All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Nutrients Question.
PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '16, 07:16 

Are you human?: yes
This is a picture of a cilantro plant in soil.

Attachment:
Aquaponics Nutrients 001.JPG
Aquaponics Nutrients 001.JPG [ 120.09 KiB | Viewed 1974 times ]

This is another cilantro plant in the AP system. Both were planted the same day.

Attachment:
Aquaponics Nutrients 002.JPG
Aquaponics Nutrients 002.JPG [ 102.44 KiB | Viewed 1974 times ]

It is not really apparent but the second plant is smaller as well as "weaker looking"

As has been mentioned in a previous thread I have been looking at a possible nutrient deficiency problem and have received some good advice but still have some questions.

Bone meal and Blood meal have been suggested and I was finally able to find some. The description was "Organic" does this make any difference or are they all the same? What quantity and method should I apply the product? Scotty 435 previously suggested sprinkling on the GB and/or at the base of the plant. But how much. I don't want overdo it.

Attachment:
Aquaponics Nutrients 006.JPG
Aquaponics Nutrients 006.JPG [ 92.52 KiB | Viewed 1974 times ]

Finally, this is the product that I used in the FT And it turned the water so dark I couldn't see the fish!
I would like to use it as a spray to the leaves, How much and how often?

Attachment:
Aquaponics Nutrients 010.JPG
Aquaponics Nutrients 010.JPG [ 69.99 KiB | Viewed 1974 times ]

I have seen in my case anyway, the plants all seem to do better in soil rather than in the AP system. Somewhere along the way I'm missing something. :think:

Thank you for any help.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Nutrients Question.
PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '16, 09:24 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Pls provide more info on your system or a link to a thread. Useful info would include things like
Water parameters (temperature, chemistry)
Water source (tap, rain, pond, etc)
System parameters (size of gbs, ft, plumbing, age)
Number and type of fish, what and how much they're fed.

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '16, 10:22 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
not sure on the products - You would need someone like scotty435 to advise.
In Aust we have a blood&bone product with added potash. So consider mixing in some potash as well.

You don't want too much/any phosphorous and keep in mind that nitrogen will lead to ammonia and nitrates.

just sprinkle small amounts directly on to the grow bed and water in lightly with a watering can.
not sure of your grow bed size, but a small handful should do quite a few plants.

Best to add the Liquid Seaweed via a watering can direct to the grow beds.
That way it doesn't affect FT and it is delivered where it is needed.
Try mixing up half strength in a watering can and then watering the beds and plants, but not too much.
Go for a light-moderate water - not a soaking if that makes sense.
I often then water again with just fish tank water to wet it down to roots.

>> I have seen in my case anyway, the plants all seem to do better in soil rather than in the AP system

you are not alone. There are people in past who eventually focused more on wicking beds etc.
In addition many systems produce lettuce etc OK but find more effective to grow other veg other ways.
Just got to figure out what works for you. There are a lot of variables in AP and its not the be all and end all.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '16, 11:15 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
My ten cents worth,stop adding stuff to the system,your systems new and it needs time,the minute you start chucking stuff in you loose some control,once it's in there it's dam hard to get it out. Your small cilantro looks like it's suffering Potassium deficiency,but it's going to be a combination of a few I should imagine. I would adopt a foliar spray regime until such time as my bed matured and starting supply more nutrients into the system,maybe try to find a all round NPK soluble fertilizer 6-20-20,to that add a little chelated iron and maybe a splash of seaweed extract,then start spraying every seven to ten days,you could add a spray of Calcium mixed in with this and in between spraying give them a very fine mist of RO water PH adjusted to 6.5,actuall I forgot your foliar mix also needs to be around PH 6.5,spray on an evening or during the day if you have a cloudy day with high humidity.
Above all don't get disheartened I have been doing this for over three years and iam still trying to work everything out.... :think:

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '16, 13:59 

Are you human?: YES
First off I don't know if the organic label really has any meaning in this context :dontknow: . Lets face it we're made of blood and bone and I'm thinking I'm organic so who knows what they're saying :?

I don't remember if you have fish or how many you have but as far as being concerned about spikes in ammonia and nitrites - it pays to be cautious (especially if you have fish) but those of us who have used this haven't had any troubles using these amounts, at least not that I'm aware of. The rate is somewhere around 50gm per 1000 L of grow bed and it's just sprinkled around the grow bed (you don't need a great big bag). With the two separate products I'd probably do 25 gms of each per 1000L. I usually only do this if I'm seeing some signs that there are deficiencies or I know I don't have enough fish to run the system.

Most fish food already contains these products so you aren't adding anything you wouldn't get with most fish foods.

You could wait and eventually things will turn around but that does take some time and you may lose some plants in the meantime. Spraying the nutrients on will give you faster results than any other method and is a valid option. It involves a bit more preparation work than the Blood and Bone but works well. Any of the choices will eventually get the job done.

Yep, Maxicrop will do that. I usually spray apply it but I've added it to the sump and I've added it to the inlet area of the grow bed. In order of my preference (best to worst) - Spray apply, apply to grow bed, apply to sump. I think you can get by using less when applied directly to the plants or in the grow beds. Check the rate for foliar application on the container.

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '16, 14:19 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: maybe
to clarify a couple of things, when scotty says "most fish food", i think he really means aquaculture food, because most aquarium / goldfish food is total crap and no good for AP and too expensive to make using it worth it.

if you added seaweed and can not see the fish anymore, you added way, way too much.

PostPosted: Jun 2nd, '16, 16:04 
A posting God
A posting God

Interesting looking media in the GB, just curious as to what your ph is. :)