All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 1st, '07, 19:02 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you human?: YES- kinda
poor bastards that get hit in the face with the police stuff :shock: well, only if they don't deserve it ;)

Advertisement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 4th, '07, 00:53 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Steve,
The police train "live" with the pepper spray and tear gas. After awhile you get some immunity to it.

There is an old joke about the criminal who sued the Police Department for thier dog chewing him up after being pepper sprayed. When the officer who handled the dog took the stand the plaintiff's attorney asked, "what sort of relationship does this dog have with other people?" The officer said, "When we are at work he is 100% business. He is controlable, and follows directions. When I take him home, he is a family pet. He plays with the kids, sleeps on a rug in the kitchen, and is friends with the neighbor's cat." The attorney then asked, "If the dog is such a model citizen, then how can you explain him severly mauling my client?" The officer took a deep breath and said, "Well... ever since I got him, my wife has not been able to raise habanero peppers in the backyard." The attorney, very irrirated, asked, "What does your wife's problems raising hot peppers have to do with your police dog mauling my client?" The officer responded, "The dog keeps eating them!"

This isn't necessarily a hot sauce recipe, put I thought you might want to try it. The next time you decide to grill place some onions (in the skins), some heads of garlic, and an assortment of sweet and hot peppers directly onto the hot coals before or after cooking. Turn the onions, heads of garlic and peppers with long tongs to allow them to evenly roast. When the peppers are evenly blistered remove them from the coals and place them into a paper sack and allow them to cool (make sure you do not have any hot cinders on the peppers before placing them into the paper sack!) When the heads of onions and garlic are well blackend and soft remove them from the coals and set them aside to cool. Peel the blackened skins from the onions, leaving a little browned areas for flavor, and chop the onions. Cut the stem end off of the heads of garlic and remove the now buttery soft cloves. Put the chopped onions into a bowl and squeeze a few cloves of garlic out of thier individual skins and in with the onions. Put the rest of the garlic into a bowl and mix with soft butter. Take the peppers to a sink and peel the blistered skins off under running water. Cut out the stems and cores, and rinse the seeds out under the running water. Now chop the peppers and add them to your onions and garlic. Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and a vinegar of your choice, salt, fresh ground pepper and whatever herbs and seasonings as you might desire. (By using different herbs/spices you can adapt the sauce to whatever cuisine you are cooking.) Use as a side dish, accompaniment, topping, or part of another dish. (You can add chopped tomatoes, cilantro, some lime, and red pepper flakes to make a salsa, or you can add it to fire roasted sweet corn kernels and black/pinto beans, with chopped cilantro and ground cumin to make a salad.) As for the garlic butter use it for making toast, or to season meat when sauteing or as a topping after grilling.
Kevin

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '07, 08:36 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Harissa

250g Chili
1 medium head Garlic (not clove, whole head)
1 tspoon carraway seed crushed
1 tspoon cummin seeds crushed
1 tspoon dried mint (I use fresh because I have it)
3 tspoon corriander
1 tspoon salt
olive oil

Rough chop chili and garlic and combine all ingredients in food processor (I use my stick mixer), with enough olive oil to make a thick paste. Place in small jars with thin layer of olive oil and will keep in the fridge for months.
I use this as a condiment or an ingredient just to spice up a stir fry. eg. Cook stir fry, serve kids, stir in a couple of tspoons of harissa, serve wife, stir in a couple more tspoons serve me :)

This recipe is from Stephanie Alexander's book The Cook's Companion. IMHO this is the best cook book ever.

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '07, 18:42 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: no
Naga Jolokia - i want a bush of this. not planning on putting it in any food (well people i don't want to kill anyway) I just want to brag i have the hottest chilli in the world.
it's almost as bad as pepper spray, i could grow a hedge of it down the side where the trashies hang out. never know i might get lucky and take some of them out. atleast they won't steal from my garden after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 6th, '07, 03:22 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Heh, heh, heh!!! :twisted: Now you're thinking timmy, use natural deterents to remove "pests" from the garden.

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '14, 10:03 

Looking for some chilli sauce recipes in addition to these if anyone has anything they have made or tried.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '14, 14:50 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
I've been Pickling my own jalapenos - found this recipe is perfect.

3/4 cup water

3/4 cup distilled white vinegar

3 tablespoons white sugar

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 clove garlic, crushed

1/2 teaspoon oregano

10 large jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings

Combine water, vinegar, sugar, kosher salt, garlic, and oregano in a saucepan over high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, stir in jalapeno peppers and remove from heat. Let mixture cool for 10 minutes.
Pack peppers into jars using tongs, cover with vinegar mixture, cover, and refrigerate until needed.

Gaz and Danae's Garden

Profile Personal album