All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '15, 01:09 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: family Hominidae
For anyone in Western Australia interested in science (aren't we all?) there is likely to be something of interest to you up around Gingin, Seabird, Guilderton, Lancelin and the Gravity Discovery Centre over the next several weeks.

There's a massive celebration of all aspects of science across the Shire of Gingin to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, which was proven conclusively by a scientific expedition right here in WA, back in 1922: light bends with gravity. There is an astonishing exhibition being set up right now that memorializes the incredibly successful Wallal Eclipse Expedition, as it was called. The exhibition is called 'Curved Space and Warped Time: Australia Tests Einstein', and opens Friday 14th August at the historic Gingin Railway Station, remaining open for the duration of the Gingin Science Festival, which winds up with yet another free concert on 19 September.

Why a science festival in Gingin? Well, Gingin Shire is home to the Gravity Precinct, comprising the Australian International Gravitational Observatory (AIGO), the Gravity Discovery centre, the Gingin Observatory and a multi-million dollar gravity research facility, so it's all about light and gravity, which are what Einsteins Theory of General Relativity was concerned with.

There are lots of concerts, most of them free, four of them on the first weekend alone. On Sat 15th and Sun 16th August there are concerts going simultaneously at the Gingin Soundshell and at the Gravity Discovery Centre, which are about 20km apart.

There will be more than music, though, with at least two Science Symposia scheduled, one with a regional focus with some excellent speakers and the other more cosmic/quantum focussed, featuring, amongst other amazing speakers, a Nobel Prize winner. There will be up to forty Farm Science tours, exhibits and demonstrations involving all manner of rural pursuits such as the production of honey, angus beef cattle, citrus fruit, loose leaf lettuce, organic compost, sheep and goats, wine grape growing, olive growing, turf production, coffee (in a cup) as well as technology based demonstrations like small farm irrigation, electric fencing and even a special three day well-boring demonstration.

There will be a series of 'Science in the Pub' events, incorporating SciKwiz activities, across a number of local watering holes. There will be science stalls with rockets, giant bubbles, lots of snakes, Dr Tesla, pedal powered renewable energy, scouts, and more! There will be cooking demonstrations using fresh local produce (did I mention that Gingin is the food bowl of Perth?) as part of the Taste of the Silver Coast 'Culinary Science' event.

Did I mention the amazing art exhibitions that are also part of the Gingin Science Festival? The Light of Einstein Exhibition is nothing short of mind blowing with a laser art exhibition called 'Coherence to Chaos' being just one of ten components of this larger exhibition. And there are science and light based exhibitions at three other galleries over the duration of the Festival. Did I mention it is the International Year of Light?

And entry is free for just about all of these events! Free, but ticketed so go to ginginsciencefestival.com.au to get your free tickets and I'll see you up here for some scientific fun!

(This festival has kept me busy for many months and is my excuse for not posting much in the BYAP forums lately.)

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '15, 06:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
Sounds great PLJ, I'd be there if it wasn't 4000km away!

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '15, 11:01 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Good on you, Guna, I'm sure you would be.

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '15, 11:34 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
+1

Sounds like it will be a great event :thumbright:

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '15, 16:06 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Thanks Joblow, it should be great - but if attendances are low because of our hit and miss marketing then it will be disappointing.

PostPosted: Aug 16th, '15, 01:08 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Her Excellency the Honourable Kerry Sanderson AO, Governor of Western Australia officially 'launched' the Gingin Science Festival on Friday. After a morning tea and the formalities, the Governor made her way down to our improvised rocket launch site, with the aid of her ADC (since she has a broken foot), and pressed the button that launched a magnificent rocket hundreds of metres up into the sky.

Prof David Blair, whose brainchild the Festival is, looks back to the crowd of onlookers who are at a safe distance.

Attachment:
Governor on way to Launch Rocket.jpg
Governor on way to Launch Rocket.jpg [ 186.41 KiB | Viewed 1617 times ]

Rocket courtesy of the WA Rocketry Society.

PostPosted: Aug 16th, '15, 09:07 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
Looks good PLJ I hope the attendance was better than expected and everyone had a great time. :thumbright:

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

PostPosted: Aug 16th, '15, 23:17 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joblow, attendance was good at the opening ceremony but a bit disappointing over the weekend concerts. Everyone had a great time, alright - the acts were sensational! Yesterday at the Gingin Soundshell we had:
Defying Gravity,
Kalamunda Youth Swing Band,
Classic Sounds Fiddlers, and
Resonator.

Today we had:
Rob and Kelly,
Pink and White Bridge,
Dylan Dickinson, and
Spaceman Antics.

The Gingin Soundshell is an excellent venue for live bands, and is set amidst a beautiful lawn in a picturesque park.