All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 19:49 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Has anybody else been censored on portablefarms.com/Aquaponic Uni site?

I posted a comment on their 'Become a Millionaire on One Acre with Aquaponics' article.

http://portablefarms.com/2014/aquaponics-millionaire/

Quote:
It's my understanding that 10.000 sqft is the very upper limit for a viable niche operation. About that the figure you produce too much material to shift with a niche model. Niche meaning to can get RETAIL prices into a relatively small number of high margin restaurant and catering customers. Start with 1,000 sqft and grow incrementally.

Bigger than that and to need to included a WHOLESALE 'middleman', therefore halving your revenue per unit to cover their cost structure. To start in that game and to be competitive, you need to start with several acres of greenhouses. I've seen ten acres mention, for a high volume crop with tomatoes.

In between five to ten thousand sqft and several acres is economic black hole the very difficult to cross.

The comment was never publish and I got an rude email from the site owner.
Three short paragraphs
Quote:
What's your point?

Without noting your credentials and documenting your successes there no reason for anyone to listen to what you are saying.

If your website is a reflection of your ability, you have absolutely no standing in the business world and probably never will.

I never claimes credentials, that's why I started my comment with "It's my understanding".

I did reply
Quote:
My point is that like market gardening, there are size 'sweet spots'. When you try to grow beyond a 'sweet spot', you incur cost without conmesterate increases in revenues. It is a warning, understand to market and cost structures.

You're right, I don't have commercial aquaponic or market gardening experience. My father was a commercial farmer, my understanding is not just academic. My comment is based on my readings of books & journals (gardering and ag), conference session snipets on YouTube and comments (warning) by a commercial operator on a farm open day.

I got a one work reply "thanks".

My next reply was
Quote:
Are you going to publish and outline where you think I'm wrong?

The next one work reply was "No".

I then sent a email, to try and get my comment published, even without a rebutal.
Quote:
Please reconsider, I didn't use any bad language etc. To not publish my comment would be unjustifiable censorship.

If you don't publish my comments, I'll publish elsewhere with a backlink.

So far I have no reply. So I'll publish this post and keep you up to date.

Noel

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 20:04 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Yes
I don't think I'd call that a forum. More of an advertisement.

Makes sense they won't let negative comments get into their ads. It's take away from the sales. They know full well what they are doing and offering, and sadly, many people will probably fall for it.

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 20:16 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes, that's how you tell the difference between a spiv and an operator who's generally interesting in a long term relationship with their clients.

I'm sure Joel and Murray would have published the comment and have outline their thoughts on the issues raised.

Don't think I've ever seen either publish anything with a title like “Become a Millionaire…”

Nice system thread too, Colum.

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 20:33 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: yes
Man don't you know Colle invented aquaponics!

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 20:47 

Portable farm is and has been a joke for a long time. You seem intelligent, don't waste your time there and it's good so see you post your experience with them here as it helps others that are less unfortunate to have the knowledge to wade through the crap.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 20:57 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Got a reply. It long, so won't publish without permission.

My response:

Quote:
Do you realise I'm not an American. I'm not looking for 'exposure' or trying to sell something. I'm in IT. I just gave my name, I didn't even include a website, when I could have.

Moderation is for removing bad language, rudeness etc, not stifling debate that could bring extra understanding to site readers/future clients, before they take the plunge. Less buyer's remorse. This improving their chance of commercial success and becoming a long term repeat clients. Remember new client acquisition is dearer than current client retention.

I'm sorry you feel this way about what should be moderated

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 21:02 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Charlie wrote:
Portable farm is and has been a joke for a long time. You seem intelligent, don't waste your time there and it's good so see you post your experience with them here as it helps others that are less unfortunate to have the knowledge to wade through the crap.

Yes, I've come to the view in the last few hours.

They look like a nice backyard systems. Futher surfing hasn't shown any Deep Water Culture (DWC) modules. So I now can't see it being commercal for a lot of plant spieces.

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 21:13 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Yes
I wouldn't call someone not publishing your comment censorship. It's not a discussion board, it's a blog post.

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 21:24 

You can still post on a blog, they don't want the discussion because they don't have the answers.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 21:32 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Interesting point. Personally, I've only moderation spam out, after the fact. A cultural difference between America and Australia?

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 22:22 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Have permission to publish all corro

Colle
Quote:
Your questions are based on your opinion and you are certainly entitled to your opinions.

What you really want for an outcome is the exposure of being referenced on our website, and we have politely declined to give you that exposure. That's what a moderated site is designed to accomplish, to keep the information on the track called marketing.

You as a site owner and a business owner have the exact same prerogative and if you're smart you'll have the exact same response. Think about that very carefully before you chose how to move forward.

My reply
Quote:
Do you realise I'm not an American. I'm not looking for 'exposure' or trying to sell something. I'm in IT. I just gave my name, I didn't even include a website, when I could have.

Moderation is for removing bad language, rudeness etc, not stifling debate that could bring extra understanding to site readers/future clients, before they take the plunge. Less buyer's remorse. This improving their chance of commercial success and becoming a long term repeat clients. Remember new client acquisition is dearer than current client retention.

I'm sorry you feel this way about what should be moderated.

Colle
Quote:
Displaying your ignorance is not a good look. A site/business owner can use any criteria they want on their site and that includes what comments are published. We own the site and will not publish your comments. Simple, direct and up to us.

Your website was given in your email address. Duh! Again, displaying your ignorance is not a good look.

Apparently you only have research as your criteria for being successful in business and in life and you have no experience in running a successful company or we would not be having this conversation. I'm giving you way more time and information and advice than you deserve because, odd as it may seem, I'd like to see you succeed at something. Again, displaying your ignorance is not a good look.

You are welcome to publish any or all of our conversations. In doing so, you will be giving a larger audience a look at your own ignorance.

My reply:
Quote:
Oh, I understand where you're coming from. It's just not what I would do.

The exposure comes from the *displayed* web address that I didn't provide (not the unpublished email address). Your site say you don't publish email addresses. You didn't did you?

We fundamentally disagree with the how straight forward we should be with clients and potential clients. That may have something to do with the value we place on repeat business. You given me no information that I find of value, but you are invoking feeling of misgiving, to much like a start-up I should have avoided.

A outfit that isn't straight with it's customer, won't be straight with it's employees. There's a lesson there, in it's own right. Lots of abusive name calling is always a good way to win friend and influence people. Don't think 'successful' in this context is worth it. Selling systems to business that will probably fail is short-term, fly by night behaviour. It's failures of aquaponics business that give the industry a bad name.

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 22:30 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Charlie wrote:
You can still post on a blog, they don't want the discussion because they don't have the answers.

It's a moderated blog, they have not published the comment. That is why I have published it here.

If anyone feels that systems between 10,000 sqft and two or three acres are not blackhole, too big for niche, too small for wholesale, please feel free to chip in. Would be great to have a migration path between the two sizes.

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 23:17 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

These things happpen when you challenge the marketing hype or religious dogma of AP. You will find yourself censored, personal attacks are made upon you, mobbing, etc.... It does no good to point out the sites or its owners flaws. They will not change and it will not change the minds of the zombies that follow them.

I recently had such an expereince with a popular alleged commercial AP grower. They posted an article about media beds versus floating rafts. One of the cons for media beds was that the media beds had to be elevated. I called bullshirt. They responded with, "How many commercial farms do you own?" I just left and pretty much forgot about it until this post.

My advise is to forget about it.

PostPosted: Nov 11th, '14, 23:38 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for you're comment Micheal.

Basically just documenting it for Google's sake. :)

Someone might find this thread before they're parted from their money.

PostPosted: Nov 12th, '14, 00:36 
Legend Member
Legend Member

The industry term is "Aquashiester"

Good on you Gnoll

www.facebook.com/Chattersonfarms