All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 09:46 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: I'll be baaaack!
Nothing to do with AP....

I'm assuming I'm not the only person here who like to keep fit, but loathes running by themselves all the time? If this is you also, then register with your local parkrun; they're all across the UK, US and Australia (the world), and they're growing each week.

It's free. It's family friendly. It's fun. You don't even have to run!

Australia : http://www.parkrun.com.au/
UK: http://www.parkrun.com/home
USA : http://www.parkrun.us/
International : http://www.parkrun.com/events

My home parkrun is Claisebrook Cove for now, but Canning River is starting in March. Where's your home parkrun?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 09:58 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
I like the "you don't have to run" bit... :)

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 10:45 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Plenty of people walk the 5km course. Kids, people pushing prams, people walking dogs all join in.

One of the mandatory aspects of setting the parkrun courses is that they must finish in the immediate vicinity of a cafe/coffee shop, so afterwards you can have a cuppa and a bear-claw to add back the calories burned! :) Very social.

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 10:52 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
There are also some very interesting apps for cycling where it records times for doing certain circuits, or straight rides, then compares your times with other members who have ridden the same place.. If they have it for cycling they would surely be adaptable to walking/running..

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 11:20 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I used an iPhone app, RunKeeper (has cousins like RideKeeper etc, then there's MapMyRide, MapMyRun etc... hundreds of them), now I use a Garmin GPS watch (Forerunner 210) but the entire concept of the parkrun is to be able to cater for everyone, whether they have "technology" or not, walking/running in a safe, friendly, social environment at whatever pace suits you.

"Naked" running is strongly encouraged... not nude, but naked (no technology, just go for a run and have some fun instead of looking at your HR and pace splits, leave the headphones at home). Of course, if you like to carry technology, it is not discouraged at parkrun.

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 11:27 

Our biggest park in kalgoorlie would take about 3 minutes to walk around :D

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 11:49 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
I thought you guys would just do a lap of the super pit Charlie....

Gaz and Danae's Garden

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 11:50 

Yea that might take a couple of days :D

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 12:42 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Am all for it. Why should the cafes be for the lycra clad mob.

I run twice during the week, and walk the dog twice per day. Often go for a walk with kids and wife. Much more enjoyable with other people. I also go for a long run every Sunday morning while she sleeps in. Sometimes I go bush to add variety. We have a river running near our house, and a few trails going either side, and in each direction.

+1 for running without technology. I used to do triathlons back in the late 80's early 90's, and trained and raced hard. I had coaches, trained 6 days per week, morning and night. Raced up and down the east coast from Cairns down to Melbourne. I got pretty good too. I did a marathon, and a few multi discipline events (Blackwood Marathon and the like). I then hurt my knee. A few years later I looked back and had a think about my running, and realised I didn't enjoy it at all. I loved pushing my body, and seeing how hard I could go, but I can't say I really enjoyed running at all.

I then started working with an elderly Polish guy, and he got me back into running after a 10 year gap. He was all about looking at what goes on around him. We would stop and wacth a pair of ducks. They produced ducklings, and we watched them growing up. We saw dolphins, snakes, lizards, other birds. We left our watches at home and just ran how we felt. Sometiems only 5 km, sometimes walking if we felt stuffed, sometimes 15-20km. We talked as we ran, which is the best monitor of how hard you are pushing. You know what, I enjoyed every run.

I quit that job last year and miss my runs with George, and the chats we had while running. He did like a strong coffe and a muffin afterwards, which was great reward. Stopping at the beach before the Cafe was an advantage, good for recovery and kept us in with the local owner. Nothing worse than smelly, sweaty runners.

I started off with small distances, maybe 500m at a time, then a walk to get my breath, then again, didn't run the hills till I was strong. The thing was, I didn't care if people saw me walking. It took about 3 months to run 5km without stopping, but I saw so much more than when I used to run 100's of km per week.

I now get my talk time at my squash night with the boys, followed by a few sherbets and a game of poker.

Would love to do more runs with a few people, but the 5:30 start puts most people off. Its dark again now at 5:30. Glad we don't have Daylight savings.

Side line- Just got a bit of a rant. Got to laugh at how we treat the symptom again. I see that the health gurus in Australia are recommending 60min of excerise per day now. Geez, most people struggled with 30min. Their rational is that people are eating too much therefore need to excersize more. I dunno, maybe I'm stupid or something, but the answer to me seems that we could maybe eat a little less, and hey presto, cut it back to 30min. Too many excuses for most people to it avoid now anyway. I'm too busy, but I'll sit on my fat arse watching TV or cruising the internet, or playing games. Hand me another beer luv!

Yes I know I am, and always have been skinny, but the fat builds up quickly when you stop doning excersize, even if you are built like a greyhound. Fortunatly for me, I cut down on deserts, only have one or two beers, and it falls off again. No extra excersize, just adjust the diet.

Didn't need to this xmas just gone, just moderated the amount of chips and sweets. Started 2013 all good.

Rant over!!

Dr Bee

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10254

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 13:22 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

http://www.rittr.com/

see if these work for you, I use the push up and chin up one, really easy to use and great free apps.

While your not running do push ups!!!!

http://macedonnativefishfarm.com.au - We'll miss you Mario,

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 15:00 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Dr Bee, Bunbury parkrun is coming soon to a park near you : http://www.facebook.com/Bunbury-parkrun#!/pages/Bunbury-parkrun/350743735033142?fref=ts

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '13, 20:46 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Sorry, link should have been http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bunbury-parkrun/350743735033142

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '13, 00:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
I have always disliked running, but started doing it when I dislocated my shoulder in January, which pretty much stopped me from doing anything upper body.

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '13, 07:54 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I used to hate running with passion; I wanted to love running but I always got sore ankles, knees, hips and lower back problems, so running was hard to love... until I learned to run "properly". I changed my running style and have not had a single running related injury which has prevented me from running, and my improved fitness helped me (saved my life?) last year when I had a serious incident.

Now, every day I can go for a short burst (5km) or a long slow run (21.1km+) is a great day. I look forward to every Saturday morning to meet up at parkrun and drop in 5km (at whatever pace I feel like on the day) and then go for a coffee with a great bunch of people; it's a great way to get the weekend started.

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '13, 08:58 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Bunson,

Thanks for that. I am not on facebook, but hopefully they will put the link on the website you advised.

Yep can understand hating running. I enjoyed and was good on a cycle and good at swimming. Filled in for someone who pulled out of a tri so got into running. Never enjoyed running. Shin splints, was my main thing but then I got a coach and ran on grass or bush trails. Never ran on roads except races. Thats how she managed my injuries.

I guess I did enjoy my time running around Sydney harbour. That was when I did my best races. 3:01 marathon, and some 18minute 5km's in sprint tris. I stopped doing tris after a race in Geelong. 25knot winds during the swim and ride. I remember pushing down the hill from the refinery in about gear one or two, into the headwind. The wind was so strong with driving rain. I got to the transition absolutly knackered and cold, and still had to do the run (12 km's). The wind stopped, rain stopped, sun came out and it was about 27 degrees, and 80% humidity. I said to my self "I did not enjoy that", and quit racing tris that day in 1991.

Now I listen to my body and have been running injury free since 2008. Sometimes my hip hurts if I have been doing hills so I walk it home. I don't run consequtive days. On rest days when I am walking the dog, I do a circuit of exercises in local park. Dog has a rest cause she is stuffed from chasing a ball. After doing that 3 times a week since end of last winter I can now do full reps of push ups, chin up, dips, crunches between each set. After 44 years I have finally got abs, and can lift my own weight off the ground more than once. Always been a bit weedy up top.

Dr Bee

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10254