All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Anyone playing Ingress?
PostPosted: Dec 28th, '13, 09:04 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
My brother introduced me to it at Christmas, and at first I scoffed but after playing for a few days I like it... :) A game that encourages you to get out walking, cycling, moving around, teaming up with others. Augmenting real features and places around your city/neighbourhood with a layer of competitive game play... :headbang:

I'm off to attack and hack my local university again today... :twisted: Took it over yesterday with the help of a couple of people, but last night someone took it back again.

Got a smart phone? Give it a go, it's free... Oh and join the resistance, go blue.... I'm biased. :)

http://www.ingress.com/

Profile Personal album  
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 28th, '13, 12:56 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: yes
Trying to work out what it is you are doing... Do you head out and look for architecture, symbols, archetypes and so on? I'm guessing you record/pic them and upload or similar? If one faction gets a majority of uploads about something is that what you mean by 'taking over'?

The ingress website doesn't really say much about how it works - and for the next couple of days I'm without a smartphone, so where can I find a better description of how to play?

PostPosted: Dec 28th, '13, 16:00 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Have it installed here but there's only 3 portals in this one horse town, all in the same park within a few hundred meters of each other.. Hoping that improves when I move over to victoria next month..

PostPosted: Dec 29th, '13, 13:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
This is one of the better vids I could find explaining how to play and what's going on..

Strange things happen if you get into the game... Last night there was a level 8 farm created about 10 kms down the road from me, I was told about it via messages and saw it on the intel map http://www.ingress.com/intel , so jumped on the bike and headed down there. Slowly cycling round this little lake hacking the portals collecting gear. Went back again this morning to get more stuff, and while going around the lake hacking the portals I met the couple who had set it up the night before. Dead give away, look foir the people wandering around staring at their phones. I'll try and go back again this arvo to hack some more but I imagine that some green players will have gone down there and nuked it, to stop us getting lots of gear..

A couple of nights ago, green got organized and linked portals from Bunbury to Jurien bay, out to Kellerberin in the wheatbelt. This covered the whole perth metro area in a green field, this means that blue people (resistance) can't do much, under the green field you can't link portals, or create any fields of your own. So just after midnight, my brother drove down to bunbury, meeting up with another person from Busselton to take out the green portal in bunbury, killing their field.. I think he got back at about 5 or 6 in the morning, crazy bugger... :shock:

Anyway, number one thing after watching the video above would be to check the intel map for portals in your local area. If it's lacking portals, never mind, you can submit your own portals very easily within the game while walking around. Long hold on the screen, menu pops up, to the right is the "new portal" button. It switches automatically to camera, you take a picture of the object where you want the new portal to be, eg, art work, sculpture, park entrance sign, building, etc., and it knows the coordinates from your GPS. Enter a name for it, then submit and it should take 2-4 weeks to be approved.. Only takes less than a minute to do, I submitted about 10 yesterday in my local area to make things more exciting..

Profile Personal album