All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Sep 22nd, '17, 03:54 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Jan 6th, '16, 09:41
Posts: 1267
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Charlotte, MI, USA
I was curious if there were any scuba divers here? I'm sure others will enjoy this too, but thought it was a good chance to reach out to other divers and get some other dive videos posted up here.

This is a video I just pieced together from the video I shot last night doing a night dive at one of our local lakes.



_________________
Rob
My greenhouse / aquaponics adventure
My DIY PVC Hoop House


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
    Advertisement
 
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Sep 22nd, '17, 12:04 
Offline
Legend Member
Legend Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10th, '16, 21:10
Posts: 788
Location: Outer Eastern Melbourne
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Australia Victoria Healesville
Cool video Rob, how deep and what temp was the lake?

_________________
Pete.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Sep 23rd, '17, 01:48 
Offline
Legend Member
Legend Member

Joined: Jan 6th, '15, 06:49
Posts: 521
Gender: Male
Are you human?: when in a good mood
Location: Santee, CA USA
I couldn't see the video :crybaby:

I scuba dive too, though it's been a few years - never any freshwater diving so I'd like to see the video.

_________________
800 gal sys 2016
IBC system 1/2015
simple flood & drain
5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Sep 24th, '17, 05:42 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Jan 6th, '16, 09:41
Posts: 1267
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Charlotte, MI, USA
Coldest I saw was 66F at 26ft, night dives we stay pretty shallow just checking weed beds to see what kind of fish we find.


Dstjohn here is the link to YouTube
https://youtu.be/0XZVhsYOk4o

This is a video of where we are diving next week.. this video was 2 years ago, we are hoping for a repeat of this dive and finding the smelt, but it's been 90F or more the past few days, not taking the water temp the direction we needed it to go for the smelt to be active... https://youtu.be/ej24EQw5Qkk


_________________
Rob
My greenhouse / aquaponics adventure
My DIY PVC Hoop House


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Oct 2nd, '17, 08:17 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Jan 6th, '16, 09:41
Posts: 1267
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Charlotte, MI, USA
this is a bit of a long video, but it is the new lake just down the road from my house.... we finally dove it yesterday. not my best video, but I was able to edit it enough to make it OK... the colors were all messed up from using my gopro filter in too shallow of water so it washed the colors out and could barely see anything so it took me a while to figure out how to edit it in ways I've never done before to salvage it...

only hit 32ft deep and when we did the visibility went from 10-15ft down to zero. 66-68F water temp right now.



_________________
Rob
My greenhouse / aquaponics adventure
My DIY PVC Hoop House


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Oct 2nd, '17, 13:46 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Sep 28th, '17, 09:37
Posts: 16
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Maui Hawaii
rininger85 wrote:
this is a bit of a long video, but it is the new lake just down the road from my house.... we finally dove it yesterday. not my best video, but I was able to edit it enough to make it OK... the colors were all messed up from using my gopro filter in too shallow of water so it washed the colors out and could barely see anything so it took me a while to figure out how to edit it in ways I've never done before to salvage it...

only hit 32ft deep and when we did the visibility went from 10-15ft down to zero. 66-68F water temp right now.




Thanks for sharing. I have been diving a lot but never in fresh water. Interesting to see all the weed beds.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Oct 2nd, '17, 18:24 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Jan 6th, '16, 09:41
Posts: 1267
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Charlotte, MI, USA
Maui’s Handmaiden wrote:
rininger85 wrote:
this is a bit of a long video, but it is the new lake just down the road from my house.... we finally dove it yesterday. not my best video, but I was able to edit it enough to make it OK... the colors were all messed up from using my gopro filter in too shallow of water so it washed the colors out and could barely see anything so it took me a while to figure out how to edit it in ways I've never done before to salvage it...

only hit 32ft deep and when we did the visibility went from 10-15ft down to zero. 66-68F water temp right now.




Thanks for sharing. I have been diving a lot but never in fresh water. Interesting to see all the weed beds.


a lot of divers around here don't dive locally... either because they think it is too cold or they think there is nothing to see... they really miss out on some good dives! Especially in our Great Lakes... some of the best shipwreck diving in the world is in our Great Lakes!

I have probably only done about 20 dives in saltwater, the rest (probably 150+) have all been locally in Michigan in freshwater. My dive season is coming to an end now that our Wednesday night dive club is done for the year, I have to head home to take care of my son until my wife gets home from work which is usually after 6pm, and it won't be too much longer that it will be dark by 6pm as we approach winter... so I might do some night dives, otherwise my opportunity is limited to the weekends... which I may still do a few weekend dives. I have not logged any of my dives over the summer, but now that I'm about done diving I'll unload my gear out of my truck and bring my computer in to start logging everything I've done over the summer to get a better idea of how many dives I have total now.

_________________
Rob
My greenhouse / aquaponics adventure
My DIY PVC Hoop House


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Oct 8th, '17, 07:38 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Jan 6th, '16, 09:41
Posts: 1267
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Charlotte, MI, USA
here is a dive video from this morning... same lake as we dove last weekend...

_________________
Rob
My greenhouse / aquaponics adventure
My DIY PVC Hoop House


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Oct 13th, '17, 18:59 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Jan 6th, '16, 09:41
Posts: 1267
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Charlotte, MI, USA
Here are the rest of my videos from this summer...





















_________________
Rob
My greenhouse / aquaponics adventure
My DIY PVC Hoop House


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Aug 2nd, '18, 21:48 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Jan 6th, '16, 09:41
Posts: 1267
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Charlotte, MI, USA
I haven't shared any videos this year... we've been diving as much as possible this year so I have a lot of new videos, but thought I would share my most recent one...

Saturday 7/28 I went on trip to a shipwreck called the "Thomas Hume". It is located about the middle of Lake Michigan... 1 mile past the middle to be exact -- it was 22 miles from the dock in New Buffalo, Michigan to the wreck at which point we were only 20 miles from Chicago, Illinois.

The Thomas Hume was built in 1870 and lost in a storm in 1891. They were traveling from Chicago, IL back to Muskegon, MI after delivering a load of lumber... it's sister ship decided to turn back when the storm came upon them but the Hume continued... two days later the sister ship headed to Muskegon and found that the Hume wasn't there... so apparently they thought the captain of the Hume had stole it and sailed to another port and repainted it and claimed it for himself. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that they finally found the wreck and identified it as the Hume. It has been on the bottom of Lake Michigan for 127 years and it still in quite good shape! Our cold freshwater lake preserves shipwrecks making them last for a long time if they are deep enough to not be effected by storms and winter ice.

The Hume's deck is about 130 feet below the surface... the bottom is about 150 feet deep. I did two dives on it the first dive hitting about 136 feet, the second dive hitting 144 feet deep. It was an awesome wreck to explore and I can't wait to get back to it again!




Other scuba related news -- I finished my Rescue diver certification in May as well as CPR / AED certification. Then I passed the NAUI F.I.T. program (intro to leadership) in June/July. In about 2 weeks I begin NAUI Assistant Instructor classes, and if that all goes well then in October I'll be attending a NAUI Instructor Training Conference to become a NAUI Scuba Instructor.

_________________
Rob
My greenhouse / aquaponics adventure
My DIY PVC Hoop House


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Aug 3rd, '18, 13:56 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Apr 27th, '18, 10:26
Posts: 36
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Adelaide 5045, Australia
THats great Rob, diving and instructing is rewarding. Nothing like getting paid to do your hobby, helps with the equipment costs :)

I'm a PADI instructor myself, have been instructing on and off for 20 odd years.

_________________
Grafs system http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29687


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Aug 3rd, '18, 19:28 
Offline
A posting God
A posting God
User avatar

Joined: Jul 6th, '14, 20:25
Posts: 3676
Location: 2.2 kilometers up, NM, USA
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Series of particles
Location: Sapello, New Mexico USA
rininger85 wrote:
I haven't shared any videos this year... we've been diving as much as possible this year so I have a lot of new videos, but thought I would share my most recent one...

Saturday 7/28 I went on trip to a shipwreck called the "Thomas Hume". It is located about the middle of Lake Michigan... 1 mile past the middle to be exact -- it was 22 miles from the dock in New Buffalo, Michigan to the wreck at which point we were only 20 miles from Chicago, Illinois.

The Thomas Hume was built in 1870 and lost in a storm in 1891. They were traveling from Chicago, IL back to Muskegon, MI after delivering a load of lumber... it's sister ship decided to turn back when the storm came upon them but the Hume continued... two days later the sister ship headed to Muskegon and found that the Hume wasn't there... so apparently they thought the captain of the Hume had stole it and sailed to another port and repainted it and claimed it for himself. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that they finally found the wreck and identified it as the Hume. It has been on the bottom of Lake Michigan for 127 years and it still in quite good shape! Our cold freshwater lake preserves shipwrecks making them last for a long time if they are deep enough to not be effected by storms and winter ice.

The Hume's deck is about 130 feet below the surface... the bottom is about 150 feet deep. I did two dives on it the first dive hitting about 136 feet, the second dive hitting 144 feet deep. It was an awesome wreck to explore and I can't wait to get back to it again!


Other scuba related news -- I finished my Rescue diver certification in May as well as CPR / AED certification. Then I passed the NAUI F.I.T. program (intro to leadership) in June/July. In about 2 weeks I begin NAUI Assistant Instructor classes, and if that all goes well then in October I'll be attending a NAUI Instructor Training Conference to become a NAUI Scuba Instructor.

:headbang: Congratulations Rob! :headbang:

_________________
:wave1: Brian's AP
Specs: 2600 gallon (347.56cf) FT. 44cf GBs. 200 gal (26.7cf) ST. 15 gal (2cf) RFF. 50 gal (6.7cf) biofilter.
2017 season 100 Brook trout fingerlings. 5 Comets.
:?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Aug 5th, '18, 19:16 
Offline
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joined: Jan 6th, '16, 09:41
Posts: 1267
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Charlotte, MI, USA
Thanks guys, I enjoy sharing diving with others so think instructing will be a fun way to expand my hobby and get other people into it to keep the hobby thriving! I've been organizing our local club dives for two years now and it's a lot of fun.

_________________
Rob
My greenhouse / aquaponics adventure
My DIY PVC Hoop House


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Aug 6th, '18, 12:40 
Offline

Joined: Jul 24th, '18, 07:09
Posts: 3
Gender: Male
Are you human?: yes
Location: Canada
I do scuba diving, next week I am flying to Langkawi, Malaysia for my birthday. I am hoping to see the beauty of some water species. Nice video that you have there.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Portal by phpBB3 Portal © phpBB Türkiye
[ Time : 0.126s | 18 Queries | GZIP : Off ]