All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '19, 00:16 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
I've long procrastinated expanding my little aquaponic system to include tomatoes.

• I'm looking for a variety that will produce, on average, a couple of tomatoes per day indoors under artificial light.
  • The system is stable at about 7.2 pH.
  • Flavor is the primary interest.
  • Fruit size doesn't matter much. Smallish might be better if light requirements are a little lower.
  • More compact plants might be better suited to my space and lighting limitations.
  • I'm open to either determinate or indeterminate varieties. Long-lasting and producing plants seem nice but I'm ok with the prospect of starting anew every 2 - 4 weeks.
  • An indeterminate variety might be housed in a 5-gallon bucket. If possible, indeterminate plants would be grown in large plastic coffee ground containers.
Can anyone suggest a variety that fits some or all of these constraints and objectives?

Having never grown tomatoes indoors, some of my thinking is likely unreasonable. Any advice, experience, or constructive criticism will be appreciated.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 4th, '19, 08:55 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
The are so many hundreds of varieties of tomatoes. One year i grew over 30 different varieties mainly in pots but all outdoors so can't really help with your requirements. My favorite for flavour might seem strange but it was a stock standard grape tomato.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jun 5th, '19, 08:16 

Are you human?: YES
Tiny Tim might be a good one to try - It stays nice and small but I remember it does get larger in AP than in soil, based on my one season of trying it which was many years ago.

PostPosted: Jun 5th, '19, 20:55 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
tomato plants get huge in AP because they are nitrate lovers. They will suck all of the nitrate out of the water which causes huge green growth. As for getting a couple of tomatoes every day... unless you are talking about cherry/grape size tomatoes it's probably not going to happen without having a dozen plants would be my guess. Cherry or grape tomatoes sure get a hybrid plant will produce far more tomatoes than you can keep up with. One super sweet 100 tomato plant will inundate you with cherry tomatoes. We pick and eat them straight off the plant, and never seem to keep up with them before they start rotting on the vine and falling off.