Backyard Aquaponics
http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/

Best Ways to Cook Trout
http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10513
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Jamey [ Sep 17th, '11, 08:29 ]
Post subject:  Best Ways to Cook Trout

Now As there are a lot of new members that may have never eaten trout before, This could be a good place to Share some more cooking ideas/ photos etc

I think trout definatly can not be over cooked or they become quite yuck (the case with most fish)

Iv done a few on the BBQ I remove the heads and put a little butter, Salt & Pepper on the inside.

The other night i done 7 in the oven, Made a Garlic & Mintbasil pesto kind of thing to put on the inside and then dusted the outside with Fresh Ground Salt n pepper. They Were Divine. Oven on MAX and about 6 mins per side.

I have also just Taken heads off and fins and Tail and then floured them and shallow fried in some olive oil. There were Great this way too.

Image

Author:  dandm [ Sep 17th, '11, 15:31 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

Wow, they sound tasty! It is great to have some different ideas!
We usually bake ours in the oven with whatever herbs are flourishing at the time, garlic, onion and lemon or lime. We also sometimes put stewed apricots or tinned apricots or peaches inside, and it keeps them very moist and tender! They are wrapped in foil, and baked for about half an hour.
We just pan fried them the other day, and that was good too.

Attachments:
trout baked.jpg
trout baked.jpg [ 128.69 KiB | Viewed 9834 times ]

Author:  freoboy [ Sep 17th, '11, 16:14 ]
Post subject:  Best Ways to Cook Trout

Smoked with hickory is my fav

Author:  Jamey [ Sep 17th, '11, 16:19 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

A smoker is on the cards for sure!!! Seen richards one last time i was over there... its a beauty!!

Author:  mantis [ Sep 17th, '11, 17:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

Great thread so lets keep it rolling eh :thumbright: :wave1:

Author:  earthbound [ Sep 17th, '11, 19:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

Yep, smoked is my favourite........ :eat:

Author:  mattyry [ Sep 19th, '11, 17:37 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

guys,
pulled out another couple of trout on the weekend and cooked them up, but this time they tasted a little muddie...
ant reason for this???
I must admit that my water conditions are not the best with my nitrites hovering around 1.0ppm over the past month. I currently have another GB cycling to keep this under control.

would appreciate any feed back.. :cry:

regards
Matt

Author:  Jamey [ Sep 19th, '11, 18:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

mattyry wrote:
guys,
pulled out another couple of trout on the weekend and cooked them up, but this time they tasted a little muddie...
ant reason for this???
I must admit that my water conditions are not the best with my nitrites hovering around 1.0ppm over the past month. I currently have another GB cycling to keep this under control.

would appreciate any feed back.. :cry:

regards
Matt


Did u purge them at all?
Nic the Gutsack when gutting them?

How long between feeding and harvest... I'd say its a bit more like a grainy Flavour. Iv had this before when i harvested my first lot.

I Either Purge mine in another tank or wait atleast 12h after feeding before i harvest. A day off the feed isnt that bad :)

Author:  mattyry [ Sep 20th, '11, 03:22 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

Jamey wrote:
mattyry wrote:
guys,
pulled out another couple of trout on the weekend and cooked them up, but this time they tasted a little muddie...
ant reason for this???
I must admit that my water conditions are not the best with my nitrites hovering around 1.0ppm over the past month. I currently have another GB cycling to keep this under control.

would appreciate any feed back.. :cry:

regards
Matt


Did u purge them at all?
Nic the Gutsack when gutting them?

How long between feeding and harvest... I'd say its a bit more like a grainy Flavour. Iv had this before when i harvested my first lot.

I Either Purge mine in another tank or wait atleast 12h after feeding before i harvest. A day off the feed isnt that bad :)


cool, i'll give that a go.
I had no problem eating them, infact I think it tasted good, but the boss wasn't happy :( .

matt

Author:  Jamey [ Sep 20th, '11, 05:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

mattyry wrote:
but the boss wasn't happy :( .


Im Under the impression they never are :whistle:

Author:  SolTun [ Sep 20th, '11, 06:23 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

Best way(most tastful) to prepear trout IMO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk

Author:  mattyry [ Sep 20th, '11, 13:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

SolTun wrote:
Best way(most tastful) to prepear trout IMO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk


I want to enjoy the fish this year some time!!! I think 2-3 months is a little bit to much...
matt

Author:  Jamey [ Sep 20th, '11, 15:01 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

I agree With u mattry..

But it does look very interesting Prob in the "Too Hard Basket" for us Lazy Aussies... On tha barbie she gos :)

:laughing3: :laughing3:

Author:  mantis [ Sep 20th, '11, 15:37 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

SolTun wrote:
Best way(most tastful) to prepear trout IMO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk


Crazy Vikings :D
Probably would be very nice but

Author:  Snags [ Sep 20th, '11, 15:49 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best Ways to Cook Trout

Trout Almondine for me

Quote:
Trout almondine
Serves 2
Cooking Time Prep time 10 mins, cook 15 mins
2 rainbow trout (300gm each), cleaned
For dusting: seasoned plain flour
135 gm butter, coarsely chopped
85 gm (½ cup) natural almonds, coarsely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon, plus extra lemon wedges, to serve
Green bean and lemon salad
400 gm green beans, trimmed
2 lemons, segmented
1 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely torn


1 Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, lightly dust each side of trout with flour, shaking off excess. Add 50gm butter to pan and, when foaming, add trout and cook, turning once, until golden and just cooked through (5-6 minutes each side). Remove trout from pan and keep warm.
2 Meanwhile, heat remaining butter in a separate frying pan over medium heat until foaming, add almonds and shake pan until almonds are golden and butter is brown (4-5 minutes). Add lemon juice, set aside and keep warm.
3 For green bean and lemon salad, blanch beans in boiling salted water until just tender (1-2 minutes), drain and refresh, place in a bowl, add lemon segments and parsley, drizzle over a little beurre noisette, toss to combine, season to taste and serve with trout drizzled with beurre noisette.

This recipe is from the February 2010 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.


http://gourmettraveller.com.au/trout-almondine.htm

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC + 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/