All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Tomato Height
PostPosted: Jul 5th, '17, 23:55 

Are you human?: Yes
Hello all-
So I was curious on a question I had about growing tomatoes in my system. I currently have two growing as a test and are approx 20ish + inches tall and are beginning to flower. They are a indeterminate type Amish paste tomato. So my question really is do I want to prune out the height ofnthese things as my space is limited and does anyone have suggestions on an appropriate prunes height to still product yield ? My system us a flood and drain , three times an hour with bell siphon. It is current in the basement under LEDs.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Tomato Height
PostPosted: Jul 6th, '17, 00:11 

Are you human?: YES
You have a couple of choices. If you have enough space and light you can train the tomato to a single lead and string it up to a wire or hanger and as they grow taller unwind the string from the hanger and lower the tomato plant down and to the side. Tomato Roller hooks are made specifically for doing this but you can also do it without one (Watch the video here to get the idea on using roller hooks - http://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-supplies/crop-supports/rollerhook/rollerhook-7047.html)

The other option is to clip the top off the plant (there will probably be more than one lead to trim but they won't all get too tall at the same time). I usually do this in the late summer/early fall to get the plant to focus on ripening the fruit it has rather than putting out new growth that will die with the first frost.

You could also start with plants sized to your environment and possibly a determinate plant might be a better choice for your setup.

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '17, 01:00 

Are you human?: Yes
I was actually considering that switch to determine I just want sure what would happen to an indeterminate by chopping the top. Also my basement remains a steady 67-74 all year and I do get cold cold winters. So I am curious just how long I can keep them alive for even with a chopped top

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '17, 04:51 

Are you human?: YES
Wouldn't surprise me if you got some new growth after topping the plant but there usually isn't time for much with the outdoor ones. Considering you don't want the height having the side shoots wouldn't be a bad thing if you have the space horizontally. You could instead let them grow up and then treat them as a tree when they get the height you want. For that you wouldn't want to top the plant, you'd train it horizontally instead. Epcot Center has had some that have grown a really long time in the tree form -

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/tomato-tree-in-epcots-land-pavilion-breaks-world-record/
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/tomato-tree-instructions-59109.html