All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: A Ute is needed
PostPosted: Feb 28th, '16, 20:21 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
price will vary but if you aim your price range in the $5000-$10,000 range you would get something pretty reasonable.

2WD will be a lot cheaper than 4WD and single cab more cheaper than dual/crew cab (but limited space inside). Diesel will be bit dearer BUT may have access to cheaper/free fuel if working in agricultural areas and engines generally last a bit longer.

If me I would stay with a commercial ute (Nissan, Misubishi, Toyota, Mazda, Ford courier, Holden Rodeo etc) and not go the commodore/ford falcon route - but each to their own. Many of all these (apart from Toyota and Mazda) are quite low cost. I have owned/used all of these at one point or another and mostly it comes down to how well they have been treated and whether they have been used a lot on the beach (= rust issues in older cars).

A well back means you can get a canopy if you want to go camping/travelling - and it will fit an IBC easily - for AP ;-)
Tray back may suit work use better. But everything in back of either will get dusty if you drive/travel a lot on unsealed roads. Which makes a dual/crew/extended cab useful even for 2 people (and can lock stuff up inside)

Generally if you buy something in Brisbane and then didn't like it I suspect you could sell it pretty quickly in most places.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 28th, '16, 22:00 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: god will decide
Thank you! This was very helpful!

PostPosted: Feb 29th, '16, 07:58 
A posting God
A posting God

looking at something like carsales com au will show you what is around.

in $5000-$10,000 there is quite a bit.

basically 2WD easily in dual cab, single cab or extra cab options no problem.
around 150,000km would be better than 200,000+ Many have canopies.

in 2WD you also see a lot of toyota hilux - in 2WD they are a good vehicle to aim for because they sell easy
provided they are basically in good-reasonable condition. But Mazda/Nissan/Holden/Ford/Mitsubishi all OK.
As before I would consider a dual cab or extra/extended cab (1.5x cab).
In most places a 2WD would be fine.

4WD is harder as the better ones tend to sit in the $10,000-$15,000 range, but few around in the $8k-$10k area.
Hilux are much more expensive. Mazda is a good option. Nissan/Ford Courier/Holden Rodeo/Mitsubishi OK.
As a rule with <$10,000 you are looking at high km's (200,000+) and you have to be very careful to check the underside of the vehicle since those used for beach/real 4WD'ing can often be hard worn.

In 4WD tray backs are often a bit cheaper than well bodies, but many have done a lot of km's.

Aside from utes - if you tap into the backpacker market there are always vehicles being swapped around by your compatriots via the Backpacker hostels. Maybe it is easier to get a car/station wagon/van initially and then work out what you want - as you are no doubt working with back[ackers etc, it would probably be easy to sell you car again if it is pretty reasonable working order.

PostPosted: Feb 29th, '16, 17:58 

Are you human?: Nope! I'm a machine.
Perpetuitas wrote:
No I mean the work :-)

The work is fine - would be better if it was all for myself but I am still working on that. Beats sitting behind a desk in front of a computer (my previous career).

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Mar 1st, '16, 05:25 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@ Arbe: I am working on the same, but I am working/fighting the Australian Immigration System....

@ Darren! I love your advise! Thanks alot! will think of it when I am getting to QLD.

PostPosted: Mar 1st, '16, 08:13 

So many options, what will be the primary use of the ute? Does it need to be 4x4?

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Mar 1st, '16, 12:30 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
They're all quite similar

Petrol motors will use more fuel than Diesels

Diesel motors cost more to maintain and fix than petrol motors.

Avoid anything with a "common rail" motor, they're time bombs

At that mileage and price I'd also avoid turbo diesels

I have an AU falcon trayback, it's a brilliant vehicle. In the city it uses around 18L/100km but in the country more like 9L/100km

Falcons are cheap to maintain and fix, parts are available everywhere, but you may use slightly more fuel than a diesel depending on how you drive it. They're fine for dirt roads and a lot more comfortable than most of the other options

PostPosted: Mar 1st, '16, 21:41 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
It's all fun and games until someone get hurt!
Attachment:
Jackalope.jpg
Jackalope.jpg [ 21.17 KiB | Viewed 3586 times ]

PostPosted: Mar 2nd, '16, 00:58 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Charlie wrote:
So many options, what will be the primary use of the ute? Does it need to be 4x4?

Well Charlie, you know me: I will need to carry IBCs round my place to get my Aquaponics up and running :-). If I dont use it for that reason I will be on the tray with a beer on the garden chair to enjoy the sunset.

As far as I know there is a ute available on the farm but something has died in the before 1930. It just smells. And since he asked for "own transportation" and I just love to own a ute.

But I probably will be transporting spare parts and bulk loads on palets on a tray. I want to use my ute for work stuff as I want that job. I have worked for him, and I liked it.
There is no need for a 4x4. At least I never needed it ones in my time there. I like a extended cup, but that whole thing need to be rugged. It will be loved, but used as well.

@ boss What are you tring to tell us?

PostPosted: Mar 3rd, '16, 06:26 

Common rail is basically a more fuel efficient way of delivering fuel to an engine, but can be more costly if failure occurs, a lot of injected petrol cars are now common rail too. I wouldn't consider them ticking time bombs. The only time bomb engine is the older 3L turbo patrols (pre-2004) and the reason for this is they have a EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculation) which send exhaust gases back into the intake side of the engine for emission control reasons, this in turn gums up the MAF (max airflow sensor) and messes with the air/fuel ratio and burns out No.4 cylinder as exhaust temps go through the roof.

Diesels have come a long way these days and can in some cases be more fuel efficient than petrols, with the added benefit of low down torque.

Theres a range of utes for your price range and use and may just come down to personal preference. Id probably go for an older 2x4 hilux, very reliable all round ute that can handle a bit of rough. Or for more conform maybe an older falcon or holden ute as mentioned previously.

Im buying a Isuzu D-Max this year, easily the most reliable and fuel efficient diesel on the market.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Mar 3rd, '16, 09:44 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Common Rail diesels are great vehicles, when new.

Once they get to about 80k km's it's time to sell them, because once they get to 100k km's things start going wrong.

I have a fleet of them so I see more failures than the average person who only owns one

Recent example is a D40 Navara, it coughed and died with no warning on a drive between Melbourne and Adelaide. Pulled the service records and it had been fitted with a new injector by Nissan about 30k km's earlier under waranty (hence one injector not a whole set), symptoms were consistant with another injector going.

Rang the local dealership to get a price on new injectors - $1400 each

Rang my preferred diesel injection workshop who puleld it down and inspected it - had 3 failed injectors, and minute metal particles in the fuel rail which were due to either the pump or rail failing

4 injectors + rail + pump = $8,000 at trade prices, closer to $12,000 if you were a guy off the street

Average age he gets a common rail 4WD in these days is 100-120k km's typically with the same issues, brand is irrelevant they all use the same injection system.

Shouldn't have held onto that ute, if I'd have sold it at the normal age it's a bill we would have avoided.

We used to keep landcruisers with 2H or 1HZ motors until around 200k km's but these more modern vehicles are good for only half of that - and cost about half as much...

An older style mechanically injected diesel is a good thing if it's been serviced. If it's 20 years old with 200k+ km's on the clock you need to budget on a turbo going (if it has one). A turbo will run you around $1500 provided it doesn't spit chunks of metal down your intake, then you're up for more like $5,000.

If mileage will be low just go for a petrol, they don't have the catastrophic service/maintainance/repair costs

PostPosted: Mar 3rd, '16, 10:53 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
I don't want to get into it to much sounds like your having a poor run Sean,
but your pricing seems exxcee :
https://dencodiesel.com/products/common ... uro-4-6250

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Mar 3rd, '16, 14:40 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I was including labor costs, it's not like unbolting a carburettor there is quite a bit of work involved.

PostPosted: Mar 3rd, '16, 20:15 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Damn, what a bummer about the common rail diesels. The USA has something against small diesels. I searched far and wide for my 2005 Jeep Liberty 2.8 TD. Love it. Got it at 98,000 miles now at 166,000 miles (267km) I've got my fingers crossed all the time. I do wish it had a tray, as you call it. It is a really small box. Sorry I know this is supposed to be about Aussie trucks. I find the UTE fascinating.

PostPosted: Mar 3rd, '16, 20:24 
A posting God
A posting God

>> I find the UTE fascinating.

As most Aussies find the Yank-utes 'trucks' interesting (as do the rest of world I guess).... and things like car-park tail gate grills. Love it when Top Gear USA have the big trucks on their reviews.

Want a Ford Raptor - cool truck. The velociRaptor version flogged a few supercars on the US Top Gear Stig circuit and then did 100+ miles an hour in a desert race against a halo jumper. Unbelievable. https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150raptor/

I remember looking out of 2nd storey motel window in Laramie at a parking lot and seeing a Jeep parked in amongst a heap of trucks and it looked like a Suzuki Sierra (Aussies will get that). Even worse in a humble hire car on the interstate with those guys doing 80 miles per hour.