All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Aug 31st, '11, 00:35 
Chalk one up for mother nature... the ultimate genetic modifier...

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... esistance/

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 31st, '11, 07:13 

Are you human?: YES
Ugh! Great, just great. Knew it was coming but still ...

PostPosted: Aug 31st, '11, 08:04 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Well, humanoid
The problems with GM modification is that it is far worse than most people realise. The theories that the drug companies and biotechs apply (and they know that they are not right), and the associated product and project governance that is used, is based on 50 year old, now thoroughly disproven theories. What is currently applied is a binary test. They need to prove that the desired change has been achieved, but they don't have much ability or appetite to test all that has changed. The old theories were based on the assumption that DNA affected a single change. Unfortunately, the combinations of DNA in an organism were many factors less than the genome mapping demonstrated 12 years ago. They now know (and many trials that were conducted prior to then alluded to) that DNA combines with different proteins in the organism to produce different results. i.e. If you replace a single DNA strand, it then combines with every different protein available to produce that many influences. If you take animal DNA and put it into a plant, there are many types of protein that DNA never had access to in nature, in which to combine. So while one of the combinations (the one they are looking for) may produce the result, they don't have to (nor are they able in most cases if it is not inherently manifest and obvious, for example non-viable result) prove all the results of the new combinations.

There is even more complexity than this (as these increased combinations still don't account for all the genome attributes), and the companies producing these modified organisms just don't know what they are doing. So, while it is really scary how the known modification will react and interact with its surroundings once released, it is far more scary what impacts the unknown modifications will have.

Yikes! Just say no to GMO.

PostPosted: Apr 23rd, '12, 17:58 

Are you human?: YES
It's funny I stumbled on this thread because I had decided to plant all heirloom seeds in the greenhouse and buy a jar of mason bees, but I wasn't sure if the bees would stay in the greenhouse. Would I have to replant all my regular yard plants with heirloom ones too? What about the old cherry tree in my yard, is it sterile? If i self pollinate with that pollinator stuff will it make my plants sterile? It is very sad what has happened to the US because of monsanto and I am very worried for our food situation which is exactly what encouraged me to get into aquaponics. (Ecspecially since monsantos lawyer in the 70's might be our next president!!!!) I believe it's only a matter of time before heirloom seeds become the new trade bead for America. I certainly don't trust the people running the GMO business to take care of the world, they are the most cutthroat greedy humans to walk the earth. What kind of people purposely set out to enslave the world's food supply? Pretty funny how after Romney was the Monsanto lawyer back when it all started he was able to open his own investment company and now the mormons own most of our ag land... :( People just sit around watchin like sheep goin to slaughter. The wheat is planted with the tares and they look the same til it comes to harvest!

PostPosted: Apr 23rd, '12, 19:25 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
I've thought for a long time about replying to this thread. may as well put my 2 cents in.

GM will happen, its just a matter of when.

the fact is, that we have breed so much diversity OUT of commercial crops through "natural selection" that we are only one major pest/disease away from complete ruin. eg, Australian wild rices have more diversity than all the domestic rices put together. Most of the GM that we see will be attempting to get this diversity back into seed so that we have options should things go pear shaped.

there will also be a lot of GM crops for the purposes of biofuel. some with enzymes more suitable for subsequent breakdown and use by bacteria in the making of fuels.

yes, monsanto is evil, there is no doubting that, but dont tar all scientists involved in GM research with the same brush. I saw a very interesting talk from this fellow http://www.qaafi.uq.edu.au/robert-henry the other day, and there is some really cool stuff going on at the moment in GM crop research in Australia.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: May 31st, '13, 09:36 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Angie wrote:
GMO wheat has already been "accidently" released into our food supply and it has never been released for human food consumption.
Look in the reference section titled "Genetically Altered Wheat Flagged -- Thailand Detects Shipment Not Cleared for Commercial Sales." Spokesman Review, October 14, 1999.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgenic_wheat

GMO's are a huge threat to us. More and more animal research is coming out that shows organ disease, especially of the kidneys and liver, both which detoxify our bodies, reproductive problems and even mutations in third gen offspring. Each report is shot down as being invalid. The latest info to come out is also alarming- the roundup spray may be causing side effects in the soil microflora by allowing a recently discovered new species of bacteria to grow in large numbers and it has been linked to GMO crop failure and reproductive problems in livestock.
http://econintersect.com/b2evolution/bl ... -dangerous

The biggest conspiracy idea though is this next one. It makes Nazi Germany look like genacide amateurs.

The president of Epicyte, Mitch Hein, pointing to his GMO corn plants, announced, “We have a hothouse filled with corn plants that make anti-sperm antibodies.”
Hein explained that they had taken antibodies from women with a rare condition known as immune infertility, isolated the genes that regulated the manufacture of those infertility antibodies, and, using genetic engineering techniques, had inserted the genes into ordinary corn seeds used to produce corn plants. In this manner, in reality they produced a concealed contraceptive embedded in corn meant for human consumption.

http://www.indyinasia.com/2011/05/gm-co ... opulation/
http://www.biotech-info.net/conception.html

Genetically engineered wheat found in Oregon field, federal investigation underway http://www.oregonlive.com/business/inde ... eat_f.html

See my research was sound after all. I wonder if the anti-sperm corn is also circulating in our fields?

Personally I smell a rat that the GMO wheat issue came out just after the Monsanto Protection Act. I think there have been payoffs along the whole chain of information.

http://www.atlantadailyworld.com/201305 ... tActivists Outraged Over ‘Monsanto Protection Act’

Post 14 May 2013

Food safety advocates are outraged over revelations that U.S. Congress and President Barack Obama approved an act that includes a provision purporting to strip federal courts of the ability to prevent the spread of genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

PostPosted: May 31st, '13, 10:11 

Corruption at its greatest. Sickens me to the core.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: May 31st, '13, 12:52 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Again we see the abysmal failure of our Education system - the total inability to use very basic logic...

If we cannot trust a Scientist who warns of hazards due to him being paid by an entity with a commercial interest in the field, how the hell can we trust Monsanto scientists who tell us how safe it all is? Using somebody's position to claim they are biased is not Science, it is Black PR. Just turn it around and you can see how stupid it is to apply it to only one side of the argument.

And how can we trust CSIRO using safeguards that have so far failed to prevent contamination of surrounding areas almost every time there is a trial?

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '13, 14:26 

Are you human?: Yes
Here is some food for thought - Did you know "wheat" or "modern wheat" was genetically mutated in the 1970s here in the states? Semi-dwarf wheat has only been around since the early 1970s and was, worse then genetically modified, genitically mutated.

Modern wheat, in order to drive yield, was exposed to large doses of radiation and caustic acids genetically mutating the plants making it worse then genetically modified because at least with gene splicing you can control the outcome.

What we are all being fed as "Wheat" hasn't been fit for human consumption for 40+ years. For anyone interested read a book titled "Wheat Belly" it was a real eye opener for me. And yes, I stopped eating wheat in January this year and it has dramatically changed my life.

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '13, 15:14 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Laowai
:dontknow:
From today's UK newspapers. This is just one article.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 54595.html

It's crossing the pond!

One day I'll grow up; until then, Party on Dude!!

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '13, 15:32 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Often
AlexR wrote:
Modern wheat, in order to drive yield, was exposed to large doses of radiation and caustic acids genetically mutating the plants making it worse then genetically modified because at least with gene splicing you can control the outcome.

What's a caustic acid?

My indoor aquarium system.

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '13, 15:35 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Caustic Soda maybe?
Meaning Sodium Hydroxide.

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '13, 15:47 
BoredomIsFailure wrote:
AlexR wrote:

What's a caustic acid?

Bit of an oxymoron.... caustic is usually used to denote strong bases, not acids....

Strong acids are usually referred to as corrosive...

So yep, might have meant to be caustic soda.... Sodium Hydroxide...

But more likely was meant to be corrosive acids....

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '13, 15:58 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Often
I should find the sarcasm emoticon...

:)

My indoor aquarium system.

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '13, 19:22 
Gotcha Boredom...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next