All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Click me and see
PostPosted: Sep 16th, '13, 01:44 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: you saying I ain't?
I've been busy with my other hobby lately and thought I could get some good advise/opinions on it. A little project I've put off for far too long now because I failed months ago at the first attempt...sort of.

I'm installing a nipple watering system for chickens and am wondering if I should rethink my schematics among other issues. I have a 55 gal drum with 3/4" pvc running from it to the pens. There will be 3 nipples per pen...12 pens total...total length of pens is 20yds. Here's a couple pics so to help visualize..

The 55gal drum is uphill slightly

from the valve on that drum to the corner of the pens is about 15yds..

again, total length of pens from corner to corner is 20yds..so around 35yds of pvc

The nipples work on 1psi OR LESS and during my first bout they leaked. I opted to drill the pilot hole a tad bigger than recommended to make the screwing in process easier on the fingers (if you've installed these before you know what I mean)...I thought I could just use some pipe dope on the threads and be good to go...
I was wrong and every damn one of them leaked!!!!!!!!!

However, it seemed like some were leaking from the actual nipple and not from the threads so here's my question..

Is it possible I may be not be getting close to 1psi due to the length of pvc or that something else is going on that I don't quite understand?
Is it plausible to think that if the nipples receive a bit less than the required working pressure that the little stainless ball valve inside won't seat and therefore leak?

This may be a long shot but I couldn't think of a better group of folks to kick around this particular scenario with

So before I attempt to waste my time trying again I thought I'd waste it typing this thread :)

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Click me and see
PostPosted: Sep 16th, '13, 02:07 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: yes
I have been using them for years, I have 5 gallon buckets set up with a toilet float in them to keep them full. I don't think pressure is the problem, I bet your fittings are too loose. Only time mine has leaked is when they froze and backed out some. After they thaw I always have to tighten them up some.

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '13, 05:20 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

You could well be right but I really don't understand how. I used Oatey pipe joint compound on the threads before I installed them and then put a dab all the way around it afterwards. Its supposed to be good to 10,000 psi and there's no set up/wait time with pressures under 125 psi...with those kind of numbers it seems I should be able to drill a hole twice as big as the nipple and just suspend it in the hole and dope the helk out of it....so how the helk can they be leaking???

I have several 5gal bucket setups and never had a problem. In my small mind, there's more pressure on the nipples in the 5gal buckets than there is on this system...but I really have no clue :geek:

PostPosted: Oct 5th, '13, 06:30 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Figured I'd update what my problem was since I know the masses were on pins and needles. Besides drilling a hole that may have been a smidgen too big, I wasn't using sch40 pipe. I didn't even pay attention to that and didn't think the hardware store even carried anything other than sch40. It works like a champ now but I've yet to see a chicken use them yet...probably because they pecked them a hundred times over the last few months and nothing happened

PostPosted: Oct 5th, '13, 06:39 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: yes
We trained ours as chicks. Once you get one doing it, the rest will follow. We brought some geese into our flock and they took to the nipples fast.

PostPosted: Oct 8th, '13, 06:03 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I assumed that starting them young would be best so I better get busy constructing something for the fall chicks...they start hatching Friday!