All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '14, 13:29 

Are you human?: YES
Greetings everybody. This weekend - week 35, I'm starting phase 1 of a small scale aquaponics system. I'm starting with three 55 gallons plastic drums. One cut in two halves, which will serve as grow beds. And the other two as fish tanks. In phase one, I only want to get the water circulation process right. In phase two, I'll add up fish (10 tilapia fingerlings) and plants (Soya bean, Tomatoes, lettuce and Choi), which is planned for week 36. In phase 3 I'll add up a swirl filter, which I plan for week 40. Until the swirl filter is added, a sponge will be used to remove solid waste. There'll be a phase 5 after my first harvest, where an NFT unit will be added. There'll also be a phase 6 after my second harvest, where a raft unit will be added.

I live in Mauritius. In summer, temperature is between 35-40 degrees Celsius. In winter, it is between 20-30 degrees Celsius. So, there is no need for water heating or cooling. The system will be in the shade of 30% sun shield, which will ensure that the water is not over heated in summer.

At first, I wanted an in-door system. Needed a simple metal or wooden rack. Went to a welder, he said roughly 250 E. Went to a Carpenter, he said 300 E. But my overall budget is only 150 E to start. The things to be bought are the drums (25 E), plumbings/fittings (40 E), wood to make the grow beds rack (40 E), concrete blocks (20 E) to support the rack and the sun shield (20 E).

Will be posting pictures of materials, the system and most importantly receipts. So stay tuned.

Any advice for me?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '14, 16:19 

Welcome to the forum, lovely place in the world you live.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '14, 13:52 

Are you human?: YES
Hello All,

Could not complete phase one last weekend, so everything is will be late by a week. Thanks Charlie, Mauritius is sure a beautiful island. Be welcomed whenever you feel like it. Hotels and air tickets prices are low now, we are in the last few days of winter. If you're using a hand saw, to cut your drums, you need to be two. Next time I have to cut drums, I'll purchase a grinder, which is quicker and more effective.

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '14, 15:22 

My brother had his honeymoon there and the photos look amazing, I will visit one day.

A jigsaw is another good method to cut plastic drums.

~Backyard farming~