All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 1st, '12, 09:24 

Are you human?: yes
Hey Everyone,

My name is Chaya and I am working with Sweet Water Foundation in Milwaukee, WI to build and aquaponics system in India this summer, and eventually take Sweet Water's AQUAPONS curriculum- funded by the MacArthur and HASTAC foundations- to India to implement in schools, and in communities in general!

We need help spreading the word about our project, and need a bit more funding to make the program sustainable. To build the system we are taking 8 UW-Madison students to India, and they will get hands on aquaponics experience while teaching others about aquaponics as well!

Please spread the word or donate with this link: http://igg.me/p/100690?a=575971

Best,

Chaya

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 4th, '12, 15:55 
God, I hate that term "aquapons".... what did someone compare it to... a feminine hygene product...

It is, and always has been... until "redefined" on the US "ning" site about a year ago.... "aquaponicists"...

And be wary about the concept that aquaponics is going to "feed the world".... or the supposed "farm revolution"...

As well intentioned as many of the people involved might be.... it's 99.99% bullocks...

PostPosted: May 4th, '12, 16:50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of most styles of systems people are wanting to export into the developing world, it doesn't necessarily translate well.

Here's an example of someone who spent a lot of time and effort in researching the best way of applying appropriate technologies into aquaponics for an Indian orphanage. They did it all off their own back with no funding of any sort.. Just a young family trying to do the right thing.
Attachment:
Issue 13 (Custom).jpg
Issue 13 (Custom).jpg [ 155.69 KiB | Viewed 6061 times ]

"Blatant advert for the next edition of the BYAP magazine due out next week..." :)

I followed all the links read just about everything I could out there about the proposal, aims etc, but it just doesn't sit right with me...

I just can't see this as the future of food production, this is not sustainable, it is not earth friendly... It has a massive net energy loss, probably far more than many current growing systems employed now a days. To produce lettuce and water cress under these conditions is just crazy. And I sure hope there's not going to be an attempt to translate these technologies over to India..
Attachment:
305016842.jpg
305016842.jpg [ 126.97 KiB | Viewed 6120 times ]

I dunno, but when farming and food production becomes about funding, lecterns, suits, tv cameras, lights, cross promotions and power words, it doesn't sit right with me....

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jun 21st, '13, 12:56 

Are you human?: YES
Hello
I am interested to promote this in schools and college of my district first, please provide me the details about how to approach and thing required by them.

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '13, 15:30 

Are you human?: Humans err, I Arrr!
RupertofOZ wrote:
And be wary about the concept that aquaponics is going to "feed the world".... or the supposed "farm revolution"...

Of course it is going to feed the world, just as soon as everyone stops relying on megacorporations to make poor food, and everyone puts a system in their backyard. :D

My Patio System

My Indoor System

No single drop of rain believes it is responsible for the flood.

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '13, 16:49 

Well we all know what happened to Sweet water. ;)

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '13, 18:18 
Ronmaggi wrote:
RupertofOZ wrote:

Of course it is going to feed the world, just as soon as everyone stops relying on megacorporations to make poor food, and everyone puts a system in their backyard. :D

Yep.. as I always say... feeding the world... one lettuce salad at a time.... :lol:

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '13, 18:36 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: maybe
yea AP is great for lettuce, but jesus, i dont know why anyone would use lights to grow anything, ever.
i probably wouldnt even bother putting more power than a 5w pump and 5w air pump into growing something like lettuce, without plenty of better things in there too.