All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Dec 14th, '13, 07:52 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: YES
Needs to be refined to oil to be effective. The plant alone won't deter them. Same storey with mossies and citronella oil.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 26th, '14, 15:51 

Are you human?: yes
I always had great outcomes with spraying off aphids. Though there were some problems like in is necessary to repeat it regularly, especially when ants are vigorously farming and therefore collecting and returning the aphids to the plants.

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '14, 06:25 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Thought I WAS
I asked the question elsewhere about aphids and spraying them off...
I flushed them deep into the clay balls and then forced a heavy flood... it seems to have answered my question as to if they were easily drowned...
Today, I see that the ants have gone... possibly indicating that the ants consider the party over...

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '14, 12:10 
In need of a life
In need of a life

SOooo much information and Soooo hard to find answers on this forum.. (no criticism intended)

What would be good is a simple stickie WITHOUT DISCUSSION, where known goodies and know badies are listed.. under products and problems etc.. It would probably need a Mod. to operate the locked thread where you great folk with proven ideas could submit your list, and then if others have found evidence of problems, change that list

Things that can be used and must not be used.. treating plants, whilst protecting the fish etc.

Eg.. under products.. all the typical items like Nitrosol, Seasol, Seaweed Extract, :headbang: Worm-Juice, Thiodan, Rogor, :naughty: Lebaycid, Copper Sulphate etc. etc. you get the idea..

Under treatment, eg. I was looking for treatment for strawberry plants with pale and/or yellowing fringes
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDIQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iowaproduce.org%2Fpages%2Ffruit%2Ffiles%2Fstrawberry%2FStrawberry_nutrition_guide.pdf&ei=C3EvVO30JcP38QWB04LwCQ&usg=AFQjCNHZ2CSGVVVkQIUV_CI7rZ0m6AfE0g&bvm=bv.76802529,d.dGc

Dr. Google came up up with the above suggestion list, but how good it would be to know how under AP, you could solve Manganese, or Sulphur deficiencies for any plants...

Please do point me to somewhere, if it has all been done B4, and I have not found it..
So much experience - So hard to find.. :oops:

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '14, 17:53 
A posting God
A posting God

Probably the simplest way is to treat your plants and not stick it in the water; for a short term fix use a foliar spray with micronutrients. Foliar sprays are a very weak solution sprayed on the leaves preferably early in the morning, not in full sun and not at dusk. :)

PostPosted: Oct 5th, '14, 06:12 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Sleepe wrote:
Probably the simplest way is to treat your plants and not stick it in the water; for a short term fix use a foliar spray with micronutrients. Foliar sprays are a very weak solution sprayed on the leaves preferably early in the morning, not in full sun and not at dusk. :)

But what sprays.. eg an article might declare manganese as a deficiency.. but what manganese is suitable for fish/crustaceans in any amount.. ie ... you can almost guarantee that spraying will have SOME overspray...

Dr Google does not give advice biased for APers... :-(

PostPosted: Oct 5th, '14, 07:33 
A posting God
A posting God

I think you are worrying too much. If you look at it logically others are growing strawberries successfully which means the micronutrients are already in the water. You are having a problem (if it is a micronutrient deficiency) because (1) your feed does not contain enough (2) your ph is incorrect and you are getting lockout (3) your system is too salty (4) its a really new system.
Foliar feeding is at a very dilute rate and you only spray enough to dampen the leaves given its dilution and the fact that micronutrients are exactly that in the sprays ie the dosage is unlikely to cause any shift in your water parameters and that fish and plants use it as I say I think you are worrying too much. :)

PostPosted: Oct 5th, '14, 11:28 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Marc d W wrote:
...Any chance you could slip us some of that AxaMax in the mail? Just kidding - the penalties are fairly steep for non registered chemical use here....

AzaMax - AME STUFF???
Quote:
AzaMax is made from special Azadirachtin Technical extracted using patented extraction technology from Neem, a tree known for it's innumerable benefits.

I know this is massively old - but NEEM -- We have ECO-NEEM -- Kinda sounds like the right stuff.. but

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1165043-azamax-vs-neem-oil.html
suggests that there IS a difference and they could be better used together..
Quote:
There is evidence that other compounds found in neem have insecticidal attributes that contribute to a given product’s efficacy. A study conducted at Washington State University in conjunction with the W.R. Grace and Company (manufacturers of the neem product Margosan-O at the time) found that products containing both azadirachtin and neem oil have greater efficacy in controlling aphids than either ingredient alone (Stark and Walter 1995). They hypothesize that neem oil may help spread the chemicals on both plant and insect surfaces and allow them to penetrate into the insect more effectively. Neem seed oil is formulated and used somewhat like other horticultural oils and controls some foliar diseases as well as certain insects and mites. The oil is also made into an insecticidal soap, which probably acts similarly to other insecticidal soaps by disrupting insect membranes.

PostPosted: Oct 6th, '14, 03:38 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Gee,
don't you hate that auto correction... when it gets it wrong..
"".... AzaMax - AME STUFF??? ....""

AXAMAX. we assume is AZAMAX

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '14, 06:23 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Drawback being that Neem Oil is Oil which needs to be kept out of your fish water since oils and soaps can be dangerous to fish.

That said, depending on your install, I've heard of people using oil or soap sprays carefully in situations where no rain or dripping into fish water is likely but definitely use extreme caution with any oil or soap around your AP water!!!!

I've used azamax and it is good stuff but it is important to keep in mind that one single approach is rarely very effective so even if you have access to azamax you may still want to change it up and use another product in rotation. For instance Botaniguard WP or Sucrashield are both relatively fish safe products that can be used against soft bodied insects. Be sure to wear goggles and only spray when the air is calm for the Sucrashield since it can cause bad temporary eye damage.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '15, 14:41 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

haven't read all the pages here, but just touching on the ant/aphid problem, ants love the aphid's honeydew so the ants go and get the honeydew and take it back to their nest.....get rid of the ants and the aphids will slowly disappear, one needs the other, I spray heavily with anything that will kill ants, providing its not on the GB or on the plants its fine,
The other great thing is called "ant sand" the ants take that back to their nest and it kills the colony...

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '15, 20:29 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: sorta
Hi all I've done abit of reading and can't seem to find a way to get rid of slaters in my aquaponics,
I'm using oranges upside down an it gets a few manually but I have them eating my strawberrys as well as slugs , any info please

Money can't buy happiness but it sure buys things that make me happy ,,
cheeers HEZZY

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '16, 21:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
BuiDoi wrote:
SOooo much information and Soooo hard to find answers on this forum.. (no criticism intended)

What would be good is a simple stickie WITHOUT DISCUSSION, where known goodies and know badies are listed.. under products and problems etc.. It would probably need a Mod. to operate the locked thread where you great folk with proven ideas could submit your list, and then if others have found evidence of problems, change that list

Things that can be used and must not be used.. treating plants, whilst protecting the fish etc.

Eg.. under products.. all the typical items like Nitrosol, Seasol, Seaweed Extract, :headbang: Worm-Juice, Thiodan, Rogor, :naughty: Lebaycid, Copper Sulphate etc. etc. you get the idea..

Under treatment, eg. I was looking for treatment for strawberry plants with pale and/or yellowing fringes
Curious, as i am now in the same boot (boat) what conclusions did you come to?
As Sleepe says, is this yellowing of leaves something that shouldn't be attacked without sound science backing the plan?
Dr. Google came up up with the above suggestion list, but how good it would be to know how under AP, you could solve Manganese, or Sulphur deficiencies for any plants...

Please do point me to somewhere, if it has all been done B4, and I have not found it..
So much experience - So hard to find.. :oops:

PostPosted: Jan 20th, '17, 09:32 

Grits are made of dried kernels of corn. The hull and germ are removed, producing hominy, a food Native Americans have eaten centuries. The hominy is treated with an alkali in a process called nixtamalization. I always heard that the oft used alkali was lye, which also supposedly is used to make soap. Grits are usually served with other flavorings as a breakfast dish, usually savory. Sound good as a food. The alkali process might create an unexpected result for an AP system. Needs researched.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14