very happy for 4 days, then the 2 new fishes and 1 Pleistocomus who has been there for over a month were found dead today, the other 2 goldfish still looking fine.

Fishes die overnight 4 to 6 days after being introduced to the reservoir, never immediately.

Problem is I can not add any more fish to the system because they keep dying, but the others remain.

I will really appreciate if any of you has got the faintest idea of what is going on, this info can help:

The water has some maxicrop (but in powder) dissolved to supplement deficiencies from before the fish were there.

I salted the water lightly (a teaspoon per gallon) and salted the water I added on the changes.

I feed my fish a very conservative amount of food 1 time a day and spiruline in weekends

In case that helps, my system is interior under a MH lamp 14 hrs of daylight per day.

PostPosted: May 21st, '14, 01:51 

Could be an oxygen level issue. The earlier fish may have died from Nitrite poisoning before you salted.

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '14, 16:48 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES, on my best days
HELP!! I transferred my 1500-1800L pond from the previous owner's house to mine, only about 5 minutes drive away, and had about a dozen koi and goldfish sitting in a 100L container of their original (quite green) pond water for about 2-3 hours (no added O2 as the air pump hasn't arrived yet). I figured since koi are just a big carp they'd be OK, but the four biggest Koi started doing the sideways float after probably an hour. I transferred them into the pond with pump running (4000L pond max that came with the pond) and fresh water in there but they are still sideways a few hours on, gills moving but not much else. I think one of them might now be completely cactus.
Does anyone have any resuscitation advice? Or am I boned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first system: Kat's "Pretty" Aquaponics
My second system: Kat's Newer & Bigger System
My backyard: Kat's (soon-to-be) Suburban Oasis
My tangents: Cheese-making

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '14, 16:52 
A posting God
A posting God

Different ph? Different temp? Make a hospital tank with aeration and salt (not table salt)

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '14, 16:54 
Legend Member
Legend Member

These are the patients. The water is new, however I didn't wash the pump or canister filter after moving the system as I figured the good bacteria would help the fish adjust to the new water, that's why the water looks quite green still. You can imagine what the original pond water looked like based on this.
So, these guys are suffering from a lack of DO and/or shock, not a disease or longer term problem, just to help with any suggestions you might have for me to help them recover from their traumatic experience....
Really wishing I'd just taken the risk of dumping them straight in the pond now [DISAPPOINTED FACE]

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '14, 16:56 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Thanks jay, they started doing the float when they were in their existing pond water (pea soupy looking stuff) so I think it's DO-related. Will salt help them get over that too?
The pond isn't hooked up to grow beds yet so I can salt the whole thing to my heart's content at the moment.

I have some pure rock salt so I'll give it a go if you think it will help.

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '14, 16:58 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Whoops that wasn't the video. I will try and put it up now

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '14, 19:07 
A posting God
A posting God

I would test ph

PostPosted: Aug 2nd, '14, 19:24 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: mostly
Hi,
Goldfish are almost indestructible . . . . unless they have no oxygen . . . you pond is in full sun, hence the algae. Hence the DO depletion , hence DEAD FISH.

Cheers IanK

PostPosted: Aug 3rd, '14, 09:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Hi Ian, The algae was pre-existing when I bought the pond (with fish included). Only had one loss though in the end Ian, on transfer day. It was a big koi and not a goldfish - they are indeed indestructible!
And I'm pleased to say that after a bit of TLC, a few weeks later the pond is now substantially clearer than when I bought it :-) I can see the pump on the bottom now and can even see my one sneaky silver perch in there, against the black background no less.
You're right about DO though, but in my case it was more because they spent too long in their transport vessel. Undeniably my fault, but no move ever goes as smoothly as one thinks/hopes it will!
Cheers
Kat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next