All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sep 13th, '11, 00:15 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

That is funny. I know the majority of solar panels produced in the US are exported to Europe, too.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 20th, '11, 12:53 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Really enjoying reading this thread. Energy generation seems to be one of those areas where despite international attention and voices promoting better solutions, bad decisions continue to get made. Moral to the story: money talks?

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '12, 10:51 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

My current research is on thin film (not silicon) solar cells - the physics part. I originally thought that companies solar companies had to altruistic. Because, you know, it's solar! Like you say, though, most are just companies looking to make as much money as they can and don't care a whit about the environment, only that it can help them sell more of their product. :(

PostPosted: Feb 16th, '12, 15:38 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Crazy, but understandable too. It's funny how very different perspectives can be on something that seems so fundamental, like the Earth... Are you studying or working for an organization? Sounds really interesting.
I've often thought that the way electricity is generated has a lot of room to evolve...

PostPosted: Feb 19th, '12, 06:13 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I work here for a local university. I also hope that power generation will change in my lifetime. Something that is distributed - power to the people sort of thing.

PostPosted: Feb 19th, '12, 13:24 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ya. That would be good. I can see some changes happening in Australia and in Europe, where wind towers have been popping up all over the place, but I think they still only supply a small percentage of the overall power consumption.
For a while solar panels and insulation were heavily subsidized by the government in Australia, but then people started taking advantage of it and they axed it.
Someone died because a company did a botched job -- they put metal-lined insulation in a roof and he got electrocuted. The whole program wasn't well managed. The solar panels scheme had a time limit on it too and because it was quite a big saving a lot more people were keen than the government had anticipated so they cut it right back eventually, but quite a lot of houses did end up getting them.
Must have been a real boom for the solar industry in Australia. Initially it was said to pay for itself after 5 years. I'm not sure if the government is paying people for energy they put back into the grid, but they should.