All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '12, 17:09 

Are you human?: Yes
Those engineering wizards are at it again. I was looking at the Buckminster Fuller Institute challenge website http://challenge.bfi.org/solutions/all/ and I came across a German company called Watergy. They developed a system that utilizes convection currents and condensation in a greenhouse setting that seems interesting. I could only find a website in German, (google translate on chrome can automatically switch it to english, not sure about other browsers),
and a video on youtube in Spanish because that's where they built the first pilot system.

The system collects and recycles water transpired from plants in order to create a closed system. Interesting concept, especially with the evaporation rates of AP. The system supposedly heats in winter, cools in summer, and saves water immensely. and brackish water is involved in the process somehow.

Check it out

http://www.watergy.de

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '12, 17:14 

Here's the abstract from a research paper I found.

Project Watergy, funded by the European Community's Vth Framework in its Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development programme, consists in the development of a humid air solar collector system that follows the principle of a closed two phase thermosyphon. The first product of the project is a prototype for application in arid climate: a closed system for solar thermal energy capture, water recycling, water desalination and advanced horticultural use. It consists of a closed greenhouse connected with a vertical solar air collector which functions as a solar chimney. An air-water heat exchanger contained in a cooling duct inside the tower provides climate regulation of the greenhouse, powered by the buoyancy induced by the solar tower. The efficiency of the heat exchange processes is enhanced by the utilization of latent heat due to constant humidification/de-humidification of air in the process. The condensation associated with the cooling of the nearly saturated air also provides distillation of water. The thermal energy released in the process is stored outside the greenhouse for being used as heating or further water distillation during the night. Plants are an essential part of the whole process, being a means of grey water processing and a source of humidification of the air, and together with water and heat, biomass production is the main output of the system.

A detailed explanation of the system and its components is presented, describing the heat accumulators, the heat exchanger in the cooling duct, and the secondary collector which further heats and humidifies the air from the greenhouse on its way to the cooling tower. The horticultural concept of the greenhouse is also outlined. The functioning of the system is described, the main challenges encountered are explained, and the first results obtained after the first growing season under evaluation are presented.

http://papers.sae.org/2005-01-2919/

and a PDF of results from the prototype.

http://www.idaea.csic.es/innova-med/agadir%20lectures/Zaragoza.pdf

PostPosted: May 4th, '12, 19:02 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: im a beast
wow super cool dude. combine this with an algae fodder producing system and your set.

PostPosted: May 9th, '12, 15:46 

My only worry is that the people doing this project have completely disappeared. I've been looking for updates to no avail. I guess I'll have to reverse engineer it and hope for the best. :dontknow: