All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '08, 06:46 

We are a small family aquaponics farm in Hawaii. We currently produce 1,800 pounds of vegetables and 300 lbs of fish per month from our aquaponics systems alone. We got USDA Organic Certification for our farm in August 2008. We held our first "Commercial Aquaponics Training", designed to teach newcomers everything they needed to know to become productive aquaponics growers on a commercial scale. in October 2008. We had 78 participants in that course, twelve of whom have built or are building aquaponics systems now. One of them, Vinny Mendoza, has already had his Organic Certification Inspection. Our whole purpose is to pass along how to be successful with aquaponics on a commercial level as quickly as possible.

We don't sell fish tanks, aquaponics systems, blowers, liners, or any equipment or hardware. There are already many good places to buy those things closer to you than we are. We do sell knowledge about aquaponics. We do it at the lowest possible rates that we can still make a living on and continue to spread the good word.

We've been highly motivated to do things better, because we earn our living from the farm; if it fails, we lose the farm. Because of this, we've worked hard the last year to figure out better and more economical ways to do things. A big part of our operation is passing on everything we know as quickly and as economically as possible to those who would benefit from it. To accomplish this, we offer regular trainings in aquaponics operation and construction in Hawaii. See our website at http://www.friendlyaquaponics.com for more information about our Hawaii trainings, Do-It-Myself trainings, and Individual Intensive trainings. Please visit and share your aquaponics stories with us. Here are a couple of pictures from our farm: Image Image Image

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '08, 08:33 
Hi guys, nice to hear that you are prepared to share your knowledge of aquaponics... that's what this forum is all about.

Unfortunately the pictures you posted didn't display.... but for the benefit of all, especially those that might like to scale their systems up from a mere "hobby" basis...

Could you kindly give a run down of your system components, operation methods and "relative" costings that enable you to sustain a profitable enterprise....

Thanks, and welcome...

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '08, 11:19 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Y: I have affadavit
Welcome to the forum, TB! I, too, hope to hear more.

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '08, 12:25 
A posting God
A posting God

Welcome. Hope to hear more.
Knowledge is free here.

http://www.backyardfarming.com.au/phpbbb/

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '08, 08:32 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ouch, but not at their website! Must be a pretty nice book for $300.

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '08, 13:08 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Fixed words are good for history 8) and the basics...
But changing times means changing techniques...
and day to day help...
that is why this BYAP forum works so well
Most of us have evolving systems and have ever changing ideas
for future system efficency :roll: and expansion.
Economically is a relative thing, or perhaps I don't like the word's use :|
Most of the cost is at planning/construction thereafter is a return :cheers:

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '08, 13:30 
And initial cost of land and infrastructure.... I've asked for some operational figures for the venture in the "Commercial Viability" thread...

Look forward to the "sharing the knowledge" as to how AP can can become "commercially" sustainable.... rather than just a subsiduary of a consulting & training enterprise.... :wink:

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '08, 13:37 
Particularly from the scale of operation... "1,800 pounds of vegetables and 300 lbs of fish per month" is pretty impressive...

That's over 800Kg of vegetables and 135kg of fish per month in our terms.... or 9600kg of veges and 1620kg of fish per annum..... :shock:

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '08, 19:33 

Are you human?: yes
micro scale for an aquaculture venture ( yeah yeah, I know it is aquaponics...)

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '08, 19:39 

RupertofOZ wrote:
Particularly from the scale of operation... "1,800 pounds of vegetables and 300 lbs of fish per month" is pretty impressive...

That's over 800Kg of vegetables and 135kg of fish per month in our terms.... or 9600kg of veges and 1620kg of fish per annum..... :shock:

at best $60k pa income although food for many families :cheers:

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '08, 19:48 
These are the kinds of figures that I'm trying to draw out.... :wink:

Although, in fairness the thread is called "Build Your Own Large Aquaponics System Economically".... rather than "Build Your Own Large Economically Viable Aquaponics System"

There's a big difference in either intent, result or both...

Quote:
at best $60k pa income

You talking turnover... or profit???

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '08, 20:50 

turn over. I think it would still be a loss with out
value adding :wink:

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '08, 21:28 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Tropic Bird wrote:
We are a small family aquaponics farm in Hawaii.
.../...
We do sell knowledge about aquaponics. We do it at the lowest possible rates that we can still make a living on and continue to spread the good word.
.../...
A big part of our operation is passing on everything we know as quickly and as economically as possible to those who would benefit from it.
.../...

Tropic Bird,
did you start this thread to give us some helpful tips on how to Build our Own Large Aquaponics System Economically?
or is it just a pointer to your site where we can buy these instructions on how to "Build Your Own Large Aquaponics System Economically"?

I would like to know i.e. what the proportion is of revenues from actual produce compared to revenues from selling manuals and giving courses and trainings and guided tours.
I think that is a good idea.
I just wonder whether that is a necessity to make ends meet for your size of operation.

On your site you mention an efficient patented wind powered aeration system of your own design.
I have a particular fascination for efficient aeration systems.
But I find no other information or even a picture of this system anywhere on your site.
Can you enlighten us?

frank

so that they have to work off their asses to buy a refrigerator
Wim Sonnevelt

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '08, 21:39 
Good question Frank.... and I'd like to know the operating costs/annum, labour, power, feed, stock etc... plus the capital startup costs... value of land site... etc

I have grave doubts that this system can breakeven in 12 months... sorry...

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '08, 21:48 
And they state it takes a year to harvest the first lot of fish... and they have only been in operation for 18 months max... yet claim 300lb/month production....

Think this is most likely a "projection".... perhaps acheived over the last few months... but continuously...

Particularly at the stated densities.... would be easy to lose a 1/3 of the production capcity really quickly in the event of a systems failure... and/or disease...

Like most UVI models... IMO... the focus ... and estimated return is based upon vegetable sales... and I suspect substantial "collateral" income from sales of books, training and consultancy....

Again though ... I stress... the thread is posted as information on how to "Build Your Own Large Aquaponics System Economically" ....

It doesn't necessarily present itself, other then the claim to breakeven in 12 months... as an economically viable aquaponics business or investment...

Would be interesting to see the balance sheet.... :wink: