https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Age Pension
PostPosted: Aug 8th, '13, 14:42 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: yes
chainsaw wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up Rupe, I trust Kochie not the email scams. Not only emails but lately receiving phone calls (late afternoon) from Microsoft saying they have found a problem with my computor. Well I string them along for as long as possible then as soon as I mention that I dont own a computor......CLICK. They other one I like is if they ask for me I just say....Hang on and I will go and get him.

Tom Mabe is great... Another thing to do is say it's your wife who has the computer and you will just go get her... come back in 15 minutes and see if they are still there. If they are, then it's "she's just on her way" and wait another 10 minutes. :D

I get a good response time by just saying, "I have been a copmputer tech for 25 years - what is your phone number please?" Instant Click! every time so far... :D

Current Age Pension:
Single $773.70 per fortnight
Combined: $1106.20

Current DHS Special Benefits:
Single: $497.00
Combined: $997.40

Note that both Refugees and bridging visa illegals get 89% of the Special benefits, and additionally can get 89% of the Special Rent assistance. Not sure what the rent assistance comes out at - it is possible it might take them above the amount paid to pensioners.

PostPosted: Aug 8th, '13, 14:57 
Journeyman wrote:

Current DHS Special Benefits:
Single: $497.00
Combined: $997.40

Note that both Refugees and bridging visa illegals get 89% of the Special benefits, and additionally can get 89% of the Special Rent assistance. Not sure what the rent assistance comes out at - it is possible it might take them above the amount paid to pensioners.

Quote:

Payment rates for Special Benefit

The amount of Special Benefit you get depends on your individual circumstances. Usually, it is the same rate as Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance.

You may get less payment if you get free board or lodgings, or other forms of support.

Early delivery of your first Special Benefit payment

If you are in severe financial hardship due to exceptional and unforeseen circumstances, you may be able to receive an early delivery of your first Special Benefit payment. For more information, visit your nearest service centre, or call 132 850.

Special Benefit payment rates are adjusted on:
•1 January each year if you are under 21 and have no children
•20 March and 20 September each year if you have dependent children or are aged 21 or older

Income and assets tests for Special Benefit

Residence requirements for Special Benefit

To be eligible for Special Benefit you must satisfy residence requirements. You must:
•be an Australian resident, and
•be physically present in Australia on the day you lodge your claim, and
•continue to meet the residence requirements for as long as you get this payment

Alternatively, you may meet residence requirements for Special Benefit if you
•are living in Australia, and
•are physically present in Australia on the day you lodge your claim, and
•hold a certain temporary visa type for example a partner provisional, interdependency or temporary protection visa, and
•continue to meet the residence requirements for as long as you get this payment

Newly arrived residents generally have a 104 week waiting period, with some exemptions.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/custome ... al-benefit

PostPosted: Aug 8th, '13, 15:09 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Staying off topic.

If you get those annoying phone calls, you need to keep them on for ten minutes, don't hang up even if they have.

I got Telstra to block the calls, but only after I could tell them what times they called, and for how long. Mine were for a scam regarding debt collections..

Dr Bee

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10254

PostPosted: Aug 8th, '13, 17:19 
A posting God
A posting God

"Current Age Pension:
Single $773.70 per fortnight"

It should work out with the additions at just over $808.00 per fortnight, and the basic age pension rate is 733.70 per fortnight (unless you wish to contribute the extra $40) :)

Nutter Revs? you should engage your Public Servants with the politeness that you would expect from them; if they don't appear to understand your point move it up the line until someone can discuss it with you. :)

A opposition lawyer once called me a very unpleasant person (mainly because he complained of a sore back during a compensation case, and I suggested he see a psychiatrist; he had been a total arsehole all through the proceedings) :). I told him that was the best complement I had been paid all year. ie if you are going to be nasty do it for a purpose, put him right off track. :lol:

PostPosted: Aug 8th, '13, 17:21 

I couldnt possibly live on $8-900/fortnight... no way.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Aug 8th, '13, 18:01 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: What is human?
You drink more beer than that a fortnight now you have homebrew mate....

This thread got out of hand quickly....

PostPosted: Aug 9th, '13, 08:18 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I must have pushed things too far yesterday, got my first microsoft call for the year.

Dr Bee

PostPosted: Aug 9th, '13, 15:00 
A posting God
A posting God

Charlie wrote:
I couldnt possibly live on $8-900/fortnight... no way.

You have a wife and dependent children, so it would obviously be a lot more.
However you are still a yuppie. :lol:

PostPosted: Aug 9th, '13, 15:20 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Sleepe wrote:
"Current Age Pension:
Single $773.70 per fortnight"

It should work out with the additions at just over $808.00 per fortnight, and the basic age pension rate is 733.70 per fortnight (unless you wish to contribute the extra $40) :)

Typo on the single pension rate, it IS $733 not 773 - but the combined rate is correct - all I was trying to show is the pension is better than what bridging visa immigrants receive.

Also, the conditions for Special benefits are NOT those used to determine what immigrants of various categories get paid, the SB is just a benchmark used to calculate the rate, which is 89% of the SB rate. So residency and other criteria don't apply.

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '13, 15:27 
A posting God
A posting God

Well I thought Centrelink would send me a letter ie you are reaching 65, do you wish to claim (apparently not).
I got on the net and now have a CAN and an intention to claim, they describe this as a life event (I have no idea why).
Why Centrelink needed to know the colour of my jocks at 3 years old I was a bit confused. (well its almost like that). Overall the online system is appalling (designed by a committee), the phone service appears designed to discourage you from using it.
I suspect this system is being run by a bunch of *sigh* and staffed by a lot of unhappy people. (this is only IMHO). :)

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '13, 15:43 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I had a nice person on the phone last week, but it was in the debt recovery area. I said I found the website really confusing, and I think I am reasonably well educated and able to probelm solve. She said the people who may not be so clever find it impossible. She asked if I would mind providing feedback on the web. She said she also struggles with the system and she works with it every day.

Father in law decided to work til 70 so he could get a $20k bonus from centre link for working > 20?hrs per week. Asked what records he needed, confirmed what records he needed, finished up work provided documentation, and now needs to provide time sheets, and accurate recods of holidays, sick days....Who keeps those records? Wasn't told he needed to keep pay slips, now needs to go back and get 3 years of evidence. FFS!

Dr Bee

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '13, 16:15 
A posting God
A posting God

It was not the person I got on the line who was a problem, it was the delay (just over a hour listening to lift music). :roll:
They get your tax file number so you would think they know your earnings (as in a PAYE system).

A guy I work with/volunteer; is close to 70, he used to do casual work, not many hours but used to report it.
He went away on a holiday, so Centerlink stopped his payment (as in you have not reported your earnings; he didn't have any).
Sometimes Gov,t departments put rules into place which are not covered by either the Law they operate under or the Regulations that are in place. (its a bit like AP) :lol:

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '13, 17:37 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Govt Depts operate under the same laws as everyone else. The problem is they THINK they know what it is all about because they have a set of blue A5 folders with their Rules & Regulations in it. This is meant to tell them how they should behave as a Dept and which rules they should be following.

What they forget is you and I do NOT operate under their Rules and Regs.

When a Govt Dept shafts you, ask them for which Regulation they are applying on your case. If they can't tell you, ask them which Rule covers what they are telling you. If they can't tell you, ask for their Manager.

VRU's (Voice Response Units) and CRU's (Call Response Units) [the difference is whether you get asked to speak your repsonses or press buttons] are NOT deigned to help YOU. With NO exceptions they are designed to weed out the impatient and provide a system (FOR the company/Corporation/Govt Dept, NOT for you or me) that lets them ignore calls for up to 5 minutes, and THEN put you in a queue.

The technology allows them to step back from Customer Service and has the unfortunate effect (for the employees) that almost everyone they speak to is pissed off BEFORE they ever get to a live person. So the staff get stressed, the staff tend to treat all customers as hostile, and the staff tend to not want to answer phones.

VRU's and CRU's destroy company reputations and lead to extremely poor Corporate Image... all in the name of saving maybe $250,000 per year in costs of having 5 people actually answering the phone when it rings.

Should this be in the Venting thread? :(

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '13, 18:51 
A posting God
A posting God

I don't think so; we have a lot of young members from Australia who assume that she'll be right and their entitlements will be protected.
Venting is for mainly short term, or issues you cannot have a real effect on :)