All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Silver perch fingerlings
PostPosted: Nov 18th, '19, 16:58 

Are you human?: yes
I’m looking to buy around 40 of the little ammonia makers and wondered if anyone can recommend a supplier. I’m on NSW central coast.

I’ve seen stockists that have a minimum order of 100. If I go that route, does anyone want to share the order?

Any advice as always appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '19, 05:28 

Are you human?: Arrrrg
I would go to fish, game and wildlife website and see who is authorized to sell in your state. That is how I found a hatchery to buy my fishies...

I hope this helps!

Cheers

-OEP

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '19, 06:38 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Hi mate, try gumtree. Ensure you either hospitalise or salt treat them before adding to your system if you can.
Mine were 30mm or so when I got them and expected to lose a few so got more than I needed. Lost none... now, several years later the tanks full and they’re all grown up and are ready to leave for university. I think they’re planning on a cooking course... ;)

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '19, 07:22 

skeggley wrote:
Hi mate, try gumtree. Ensure you either hospitalise or salt treat them before adding to your system if you can.
Mine were 30mm or so when I got them and expected to lose a few so got more than I needed. Lost none... now, several years later the tanks full and they’re all grown up and are ready to leave for university. I think they’re planning on a cooking course... ;)

Thanks for the info. Could you explain what you mean by hospitalise, please? Also, how much salt would I add, and would that be to the FT (700l) or the bag they come in?

Thanks again, Paul

PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '19, 08:48 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Sure mate, probably should have said quarantine tank instead of hospitalisation.
Introducing new fish into your system, new or old, can also be introducing parasites or disease and in my opinion it’s best to treat the fish first.
I had a second system with a salt content around 5ppt that I could add the fish to before adding to the main system. I would leave them there for a couple of weeks to ensure they were fit and healthy.
The other method I mentioned is a salt bath. This involves getting a container, like an esky, fill it with water and salt it at around 10-12 ppt and, with heavy aeration add the fish for around 1/2 an hour. This effectively sterilises the fish.
Although it may seem like a pain in the arse it’s easier than realising there is an issue after you have added fish to your system.

PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '19, 09:37 

skeggley wrote:
Sure mate, probably should have said quarantine tank instead of hospitalisation.
Introducing new fish into your system, new or old, can also be introducing parasites or disease and in my opinion it’s best to treat the fish first.
I had a second system with a salt content around 5ppt that I could add the fish to before adding to the main system. I would leave them there for a couple of weeks to ensure they were fit and healthy.
The other method I mentioned is a salt bath. This involves getting a container, like an esky, fill it with water and salt it at around 10-12 ppt and, with heavy aeration add the fish for around 1/2 an hour. This effectively sterilises the fish.
Although it may seem like a pain in the arse it’s easier than realising there is an issue after you have added fish to your system.

Excellent. Thanks for explaining it for me. Makes sense now. I’ll probably go the esky route as it’s a perfect excuse to clean it out then restock with ice and beer after the fish are in the tank :-)

PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '19, 09:37 

skeggley wrote:

Excellent. Thanks for explaining it for me. Makes sense now. I’ll probably go the esky route as it’s a perfect excuse to clean it out then restock with ice and beer after the fish are in the tank :-)

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '19, 17:54 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: no
Quote:

Ohh yeah, plus the residual salt holds the esky temps lower again! Icy cold refreshment. When's the party :cheers:

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '19, 17:54 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: no
Deleted double post

PostPosted: Nov 27th, '19, 16:54 

Asitis wrote:
Ohh yeah, plus the residual salt holds the esky temps lower again! Icy cold refreshment. When's the party :cheers:

Sounds like a win-win!

Just to check, you’re units for salting were parts per thousand (ppt)?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Nov 28th, '19, 06:45 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Correct.