All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: samsung galaxy S4
PostPosted: May 15th, '13, 09:29 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Great tip on the developers forum there Journeyman, thanks... Just having a read through the "You Just Bought a Galaxy S4? - 50 Tips and Tricks" thread... Good stuff.. :thumbright:

Profile Personal album  
    Advertisement

PostPosted: May 15th, '13, 09:55 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: yes
Here's a trick that doesn't seem to be in there - you may not want it but it's very handy for some things... there is a connector called USB-To-Go that has a microUSB to plug into the phone and a standard USB socket on the other end. Plug any USB device into the socket and the phone will recognise it and give access. e.g. you could have movies on a USB stick and play them through your phone while you are out and about.

Or store plans/documents on your USB stick and modify them with photos, GPS data, scans etc and simply plug it into the PC back home.

Have a look on Play Store for CamScanner - turns your phone into a proper scanner for docs etc. Also look for Scan - it reads the info from those QuickCode barcodes you sometimes see.

Kingsoft Office for Android is great and free. Talks to MS Office docs etc.

First thing to do is do a Nandroid backup of your phone - let me know if you can't find how to do it. Once you have that you can always return your phone to how it is right now.

And don't forget the EFS backup - that is your phone's ID. People have all kinds of troubles when they don't have that backup and something messes with their IMEI/Serial info. Mostly it's a visit to a Samsung repair place for a paid fix.

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '16, 18:04 

So made the plunge into Andoid-ville from Apple iPhone and so far am very confused.

Got myself the Samsung S7 which is a neat phone and after a week I think Ive finally transferred all my old apps, logins, accounts and everything else I needed. Phew! Felt like I was continually logging in and accepting crap all day.

Anyways, the big selling point moving from apple to samsung was the ability to attach a 200G SD card and transfer bulk movies and music because I travel a lot. And, not have to get tormented to death by iTunes. Just drag and drop.

So! here lies the problem, Our home computer is a Mac. So I googled and youtubed my way to a point I don't know what else to do. I found that I had to open the 'developer options' and enable USB debugging so I could connect using MTP. Finally I got my Mac to recognise my new phone but nothing else. A few days past and I found I needed to download Smart Switch, this led me to be able to back up and restore my phone.

Buuuuut, my main aim was to be able to share files. Days late I realise I needed to download 'Android transfer file' app. Ive done this and still I cannot get to where I want. I connect my phone and the little green man pops up but also a message saying cannot connect to this device!!!!!!!!

Im about to lose my shit. Help!!???

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '16, 20:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Charlie wrote:
So made the plunge into Andoid-ville from Apple iPhone and so far am very confused.

Got myself the Samsung S7 which is a neat phone and after a week I think Ive finally transferred all my old apps, logins, accounts and everything else I needed. Phew! Felt like I was continually logging in and accepting crap all day.

Anyways, the big selling point moving from apple to samsung was the ability to attach a 200G SD card and transfer bulk movies and music because I travel a lot. And, not have to get tormented to death by iTunes. Just drag and drop.

So! here lies the problem, Our home computer is a Mac. So I googled and youtubed my way to a point I don't know what else to do. I found that I had to open the 'developer options' and enable USB debugging so I could connect using MTP. Finally I got my Mac to recognise my new phone but nothing else. A few days past and I found I needed to download Smart Switch, this led me to be able to back up and restore my phone.

Buuuuut, my main aim was to be able to share files. Days late I realise I needed to download 'Android transfer file' app. Ive done this and still I cannot get to where I want. I connect my phone and the little green man pops up but also a message saying cannot connect to this device!!!!!!!!

Im about to lose my shit. Help!!???

I'm sorry I can't help Charlie, but as a possible condolence, or carrot, I've seen friends dealing with this exact issue
I was asked to help a few weeks ago and maybe got as far as you. Maybe not, I was helping through Facebook and didn't have my hand to the phone. I will ask this person if they found the solution if you like?

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '16, 07:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Coz apple wants to be an all controlling meglomaniac... I plugged my s7 into my lenovo laptop and bang there it was, copy my music onto the phone with just a drag and drop, folder to folder and create new folders on the phone from the laptop no problems, just like it's an external drive. Same the other way copying photos from my phone to the PC... No apps or trickiness required.

But sorry, can't help you with the mac side of things... :dontknow:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Aug 26th, '16, 10:05 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Yes
Give this one a try:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... sfer&hl=en

It's a wifi file transfer, you turn the app on, it creates a web address, and you can transfer files through that. No need to plug the phone in at all. You can manage it all through there, so much easier.

It's one of the few I'd been willing to pay for (they have a free option though, or you can get a pirate version).

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '16, 12:11 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: most days
:laughing3: That's awesome eb! "I can't help your issue but I'll post to let you know how good I have it" :bootyshake:

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '16, 08:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Easy Fix C man, ditch the mac. Any ditch will do....

Gaz and Danae's Garden

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Nov 10th, '16, 11:39 

moving app/game data from android to android is a big deal, from iOS to Android is even a greater deal. I heard that sometimes it requires rooted phones or premium (high)