All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 31st, '11, 23:01 

Are you human?: yes
"Newbie" just made me aware of the PM or Private Message feature. This is the first forum I have participated in so if I am slow to figure things out or get back with any of you this is why so please bear with me.

Thus far I have Glen and Newbie's information and am looking forward to hearing from the rest of you. I want to clarify the "dinner club" get-together group concept. It is not a formal dinner. Instead, it is simply a get-together one weekend a month and could be as simple as a barbecue or pot luck. Again, the purpose is to gain knowledge and help others with their pursuit of aquaponics and each month we would take a look someone's system.

If you don't have a system yet that is not a problem. The hope is that in the very near future you will and that the personal interactions and associations will help fast track your AP system. As the group evolves my hope is that we not only featuring our system but also feature our own fish and vegetables.

I am new to gardening all together and have recently planted onion chives in both my AP garden and traditional garden and my chives are actually doing better in my traditional garden which suggests to me that I'm doing something wrong with respect to my AP garden. Another problem I am having is I can barely see my fish through the mirky water. I have a pump that is encased in a homemade in the fish tank that filters solids. I spoke to a fish expert at the local Petco who informed me that my fish appear to be in good health if they are zipping around and that the mirky water was a human inconvenience and not a fish inconvenience. I think need to separate the pump (place it in a sump) from the fish tank. At any rate, I need to tweek my system. Once I tweek it I will add three grow beds, a breeding tank and a grow out tank.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 2nd, '11, 00:11 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: No, The Missing Link
I would not consider anyone at Petsmart or PetCo to be fish experts. A good indication is usually if they carry Beta fish in little glass bowls full of putrid water.

PostPosted: Aug 2nd, '11, 10:27 

Are you human?: not today
Agree with Dejavoodoo's assessment of Petsmart. Anywho... When you say your water is murky - do you mean green? I think most people on here cover their fish tanks to keep the algae down (and the fish in). I did when I had my system going.

Best,
Snazzy

PostPosted: Aug 4th, '11, 01:09 

It is an IBC tote system and I have tilapia. Concerning algae, yes there is a lot of algae but I don't think it is the algae that is making the water mirky. As well, tilapia thrive off algae. I think I need more grow bed surface to filter the water. Not sure. The system is outside in the backyard and approximately 2/3rd of the fish tank is covered. I could cover the remaining 1/3 with wood slats but I haven't had any fish attempt to jump out.

I will be adding a new fish tank (330 gal IBC tote) which will increase my current fish tank from approximately 100 gallons to 250+ gallons. I will then convert the existing fish tank into a sump where I will also use it to grow aquatics vegitation. I am hopeful that this helps to filter the water so that I can better see my fish.

PostPosted: Aug 4th, '11, 01:32 

Reference attached photo of my IBC tote AP system.

Attachments:
IMG00359-20110704-1735.jpg
IMG00359-20110704-1735.jpg [ 53.61 KiB | Viewed 5004 times ]
PostPosted: Aug 4th, '11, 02:45 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

The biggest contibuter to algea will be the sun getting to the water. You will have to completely wrap the IBC with whatever covering you can find. Enough sun will make it through the IBC plastic for it to still be a problem. I cannot tell from the photo, but it looks like you have agea growing on the gravel also. If that is the case, then you are flooding them to much. The water should come to within about an inch of the top.

PostPosted: Aug 4th, '11, 06:43 

Your right - there was some algae in the media at the time of this photo. I was running the pump continuously. I have since purchased a timer with 30 minute increments and am running it 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. I think this is still too much and will replace it with a 15 minute timer as soon as I find one and run the pump 15 minutes each hour.

As for the algae in the fish tank, the tilapia love. They appear to be really healthy and growing. I am hopeful that with the addition of a sump it will clear the water up.

PostPosted: Aug 11th, '11, 06:20 

I have been busy for the last 2 weeks gathering stuff. 3 IBC totes, pump, fittings, cinder blocks, bricks, pavers ...

The wife, kiddos and I have been working every evening and one weekend to gradually get a new AP system in. We leveled and set the first growbed yesterday.

PostPosted: Aug 15th, '11, 19:09 

Picked up 18 additional cinder blocks this weekend and additional totes to expand my system. This week I will be tranfering the fish to the 300+ gallon tank and converting the current tank into a sump.

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '11, 01:54 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES, 20%borg
Guys,

I'd be happy to have all us locals over this Sunday (Sept 25, 2011) afternoon for burgers and aquaponics. Please PM me for my contact info, for those who do not have it. Please rsvp to let me get a good count. I live in Sugar Land, near 59 and hwy 99 (grand parkway).

I have got to clean up the backyard now. Too much stuff back there. That'll make my wife happy.

Richard

DeJaVoodooo and smithnfiddle, it would be great if yall could come too.

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '11, 07:47 

Richard,

What time?

Lyndon

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '11, 20:45 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES, 20%borg
I am thinking about 4pm or so. Perhaps later, if need be.

PostPosted: Sep 27th, '11, 12:25 

Hi,

We have opened an aquaponics demonstration center in the woodlands area. We have rafts as well as various size media based systems. Here is a link to our site. We would love to be able to share ideas and help Houston aquaponic enthusiast. We stock expanded shale, hydroton as well as fish.

I just returned from the aquaponics association meeting in orlando, the speakers and tours were great.

Greenlifeaquaponics.com

Thanks
Sandy

PostPosted: Sep 28th, '11, 08:36 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

You guys got any pictures to share from this last get together?

PostPosted: Oct 16th, '11, 06:30 

I don't think anyone took pictures at the last meeting.

Thanks for the link Sandy, we will have to make the trip up north sometime soon.

The next meet up is at my place next Sunday Oct 23 at 4:00pm in Pearland. Please RSVP, we will be grilling. I will pm the folks that were at the last meeting. If you want to come, I will pm my address.

I have an IBC CHOP2 system cycling with a few plants. It is based on Murray H's design. We also have an organic garden and vermacompost going.