All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '18, 05:41 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
wife has a vinyl cutter that is no longer of use due to computer upgrade and cutter not responding.
Vinyl cutter are used for cutting paper, cardboard etc soft stuff with a very fine knife controlled by image from computer. Does slightly over A4 size.
Now we can replace this with a different make or go to laser cutter but dont know diddly squat about them, good things, bad things, what to look for, recommended brands, size etc etc something that would cut fine metal and thin ply would be advantage

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '18, 09:03 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
Tonzz the reason your plotter/vinyl cutter wont run because your new operating system does not have a compatable driver for the plotter/vinyl cutter, try finding the latest version of the cutter's driver. If you can't find a driver for your model you may still be able to find a generic driver suitable for your cutter, if you can find a driver that works your problem is solved.

If there is no new driver available for your new operating system the alternatives are to run 2 operating systems on your new computer, or keep the old computer just to run your cutter.

I run 2 old Roland plotter/vinyl cutters here that have had no new drivers available after Windows XP so I run them both using an old PC and also run a dual operating systems on a Windows 10 PC. I do all my designing in CorelDRAW using Windows 10 then take it into Windows XP to be able to cut it.

You may even find that your new operating system may not support your cutting program either, and if that is the case even if you did purchased a new cutter you would need to also buy a new cutting program or run on the old operating system. My cutting program will not run on any Windows version later than Windows XP.

You are looking a real serious money to be able to cut fine metal and thin ply on a plotter and unless you are going to be using the cutter all the time it wouldn't be worth investing in.

Don't buy a cheap Chinese cutter they are only trouble and are not very accurate, if you do upgrade, do plenty of reseach, the 2 top brands are Roland and Graphtec, I prefer the Roland because it's a lot sturdier machine than the Graphtec and Roland were the pioneers in plotters so they been around a bit longer. The Graphtec comes a close second and a third option is a Mimaki but it falls a bit short of the other 2. I wouldn'y buy anything under a 600mm cut, because you can't purchase vinyl any narrower than 600mm wide and it's a pain cutting it down to suit a smaller machine.

Tonzz, PM me if you need any more info.

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ