All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Free Seeding Project
PostPosted: May 7th, '16, 18:35 
My wife and I have started a Free seeding Project. When we find a spot that looks good enough to plant a typical type of seed we have, we drop some in. Wet areas for tomatoes and vine plants. Semi wet for other veggies and watered areas for flowers or plants.. Some of the flower seeds are starting to grow out there. where ever your there is. When we locate an area we will mark it on our map and toss some seeds in. Even if someone else grabs the veggie, Ok, they must have needed them more then we did. Maybe some poor person found it and can eat tonight. My wife got a kick out of the flowers that started. And that is all that counts.

Now I would not go tossing watermelon seeds on a golf fairway but near a swamp area. yeah! I used to have a banana tree outside of my yard and it was a toss out of a garbage banana by someone. It took a few years but the tree is growing bananas. Someone always manages to pick them. Hey, free food is good food. Try it as a sub-hobby with your garbage seeds.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Free Seeding Project
PostPosted: May 9th, '16, 05:02 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Thought I WAS
So, do I understand that you are just looking for random areas, where you sow suitable seeds and then leave for other folk to enjoy.

Sounds like a good idea, provided that others don't destroy them prior to harvest..

PostPosted: May 9th, '16, 10:32 
BuiDoi wrote:
So, do I understand that you are just looking for random areas, where you sow suitable seeds and then leave for other folk to enjoy.

Sounds like a good idea, provided that others don't destroy them prior to harvest..

If someone else who needs it enjoys it first then that is good also. We have so many seeds, I will never miss a hand full or a couple of old tomatoes or pumpkin guts or the bad brown/black banana. With the flowers we had found one nice purple one on an adventure that went to seed and we grabbed the stalks. Those are the seed she simply tossed in an area and are growing. In a few months the area will have nice local flowers we can all enjoy.

So as you wrote, random areas that are suitable for the seed you add. Place and cover or toss to the wind. We got this idea from people that go deep into the woods here and plant root plants. They take a lot of room and time to grow so they take a chance on them not being found. Some poor people will dig them up and eat but they need it. So? Plant away and have fun at the same time. I guess that some animals will enjoy a free lunch and that is Ok with us also. Just to see what happens is half the fun of it. s far as being destroyed before harvest, That is even a problem I have myself. I have killed more seedlings in transplant then any other reason.

PostPosted: May 9th, '16, 14:44 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Aquatic Life Form
I have a particular place here which I am trying to turn it into a food forest. I chucked in a lot of peach, apricot, almond, olive, nectarine etc seeds with a sling shot :-)

I do guerrilla gardening and grafting a lot too.

Fish: Trout / Silver Perch
Hailea 80 air pump
1FT-1RFF-4GBs-1ST
Gurkan The Cheesemaker
Pictures of My AP System
My site

PostPosted: May 9th, '16, 15:18 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
Reminds me of years ago[50years ago] when I worked at the butter factory threes was a bloke that rode a bike and before going home he would fill his pockets with seed wheat oats ryegrass clover and as he rode home he would distribute it
At the roadside there was the best crop you could imagine

PostPosted: May 9th, '16, 20:03 
GurkanYeniceri: guerrilla gardening, first time I have heard that. Sounds fun. Sling shot for seeding lol

F&F, yeah that guy knew what he was doing. And from a bike seat.

At one point in time I imagine the forest was full of food till we got here. All of the plants we eat now came from somewhere. Time to send some back so in the future if we can't get seeds we know where some should be. A cheap investment.

PostPosted: May 10th, '16, 04:40 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
ya, I can maybe do this with fruit bearing cacti.
I've had no luck germinating cactus seeds yet.

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: May 10th, '16, 04:50 

Are you human?: no
Around here there are a few apple and plum trees I know of two other places m that have as asparagus growing on the road side near myrtleford theres oranges on the side of the great alpine road [ I remember the old house being there ]
Theres BlackBerrys every where
I am about to start planting the front yard with fruit trees
At my age I wont see much benefit but I hope others will

PostPosted: May 10th, '16, 08:07 
Fruit trees are nice ever bearing goodies of nature. So what if you won't make it to see the trees fruit. Others will. That's the important part. I would also like to see if we can start more trees this way. Will collect more pits and pods.

PostPosted: May 12th, '16, 11:00 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Aquatic Life Form
I have started pear, nashi, apple seedlings from seeds. I have about 45 seedlings in pots which I am going to graft this winter. The only problem is I don't have enough space but I talked to my son's primary school principle and I will donate some to them for their orchard.

Fish: Trout / Silver Perch
Hailea 80 air pump
1FT-1RFF-4GBs-1ST
Gurkan The Cheesemaker
Pictures of My AP System
My site

PostPosted: May 12th, '16, 11:22 
Good for all involved Gurkan.

I once was asked to make a donation to the local village and I didn't want to give them cash. I knew it would go in a greedy pocket and the village would never see it. So I bought them trees instead. It ended up being about a dozen of them for the same money. Planted and watered for a month. The trees are still there, the money would have been gone in a heartbeat. Now if we can all pay our taxes in trees, the politics would change for sure.

PostPosted: May 12th, '16, 19:25 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: If the temps >-40
My luck the seed would be considered a noxious plant and I'd be fined.... We do have some 'escaped garden' plants from upstream... Very pretty but I would prefer the food bearing types.

PostPosted: May 13th, '16, 10:33 
LazyK, why, do they have the Monsanto police every where now a days. Just drop some as you walk along, walk back over them to push them into the ground. I do read that people in the states are getting arrested for starting a garden. Is this true? Sounds like it is by your worried note. Food should be everywhere we look. It is what outside is meant for. Humans took it all away and put it on caged farms so people would need to pay for it. I like farmers and have nothing wrong with them, I just would like to see more local plants everywhere. when I was a kid we could stay out for days and eat off the land. All they have to eat here is concrete. All the wild food is gone.

PostPosted: May 13th, '16, 11:44 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Deuem wrote:
LazyK, why, do they have the Monsanto police every where now a days. Just drop some as you walk along, walk back over them to push them into the ground. I do read that people in the states are getting arrested for starting a garden. Is this true? Sounds like it is by your worried note. Food should be everywhere we look. It is what outside is meant for. Humans took it all away and put it on caged farms so people would need to pay for it. I like farmers and have nothing wrong with them, I just would like to see more local plants everywhere. when I was a kid we could stay out for days and eat off the land. All they have to eat here is concrete. All the wild food is gone.

In Maine there is food like that.
gooseberries which are better just before they're ripe, raspberries, tiny strawberries, blueberries. it's awesome.

Sent from my LG-K120 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: May 13th, '16, 16:45 
Bill, the only problem is I am 10,000 miles from Maine. I need some stuff a lot closer then there. I have camped there in the past and we always picked wild blueberries for the pancakes the next morning. Good stuff, nice place. Saw a moose and took my first lake plane ride. The one with floats. Have fished a lot of the coast there and like the fresh lobster. Need to get back there some day.