All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: A Ute is needed
PostPosted: Mar 3rd, '16, 21:58 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
dlf_perth wrote:
>> I find the UTE fascinating.

As most Aussies find the Yank-utes 'trucks' interesting (as do the rest of world I guess).... and things like car-park tail gate grills. Love it when Top Gear USA have the big trucks on their reviews.

Exactly

Want a Ford Raptor - cool truck. The velociRaptor version flogged a few supercars on the US Top Gear Stig circuit and then did 100+ miles an hour in a desert race against a halo jumper. Unbelievable. https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150raptor/

I remember looking out of 2nd storey motel window in Laramie at a parking lot and seeing a Jeep parked in amongst a heap of trucks and it looked like a Suzuki Sierra (Aussies will get that). Even worse in a humble hire car on the interstate with those guys doing 80 miles per hour.

Unfortunately corporations rule the USA. If one was to watch the television much he'd come to understand that a man can not be a man unless he trades economy for horsepower. IMHO, it is disgusting.
This is what I see all too often in the morning on my way to work. It's the wild wild west even for the morning commute!
Attachment:
dodge-dually-commuter.jpg
dodge-dually-commuter.jpg [ 143.74 KiB | Viewed 842 times ]

:?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 3rd, '16, 22:06 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: god will decide
Hey Boss, I just could not afford it, and I dont want it :-)

PostPosted: Mar 4th, '16, 20:53 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: mostly
Quote:
Unfortunately corporations rule the USA. If one was to watch the television much he'd come to understand that a man can not be a man unless he trades economy for horsepower. IMHO, it is disgusting.

it is interesting how the rest of the world basically stayed with the 2.5-3L commercial ute which can actually fit in a garage and a shopping centre car parking space.

Though of late the utes available in Australia have been drifting towards the larger size - eg. Ford Ranger, Mazda BT50 and the Isuzu. But still pretty much in the 3L-3.5L range. People are finding them hard to squeeze into their garages and work car spaces.

If you had a Ford 150 in Oz it would be considered BIG - some the the things like Dodge Rams etc are like the super-size me of cars. Sounds like a good idea but you don't need it. In USA a F150 is 'normal sized' and a hummer is considered a viable road car.

Funny how the mainstay of exploration and mining was the humble UK landrover and basic landcruiser for many years. And the US military jeep and the UK Willis jeep was really very very small.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Mar 4th, '16, 22:34 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
dlf_perth wrote:
Quote:

it is interesting how the rest of the world basically stayed with the 2.5-3L commercial ute which can actually fit in a garage and a shopping centre car parking space.

Though of late the utes available in Australia have been drifting towards the larger size - eg. Ford Ranger, Mazda BT50 and the Isuzu. But still pretty much in the 3L-3.5L range. People are finding them hard to squeeze into their garages and work car spaces.

If you had a Ford 150 in Oz it would be considered BIG - some the the things like Dodge Rams etc are like the super-size me of cars. Sounds like a good idea but you don't need it. In USA a F150 is 'normal sized' and a hummer is considered a viable road car.

Funny how the mainstay of exploration and mining was the humble UK landrover and basic landcruiser for many years. And the US military jeep and the UK Willis jeep was really very very small.

truth
Our Dodge Dually dump bed truck has the Cummings 5.9l turbo diesel. I can not imagine parking it in town. When it was running it got 18 mpg (7.65259kmpl) Doh! My Jeep liberty CRD 2.8l turbo-diesel gets a little better mpg at 19-20 but it does weigh nearly 5 tons! US auto manufacturers can't seem to make an economy SUV

:?

PostPosted: Aug 27th, '16, 09:01 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
dlf_perth wrote:
>> I find the UTE fascinating.

As most Aussies find the Yank-utes 'trucks' interesting (as do the rest of world I guess).... and things like car-park tail gate grills. Love it when Top Gear USA have the big trucks on their reviews.

Want a Ford Raptor - cool truck. The velociRaptor version flogged a few supercars on the US Top Gear Stig circuit and then did 100+ miles an hour in a desert race against a halo jumper. Unbelievable. https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150raptor/

I remember looking out of 2nd storey motel window in Laramie at a parking lot and seeing a Jeep parked in amongst a heap of trucks and it looked like a Suzuki Sierra (Aussies will get that). Even worse in a humble hire car on the interstate with those guys doing 80 miles per hour.

You do not want to pay for those suckers, even the lighter ones like the 150 go for at least 40k. I had customer test driving a F150, nicely decked out, 59k plus tax. Raptor, start around 60k.
10 years ago I needed to replace my 1 ton, that's ones with the dual rear axel. 45k for the cheapest.
If you go in the US to a dealership and just walk the lot, GMC, Chevy, Ford, Toyota etc. you hardly find one under 40k, new, with a 4feet by 8 feet bed.

I buy mine used and always in a city, they do not get beaten up, like in farm country, never have seen a dirt road or what ever.
Diesels are nice, especially if one hauls loads, torque does the trick, but when ever something goes wrong with the engine, it gets rather pricy. For most people a gas will do, they might not get the mileage, but than they cost less, cost less to fix and cost less on oil changes and so on.

PostPosted: Aug 27th, '16, 09:15 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
boss wrote:
dlf_perth wrote:
Quote:

truth
Our Dodge Dually dump bed truck has the Cummings 5.9l turbo diesel. I can not imagine parking it in town. When it was running it got 18 mpg (7.65259kmpl) Doh! My Jeep liberty CRD 2.8l turbo-diesel gets a little better mpg at 19-20 but it does weigh nearly 5 tons! US auto manufacturers can't seem to make an economy SUV

Hihihi, I still have my F650, with a 7.2 Powerstroke. Its still from the times when I was a Professional Three Day Eventer and Jumper. Had that little horse trailer with a small living quarter and 8 horse bay.
Three stage chip 220 to 450 hp, stage 2 and 3 were just crusing stages, the clutch would not hold when the torque kiks in, with the trailer, but nice on the Interstate, holding steady speed and one is soft with the pedal. Loaded to the limit, maybe 8 miles a gallon, never got over 10.
I use it now to haul the water for the farm, has a flat bed, 1200 gallon tank, 12 miles a gallon.
Well its a little older over 500k miles.
Just like me, rattels and shakes a bit :D , still going