All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Cucumber suggestions
PostPosted: Sep 10th, '16, 09:38 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Hey guys, just starting my cucumber seedling inside, they will be ready to plant out in a weeks or so.

Last year i had a nightmare time with spotted mildew on the cucumbers. As soon as there was a humid day, or a spot of rain or maybe because it was a weekday, i dont know, I was always fighting a losing battle with mildew on the leaves.

I kept them alive for the season, but having to spray almost every day was a pain. I used water, baking soda and a milk mix, which worked great. It just came back again very quickly.

Does anyone have any planting suggestions to keep it down this year? Last year there was a little bit of shade and wind buffering from a giant tomato bush next to them. This year ill make sure to have them in 100 percent sun and nothing that could stop the wind. I feel wind may help? maybe even lowering the water level in that bed a bit to try and keep everything that bit dryer?

Any suggestions to help keep the mildew down would be greatly appreciated. I imagine those with greenhouses must have to use some tricks!

Thanks guys,
Trent

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Cucumber suggestions
PostPosted: Sep 10th, '16, 15:51 

Are you human?: YES
Air movement using a fan is a good idea. Training the cucumber plants to a single or two stems might work as well since it improves the air flow through the plant. Someone (can't remember who) posted information on training cucumbers back a year or two ago.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sep 10th, '16, 22:27 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
I second Scotty's suggestion - airflow is key. Train them up using same method as tomatoes works well(heavy duty string and clips). Also based on papers I have read potassium bicarbonate seem to be more effective than baking soda. Ensure your water quality is set since stressed plants are more susceptable to mildew and other issues.

PostPosted: Sep 11th, '16, 00:07 

Are you human?: Yes
While I have yet to grow cucumbers in an aquaponics system, this is a common gardening issue with the plants. I only grow them trained on a trellis and have much more success doing so. This is also true for most of the squashes.

If you are growing large size veges, use an old nylon or net bag to support the developing veges by tying up on the trellis. They both color more evenly than on the ground and don't get exposed to slugs and pill bugs.

PostPosted: Sep 11th, '16, 09:29 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Yup, airflow will be my number 1 priority then! I'll see if I can dig up that old article :)

Last year's bunch were raised as well, but too crowded I believe. I'll make sure they are less so this year.

Potassium bicarbonate hey... I'll have a dog around and try to find some. If its more effective im all for it!

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sep 11th, '16, 12:05 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
Quote:
Potassium bicarbonate hey... I'll have a dog around and try to find some. If its more effective im all for it!

It is common in the wine/beer market but they tend to buy it in large bags.
It is harder to get in small quantities and/or gets expensive.

Try some of the Swan Valley co-ops, micro brewing supplies or else try Cheidys.
Problem is it gets expensive in smaller quantities. And food market = overpriced for same thing.

the bulk price is around $150 for a 25kg bag (from a wine industry supplier)

it is a winner as it is a required nutrient (K), pH buffer (raising acidic) and also a natural (organic) fungicide.
Great if your system pH is <7.5.
Google it will cover organic fungicide use.

PatLa wrote:
While I have yet to grow cucumbers in an aquaponics system, this is a common gardening issue with the plants. I only grow them trained on a trellis and have much more success doing so. This is also true for most of the squashes.

+1 get them up in the air with a gap to the fence. Too much WA sun as it gets hotter may be an issue depending on your situation. Last year mine got morning-day sun and 3 PM+ shade from a fence and seemed to like that. They were on wood trellis. Morning sun may be the thing.

you also want to keep the leaf volume down, which can be bit of an issue if your AP has higher nitrates.
But need some leaves to shelter fruit. (I had more success in wicking bed than AP).

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '16, 05:30 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
couple places do smaller 5kg bags of KHCO3 at the $6/kg mark ($30-$35/5kg).

SWAT Winery & Vineyard supplies (Midland) is one.
A mate just got me some when going past this week.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....