All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: May 26th, '16, 13:16 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Jan 11th, '12, 20:18
Posts: 309
Location: Lochiel Park, Campbelltown SA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
And I prefer stir fried broccoli than stir fried caterpillar.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
My system:
- 5000L fish pond, 4 x 350L grow beds, 130 gold fish
- first system set up in Feb 2012, expansion in April

History to April 2, 2012:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11530&start=240#p322974


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
    Advertisement
 
PostPosted: May 26th, '16, 13:58 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 26th, '10, 07:17
Posts: 9031
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Oregon, USA
I hate it when that happens, they'd be Fish food pretty quick around here :thumbright: . Dipel works for the caterpillers in case you miss any.

Looks like you have some leaf miners as well.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 26th, '16, 14:07 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Jan 11th, '12, 20:18
Posts: 309
Location: Lochiel Park, Campbelltown SA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
scotty435 wrote:
I hate it when that happens, they'd be Fish food pretty quick around here :thumbright: . Dipel works for the caterpillers in case you miss any.

Looks like you have some leaf miners as well.

So you pick each of them to feed fish? A lot of work! But may be I try.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
My system:
- 5000L fish pond, 4 x 350L grow beds, 130 gold fish
- first system set up in Feb 2012, expansion in April

History to April 2, 2012:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11530&start=240#p322974


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 26th, '16, 14:26 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 26th, '10, 07:17
Posts: 9031
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Oregon, USA
It's hard to get them all Sejin. I usually pick what I can find, feed these to the fish and then use dipel to kill the rest.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 26th, '16, 14:33 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Jan 11th, '12, 20:18
Posts: 309
Location: Lochiel Park, Campbelltown SA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
scotty435 wrote:
It's hard to get them all Sejin. I usually pick what I can find, feed these to the fish and then use dipel to kill the rest.

Is dispel aquaponics safe?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
My system:
- 5000L fish pond, 4 x 350L grow beds, 130 gold fish
- first system set up in Feb 2012, expansion in April

History to April 2, 2012:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11530&start=240#p322974


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 26th, '16, 14:34 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Jan 11th, '12, 20:18
Posts: 309
Location: Lochiel Park, Campbelltown SA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Sejin wrote:
scotty435 wrote:
It's hard to get them all Sejin. I usually pick what I can find, feed these to the fish and then use dipel to kill the rest.

Is dispel aquaponics safe?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, dipel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
My system:
- 5000L fish pond, 4 x 350L grow beds, 130 gold fish
- first system set up in Feb 2012, expansion in April

History to April 2, 2012:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11530&start=240#p322974


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 26th, '16, 16:24 
Offline
Legend Member
Legend Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 3rd, '16, 08:46
Posts: 977
Gender: Female
Are you human?: grudgingly
Location: Canberra, Australia
Yup! Dipel contains bacteria that won't affect fish or humans, just insects. Basically the caterpillars eat it along with your veggies, and it gives them a really bad case of Gastro. :twisted: The bonus is that helpful predatory insects won't be affected by it, because they aren't eating your plants so won't swallow the Dipel.

_________________
Redcap Builds A System


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 26th, '16, 16:30 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Jan 11th, '12, 20:18
Posts: 309
Location: Lochiel Park, Campbelltown SA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Mel Redcap wrote:
Yup! Dipel contains bacteria that won't affect fish or humans, just insects. Basically the caterpillars eat it along with your veggies, and it gives them a really bad case of Gastro. :twisted: The bonus is that helpful predatory insects won't be affected by it, because they aren't eating your plants so won't swallow the Dipel.

Thanks for explanation. I will try.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
My system:
- 5000L fish pond, 4 x 350L grow beds, 130 gold fish
- first system set up in Feb 2012, expansion in April

History to April 2, 2012:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11530&start=240#p322974


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 26th, '16, 21:16 
Offline
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Joined: Feb 27th, '16, 01:22
Posts: 51
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Nederland, braband
Last year i havested a hole bucket full of caterpillers from my broccoli!
They are pretty easy to spot if you know where to look.

But i found it far more effective to remove the eggs before they hatched, as i was removing caterpiller from my broccoli i could see the butterflys laying new eggs!...

If you look underneath your broccoli leaves you should see (in my case) yellow egges attached to the leaves.
Destroy them before they hatch and you crop wont be harmed.

Idealy you could use a net to stop the butterflys reaching your crops ;)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 27th, '16, 11:25 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Jan 11th, '12, 20:18
Posts: 309
Location: Lochiel Park, Campbelltown SA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Njord wrote:
Last year i havested a hole bucket full of caterpillers from my broccoli!
They are pretty easy to spot if you know where to look.

But i found it far more effective to remove the eggs before they hatched, as i was removing caterpiller from my broccoli i could see the butterflys laying new eggs!...

If you look underneath your broccoli leaves you should see (in my case) yellow egges attached to the leaves.
Destroy them before they hatch and you crop wont be harmed.

Idealy you could use a net to stop the butterflys reaching your crops ;)





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
My system:
- 5000L fish pond, 4 x 350L grow beds, 130 gold fish
- first system set up in Feb 2012, expansion in April

History to April 2, 2012:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11530&start=240#p322974


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 27th, '16, 11:26 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Jan 11th, '12, 20:18
Posts: 309
Location: Lochiel Park, Campbelltown SA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Njord wrote:
Last year i havested a hole bucket full of caterpillers from my broccoli!
They are pretty easy to spot if you know where to look.

But i found it far more effective to remove the eggs before they hatched, as i was removing caterpiller from my broccoli i could see the butterflys laying new eggs!...

If you look underneath your broccoli leaves you should see (in my case) yellow egges attached to the leaves.
Destroy them before they hatch and you crop wont be harmed.

Idealy you could use a net to stop the butterflys reaching your crops ;)

Will try both. Seems good ideas.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
My system:
- 5000L fish pond, 4 x 350L grow beds, 130 gold fish
- first system set up in Feb 2012, expansion in April

History to April 2, 2012:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11530&start=240#p322974


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 27th, '16, 11:27 
Offline
A posting God
A posting God

Joined: Nov 10th, '12, 09:27
Posts: 2667
Gender: Male
Are you human?: maybe
Location: Vic
best time to find caterpillars is at night or early morning when they are out feeding.
always check the back of the leaves and at the base of stalks, thats where they tend to hide.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 27th, '16, 14:12 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 26th, '10, 07:17
Posts: 9031
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Oregon, USA
Look for their fras (poop) as well they are usually above areas where you find this.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: May 27th, '16, 16:57 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Jan 11th, '12, 20:18
Posts: 309
Location: Lochiel Park, Campbelltown SA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Yavimaya wrote:
best time to find caterpillars is at night or early morning when they are out feeding.
always check the back of the leaves and at the base of stalks, thats where they tend to hide.

Yes, morning.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
My system:
- 5000L fish pond, 4 x 350L grow beds, 130 gold fish
- first system set up in Feb 2012, expansion in April

History to April 2, 2012:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11530&start=240#p322974


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: curiongu and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Portal by phpBB3 Portal © phpBB Türkiye
[ Time : 0.057s | 17 Queries | GZIP : Off ]