All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Internet privacy
PostPosted: Aug 5th, '16, 20:27 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
Two nights ago I watched three TV episodes on youtube of a show about tiny houses. Living in them, building them etc.

Slightly interesting show.

The day after, Mrs BullwinkleII gets an email from Guangxi Weiguan Modular House Co., Ltd, that starts with some photos and then goes on to ask...

Hi [Mrs Bullwinkle's real first name]

above houses, which one do you like? how much quantity do you need?

Tina Wong
Guangxi Weiguan Modular House Co., Ltd.
CN

Sometimes the world is a scary place.

I'm guessing they got our IP address from youtube marketing, but after that I have no idea how it got back to her first name. I've tried in the past to take someone's IP address that far back and cant.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Internet privacy
PostPosted: Aug 5th, '16, 21:25 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Not before 8am
I have quite a few domain names registered, some of them I pay extra to have my details as the owner supressed. One of those "details supressed" domains, which is currently parked and not linked with any website, is due for renewal a few weeks. A few days ago I got a phone call from an Indian guy called "Richard", who obviously obtained my phone number from somewhere, and who asked for me by name, to inform me that his company could renew that particular domain name for less than what I'm currently paying with 'X' register???

How did he get my name and phone number?... The domain registrar reckons my details are protected and if that domain name is searched it only shows their details as the contact, not mine, which I've checked.

As far as security is concerned, the interweb is so full of holes it's not funny... It's actually scary... I'm probably currently buying a house and a car in Bombay.

It brings next weeks compulsory Census into perspective, now that most people are going to be doing it online... and the govt will now have your I.P. address... and for the first time in the history of the census your private details will be retained, along with all your private responses to their intrusive questions... But they assure us the information will be secure, even though the govt system has been hacked 14 times in the last couple of years.

PostPosted: Aug 5th, '16, 22:30 

They may have gained the information between the time you registered, and the time you went anonymous.

When we registered our first business, we got a shipload of genuine Australia Post junk mail for office furniture within a day or so.

Everyone knows everything.

Except me it seems.

I want to just run away to some island and eat coconuts and be left alone.

... and get the thousands of dollars each year of free medication and health care I receive.

Let's not get silly here :)

I wish someone had created the environmental disaster that planting coconuts down the length of the murray river would have created, but 200 years before it would have been thought of as a bad idea.

Captain Cook, why did you plant willows instead of coconuts?

And another thing....

Captain Cook, why did you plant willows instead of coconuts?

I just thought it was worth saying twice.

My system

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Aug 5th, '16, 22:34 

Probably for essential cricket bats.

For anyone in bits of the world not finding themselves oddly governed by a queen, "cricket bats" are not an insect eating, flying marsupial, but are in fact sporting equipment.

Which is odd.

My system

PostPosted: Aug 5th, '16, 23:27 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Not before 8am
BullwinkleII wrote:
They may have gained the information between the time you registered, and the time you went anonymous.

Nope!... That's why only some are anonymous... When I registered my first few domains years ago, I wasn't offered the option and didn't know it existed, it's only the last few I registered about two years ago that are "protected"... When I went to register them I was offered the "details protected" option, which I took up from day one... The interweb just sucks... George Orwell is laughing at us all.

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '16, 01:11 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Not sure.
How any of you currently run Windows 10?

If so, you may want to do a bit of research regarding it.

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '16, 01:17 

I hate the fact that we are faced with that choice of convenience over privacy.

Just in case there is anyone who doesn't understand what happens on a daily basis while you do your thing online. And please understand this is just in case there is anyone who doesn't know this stuff, I'm not trying to break a story here...

If you browse like a normal human who isn't paranoid, and owns no foil headwear/underwear, you can rest assured that almost everything you have ever done has been tracked, and recorded.

Everything.

For ever.

For example...

If I do a search for the word "fish" on google, I see a stack of stuff around BYAP in my search results. That's because Google thinks I'm obsessed with BYAP, and everything I want to know about fish has something to do with BYAP. Not such a bad inference, and that's why google is so good at finding what I want to see more of.

I also see a stack of hits for my blog's images on things like fishing lures.

Google shows me things it thinks I'm interested in.

I own my "how to make a lure" thing on my blog, so google thinks i'm obsessed with it.

I guess I am compared to most of the rest of the net.

That is very cool, and makes my day to day life very easy when I want muffin recipes, or when I want my own political views confirmed.

If I generally search with a Fascist leaning, I'll get Fascist news stories when i do a search for hand made fishing lures.

Which is very very cool if I want Fascist stuff.

But I put it to you that the world may have been best served by fascists being fed some search hits that had nothing to do with being fascists

All my searches are stored for ever.

So are yours.

For Ever.

That's a long time.

Longer than ever before, so far.

This isn't some kind of wacky conspiracy theroy, this is just normal google company policy. Tying an individual to their search history is how they target advertising to you, and the things you're interested in. Mostly, I find it kind of useful. I personally have a limited interest in snow machines, and fascist fishing lures. But now that I've mentioned them, I'll probably see a bit of advertising for them.

Generally speaking, I like the adverts google gives me, because they tend to be about the kind of things I'm interested in.... for example, I've been seeing a lot of adds for deep cycle batteries. I'm interested in those.

One thing you can be sure of is that google search results don't give you a broad spread of the world's news.

If ever you want to see just how focused your searches have been made, try searching for something like the word "fish" in your normal browser, then searching for the same word "fish" after selecting "new incognito" window from the three stripes menu bar in chrome, or new private window from the same three stripes menu bar in firefox.

ie search for the word "fish" in an anonymous browser

When I search for "fish" in my normal browser, I see 60% of the first 100 images in google images as being mine, because google thinks I'm obsessed with the images on my blog about fish, fishing, and making lures.

Obsessed, because I posted them, because I reference them, and because they have a connection to the other things I'm seen as obsessed with... BYAP, fish, aquaponics, fishing, etc etc etc

If I search for the word "fish" anonymously I get much less focused results. Perhaps about trout farming in mexico or something.

But when I search for the word "fish"through a VPN, I get references to an old actor in a TV series, going out in a boat and catching fish, fish farming via aquaculture, and aquaponics.

The downside is that if you are a fascist, you probably see a lot of non-fascist news stories presented to you.

So...

I guess you have to wade through that.

But generally speaking, if anyone asks, tell them you give your internet login to any backpacker that asks.
That way, whatever it is, it's the fault of the people of Switzerland, or whom ever stayed at your house last.

Bam!

FreeDumb!

My system

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '16, 01:19 

Mr Damage wrote:
BullwinkleII wrote:

Nope!... That's why only some are anonymous... When I registered my first few domains years ago, I wasn't offered the option and didn't know it existed, it's only the last few I registered about two years ago that are "protected"... When I went to register them I was offered the "details protected" option, which I took up from day one... The interweb just sucks... George Orwell is laughing at us all.

Bastards!

My system

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '16, 01:24 

I normally run linux, but I bought a new (second hand) box running windows 10 and haven't gotten around ti changing it yet

My system

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '16, 10:41 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Aug 6th, '16, 14:48 

It's a strange world when you browse anonymously.

You get adds for everything at random, so you find your self asking "WT? Why is google offering me roller skates?".

I don't know which is more annoying.

My system

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '16, 14:53 

Are you human?: no
Yes if I look at something on ebay a few days later are you still interested then later the item you looked at has been reduced

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '16, 21:40 

And another thing ... :)

I hate it when you are looking for a product.... say an engagement ring or something you are hoping to only buy one of, and then for the rest of your life we get ads for that product.

ALIBABA! WE ALREADY BOUGHT ELECTRIC BIKES AND WE DON'T WANT ANY MORE!

LEAVE US ALONE!

:)

My system

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '16, 21:58 

earthbound wrote:

That's not even funny.

You just made me more miserable :)

I haven't been to a retail store in awhile (other than a supermarket), and now I'm pooping my pants.

I'm going to one on monday, so I can tell my great nephews and nieces about what it used to be like before this actually kicks in :).

From what I understand this isn't too far away. The RF ID tags on products (the things that let you self checkout books at you local library that look like a square swirl of foil) are apparently readable by anyone with a passing interest in whatever adult toy/political magazine you just bought/borrowed/sold/swapped/shared etc.

They reflect radio waves passively so the range they are detectable is based on how loud the reader is shouting... like radar.

If you shout radar at something really loud, you can read radar stuff from a decent distance.

As I understand it, Walmart requires everyone they buy from to have RF ID tags fitted to their products.

And every book in my library does the same (I'm not hassling Walmart)

But I think anyone in the car park can detect what books/products I checkout.

I need to start hand carving my own toys.

Anyone have any splinter free wood?

:bootyshake: :whip:

My system