Water temp 85
Ph 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 150+

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 22nd, '20, 08:10 

Are you human?: YES
Pictures help but based on the high pH and the fact that you've got plenty of nitrates I would guess that your plants have an Iron deficiency. Usually the new growth on the plant turns yellow with an iron deficiency. At pH 8 most forms of iron aren't available so any iron in the system water probably isn't going to do your plants any good. FeEDDHA iron chelate would work or you can spray apply the iron other kinds of iron to the top growth of the plants (you'll need to repeat this until the deficiency goes away and your pH is low enough that the plants can get their iron from the system water). Spray applying the iron avoids the pH lockout issue and FeEDDHA is available at the higher pH so it works in the system water. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '20, 11:02 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Not before 8am
As Scotty suggested, pics of the affected plants would go a long way to helping diagnose your issue. If possible, include close up pics of the worst affected leaves showing the whole leaf, as well as pics of the whole plant.

It would also be good to know how old the system is, what type, size and number of fish the system contains, how long they've been in, and what you are feeding them.

High Nitrates will inhibit plant growth, especially if there is a large imbalance between Nitrogen and other nutrients. Even 150ppm can inhibit seedling development, especially in warm weather.

If you suspect the nitrates are over 150ppm I would do a number of partial (25-30%) water changes with aged water (well aerated and exposed to sunlight over at least 24hrs) until you can reduce the Nitrate down to a level where you get a definitive reading with your test kit. I'd be aiming for 80ppm or less.

Don't stop feeding any fish during this process, as they would still be producing Ammonia (and therefore Nitrogen) whether they are eating or not, but there would be no other nutrients going into the system.

Then, If you can get some seaweed extract similar to the standard Seasol we get here in Australia (the white bottle), I would add 2 or 3 capfuls of that to your 200 gallons. I'm not up to speed with the different types of Maxicrop etc available to you in the US, but their standard product has higher levels of Ammonia than our standard Seasol, which is just seaweed extract, so the Maxicrop may also contain fish hydrolysate.