PostPosted: Nov 19th, '14, 17:30 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
Doesn't taste very good to me. So I'm with you there! Haha

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '14, 17:55 

The options are still new to me but I've used almond flour for pizza and that seems the most likely candidate rather than the bean flours. Socca is better for other things like as a substitute for tortillas, even though it doesn't hold together as well - but you do need to like the taste.

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '14, 20:10 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

In my attempts to converge two threads into one here is the link to the original thread that will be directed to here now...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23537

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '14, 20:11 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

From other thread...
werdna wrote:
Now try a 3 day old base... :)

Ya I have still some of the left over dough In the fridge ageing.. Will be 3days tommorow so let's see how it comes out!!

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '14, 22:00 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
I found the most important thing with bread and pizza dough was making sure you have massive heat store, and high temperatures.

When making either, I put chains, an old brake drum, 4 sizzling hotplate things (without the wood bases) and even some weights from a dumbbell, above and below the pizza.

You need lot's of heat, and you also need that heat to be there once you open the door to put your pizza in there.

Forget pizza tiles, just go to a paving stone supplies and get a few free 1 inch thick terracotta tiles.

Lots of heat, and lots of heat storage above and below. Just fill your oven with scrap iron, and crank up the heat!

Hmmm pizza

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '14, 07:50 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: occasionally
The dough is important
I use a 24 hour ferment in the fridge.
Basically 3 cups bread flour 2 teaspoons yeast,1 tsp salt and a cup and a bit of water
knead until ball forms
Put in a bowl thats been greased with EVOO
and cover with glad wrap or shower cap
Leave at room temp until it nearly doubles in size.
Then put in fridge until the next day
Pull it out
Form it into pizzas when cold ( I make 2 X 12 inch)
I do it on baking paper for ease
Put them on pizza trays near the oven which is cranked up full with 2 pizza stones in it.
This takes 20 or 30 minutes mean while the dough has risen some more.

Ive made the toppings
Cut mozzarella into discs (not grated and not cheap mozzarella made with skim milk powder that burns instead of melting)
I use straight passata sparingly smothered on the base and a sprinkle of dried oregano.
Then add cheese leaving lots of gaps
Then toppings
and
Some parmesan and drizzle of EVOO before it goes in
On the stone for about six minutes
When I turn it and remove the paper to brown the base.
Then another 5 or 6 minutes.
I have a peel that makes it easy.

Less is more is the key with toppings
I like traditional Italian tastes not fast food American tastes

Margherita; just add fresh basil leaves when it comes out. (i sometimes add quartered cherry tomatoes to this)
Capricciosa; a few olives mushrooms capsicum cut up bacon
Calabrasi; a few slices of a good calabrasi salami (not a mass produced Hungarian style type,chunks of good meat with no gristle, not finely minced gristle and arm pit meat that passes as a standard salami).
I also do garlic prawn mushroom bacon olive and chilli (virtually only a few of each not too much or its fast food franchise mush)

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '14, 08:53 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

[IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/19/907e0f59afb32f82085c0d657584cece.jpg[/IMG

I love myself some PIZZA!!

Cookie's System
Cookie's page

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '14, 10:45 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES, on my best days
If you're looking to do a pizza from scratch, surely you can't go past a margherita :)
You've got the dough down now, and your aquaponics system can eventually supply you with the tomatoes, basil and - if you're really adventurous with what you grow - even your peppercorns one day!
You can also make a passata from AP tomatoes, maybe add some onion and garlic too.
Colum told us how easy it is to make mozzarella, and at it's most basic you can find everything you need at your nearest supermarket. There's a link in my signature to my cheese-making tangent which I haven't updated in a while but I'll get onto that soon. Mozzarella really is easy, and with a few extra inexpensive ingredients (cultures) you can make any cheese you like really!
From there it's up to your personal tastes to add whatever tickles your fancy. Between AP and a dirt garden there's not much you can't do. Oh, and a mushroom box in the laundry!

My first system: Kat's "Pretty" Aquaponics
My second system: Kat's Newer & Bigger System
My backyard: Kat's (soon-to-be) Suburban Oasis
My tangents: Cheese-making

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '14, 11:17 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Yes
When I make pizza at work, it's usually 400 slices at a time. And I can tell you, I'm using that rolling pin. Not going to stretch the dough for that much, it'll still rise after you roll it out, the puffer you want it, the longer you can leave it on the tray before ovening it.

Some tricks I've learnt. Try milk instead of the water in the dough, it gives it a different texture, I quite like it.

If you like super thin crust, ignore this advice, but: don't kneed the dough after it's risen, I'm trying to think of the word to describe it, but it's more like a shortcrust texture, sort of. I just section it into the amount of pizza you want, then roll and stretch it into shape. Or use the *sigh* dough spinning method (quickest and easiest).

This is when I'm making regular pizza anyway, when the show off chef in me steps in, it's a whole other ballgame.

I start a day in advance and make a 12 hour ferment, then a ciabatta dough:
http://www.pfisterconsulting.com/breads ... batta.html

He has a video, you'll need to watch it to get the texture right, and you beat the living crap out of the dough to develop the gluten. I've killed two mixers in a row making this dough in a cooking demonstation in front of a heap of people, but it needs to be over mixed.

It's a very runny dough as well, no chance of rolling it, or stretching it.

Get some baking paper(good quality, the crap stuff will fall apart and you'll cry trying to pull it all off the pizza once cooked), and simply spread it into a pizza shape, put all your topping on. Simple good quality ingredients work, just fresh and good quality, same with the sauce. If you use the premade pizza sauces in the yoghurt pots, I'll cry. Grow nice tomatoes (who here isn't growing them anyway?), and boil the crap out of the sauce until it's almost paste thickness, almost. Make sure you boiled it with a stack of basil, and remove the boiled leaves. And season properly, with salt and sugar to combat the tartness (I hope everybody is doing this already anyway).

Bullwinkle was right about the heat in the oven thing, but my wife will kill me if I put my weight set in the oven, so...

I only buy deep/heavy based frying pans. I leave them in the oven to heat up, and I slide the pizza dough, toppings and all, onto the red hot fry pan. Bake quickly, and if it's hot enough, and you have good enough baking paper, the pizza will slide off the paper easily for slicing.

The dough has a different texture than regular pizza, it's gooey inside, and crunchy outside. Can't beat it.

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '14, 12:32 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Scotty ok maybe not the dough part but would you help me with the sauce part?

I got like three versions of my sauce but I'm a bit bias since I made it so can't really determine which one is good/best...

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '14, 12:49 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

You know so far for me I find the sauce to be the most important part.. Dough is important you got to have good dough/crust but the part that has the biggest impression on people and also the part that takes the most work is the sauce.

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '14, 13:03 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Yes
Sauce is easy.

Just boil down your home grown tomatoes, season with salt, pepper & sugar to taste.

If you have to use paste, reduce it down in thickness to be runner with tomato puree, add roughly chopped basil, oregano, and a bit of parsley. Then season with salt, pepper & sugar.

You don't taste the tomato sauce as much once the toppings are on the pizza anyway.

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '14, 17:14 

This is the recipe I have used in the past.

This makes 3 pizza bases (thin crust)

3 cups of flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 yeast sachet
1 1/4 cup warm water

Mix components in bowl by cutting in with a knife, once combined kneed on bench for 2-3 mins.
Make a ball and coat with extra virgin olive oil and cover with cling film in a bowl and let proof for 1 hour.
Divide into 3 pieces and roll each out (or if your clever enough throw) into your pizza base shape.
Lay in a pan and prick with a fork all over.
Put on toppings of choice and bake in pizza oven (or normal oven) till base is crispy and top is golden.

Attachment:
P3.jpg
P3.jpg [ 194.75 KiB | Viewed 1767 times ]

Attachment:
marron%20pizza.jpg
marron%20pizza.jpg [ 155.39 KiB | Viewed 1767 times ]

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '14, 06:44 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

You know something I learned today... Is that there is a fine line between making pizza sauce and salsa... Haha.. At least for me there is idk if anyone agrees with me.

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '14, 06:50 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Took three hours but I finally finished my pizza sauce! From start to finish it is finished! Started at 2pm central time finished at 5pm central time! And that is that I rushed it on some parts... So really it takes 4-5hrs to make it! What is wrong with me? Haha