All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 261  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 09:56 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
what is a pacifist exactly? someone who will not kill to save a life?

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Venting corner
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 10:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Dank Fish wrote:
Mike Moore, one MAJOIR thing I don’t like about that guy, is that he take human tragedies, and turns them into profit in his own pocket.
He is hooking us in with emotions that are not his to gain from.

Sometimes it's good to have a bit of a wake up call, otherwise you might just carry on oblivious to some of these things going on around you. Whether you like the guy or not, whether he sensationalizes things, stretches things a bit, says things that make you feel uncomfortable, it's good for people to think outside their comfort zones now and then..

mokevinb wrote:
By the by, August 28th is the anniversary of the assassination of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. The Rev. Jesse Jackson, and others, are proposing marches and protests to remind others of our freedoms and civil liberties.

I am planning on celebrating this day by, doing as one writer in one of my magazines suggested, marching into my local gunstore and purchasing a firearm or ammunition. (I do not have any plans on using them. Just wanting to make the point that I still have that right.)

So your celebrating the shooting death of a world famous pacifist, by buying guns and ammo? Do you not realize that your statement here points out the futility of it all. Saying that he carried a gun with him at all times for protection, yet it didn't do him any good at all when it came down to it..

What I keep hearing in this topic is fear, fear of the unknown. Fear of rights being taken away, fear of fellow human beings. Is this fear warranted? Is it promoted by sensationalist media..? When crime rates were actually going down in the US, media stories about crime were going up, because thats what sold, it has nothing to do with portraying a balanced view of real events that are happening.

People living in fear are easier to control, governments and businesses have known this for a long time...

Quote:
what is a pacifist exactly? someone who will not kill to save a life?
According to wikipedia - Pacifism is the opposition to war or violence as a means of settling disputes or gaining advantage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifism

I guess the main point is that I'm 99.9999% sure that I will never be in a situation where I even have to think about whether I would have to kill to save a life. It's just not something that will ever crop up, so it's not something I even need to think about..

Profile Personal album  
 Post subject: Re: Venting corner
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 10:15 
Legend Member
Legend Member

earthbound wrote:

I guess the main point is that I'm 99.9999% sure that I will never be in a situation where I even have to think about whether I would have to kill to save a life. It's just not something that will ever crop up, so it's not something I even need to think about..

i wish i could go to sleep at night thinking that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 10:21 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
But surely if you look at the statistics of how many millions of people there are in your country, and how many innocent people living normal low key lives have to make decisions like that, it's a bit like winning the lotto... It will most likely never ever happen...

Profile Personal album  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 10:23 
Quote:
i wish i could go to sleep at night thinking that way.

I wish you could as well MC..... it's a shame that you feel that you're unable to do that, presumably because of where you live.

Is your area prone to high levels of armed crime or gang violence?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 10:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

i guess i watch too much tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 12:30 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

dont want you to take this the wrong way but that is more than likely the case MC

TV is one of our greatest social problems i reccon, we are fed far too much stuff that is quite unrealistic in the name of entertainement yet due to the realism of the show we start to belive its so, i dotn meatn as individuals necesarly but as a society

not trying to put you down though i watch tv just like most (probably less than most though)

a very interesting topic this ], im not quite sure where i sit, so its all a bit confusing to me

on one hand i like guns, i grew up around them know how to handle them safely ect

on the other hand i dont like violence seen plenty of this though not been party to much

quite perplexing
Cheers
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 13:16 
In need of a life
In need of a life

I agree totally delgrade. I think most of the motivation for owning guns come from the vigilante and gun hoe heroes that exist only on TV.

I own an air rifle, dad owns a shot gun and HAD a .22 bolt action. None of which would be effective in any armed robberies or killing sprees. They are locked away and are rarely taken out of the safe. They are there as a way of defending our property in the very odd chance we need such extreme measures.

Tell me just one reason why a person would need an automatic rifle like an M16 or an M4 or a semi-auto pistol like a glock. I truly don't see the need for it in a realistic world. I can't imagine how a hand gun would help any situation where somebody is threatening your life. As soon as you pull our you weapon you'll get yourself shot.

People see those guns on TV or on movies and they want to have one. I am guilty of it. I would love to shoot the Barret .50 cal but I know I would never need to own one. If I wanted to fire some serious guns I would join the army.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 13:28 
Quote:
I can't imagine how a hand gun would help any situation where somebody is threatening your life. As soon as you pull our you weapon you'll get yourself shot.

So very true.... most people think that a pistol is an effective weapon because they've seen people use them on TV....

Reality is that they're only "good" over a range of 0-20 metres, at a stationary target and even then if you've got a rock steady arm and an unpressured amount of time to aim.....

Most people in a pressure situation are more likely to shot innocent bystanders by indiscriminately spraying a semi-automatic pistol than they are hitting the "bad" guy.... unless they're standing still in front of you....

I guess that's why they're the weapon of choice by all the gutless cowards in gangs.... a stationary target on the footpath as you pull up in a car is an easy form of bravado I guess.....

Oh... and I guess the other advantage is that you can conceal them and "sneak" up on someone ......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 13:34 
Legend Member
Legend Member

i never had been much interested in guns till i spent time in the army. i dont think it is odd for me to feel most comfortable with a weapon of the same type i have been well trained with and carried in combat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 13:36 
In need of a life
In need of a life

TimC wrote:
I agree totally delgrade. I think most of the motivation for owning guns come from the vigilante and gun hoe heroes that exist only on TV.

Tell me just one reason why a person would need an automatic rifle like an M16 or an M4 or a semi-auto pistol like a glock. .

1/ I shoot and I vote( never worked out what the sticker meant) and I own an AP system lol................Tim my motivation didnt come from TV, was raised on a farm for starters.and I joined a respectable national shooting association to keep my firearms....I am a sporting shooter which includes both long distance target shooting and also the culling of rabbits and kangaroos that are in plague proportion(and those that disagree with the culling of our national emblem then get out into the bush n see for yourself :) ).

2/ I used to own a semi auto handgun for competition purposes...look up IPSC.you might think theyre a pack of *sigh* but theres alot of skill involved(and fitness)..and nobody gets hurt...oh and that was my ONE GOOD REASON TO OWN A SEMI AUTO HANDGUN lol.....it was a hobby nothing more nothing less

ps im far from being a redneck if you think i am one rofl......and i also disagree with the yanks constitutional right to arm bears ;)

nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 13:54 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Delgrade wrote:

on the other hand i dont like violence seen plenty of this though not been party to much

ive spent some time in a very violent place, i know i hate violence. i was part of a peacekeeping mission here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_War . alot of the way i feel about people comes from my time in the vo. the people with less arms had it the worse. it may take away the warm fuzzy feeling in a person, but sometimes the only way to get peace is to kill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 14:02 
I too was once a member of a shooting club, air pistol, and clay target shooting with an under and over.....

I also, when younger) spent many hours trekking the bush in NZ hunting pigs and deer with my beloved Remington 308....

I hunted for meat and for culling/bounty purposes as both pigs and deer were significant pests, and deer in particular fetched a bounty of $1/tail...
at 16 years old and in 1971 it was quite possible to spend 4-6 weeks in the National Parks and walk out and collect $60-100.... good money for then and at that age...

Please people just remember, while the breech loading rifle may have been originally invented for hunting...

The semi-automatic pistol and automatic rifles/machine guns (like the M16/AK47) were designed for only one purpose.....

To murder people..... and that definition applies to the military use of those kinds of weapons as well IMHO....

Anyone caught in possession of a loaded handgun or carrying an M16/AK47 etc is in my mind predisposed to commit an act of murder.... and if involved in the discharge of a loaded weapon that results in the death of an individual should be held accountable on the basis of "premeditation".....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 14:09 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Yes Rup!
I would hate to know/guess the number of people, that have been killed/murdered as a result of accidental discharge.

If we are free why do we need arms anyway?

If someone want to kill they will!

But not as exotic as pop a cap in your ass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug 20th, '07, 14:40 
In need of a life
In need of a life

i agree with the semi auto handguns being designed for only one purpose but the option I and others took for its use I see as an acceptable sport that does involve alot of skill...and reconition for my dad lol...ps neither of us applaud the acts of war or violence and cringe when we see attacks here in oz with a handgun( most of which would have been illegally gained and being of illegal posession)

I would also go as far as saying that banning handguns etc is a waste of time...."OUTLAW GUNS AND THEN ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3907 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 261  Next