All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mar 20th, '13, 16:23 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
I've done it a couple of times (full restore from backup) and it's only scary the first time :-)

Time machine is well worth having running all the time, even just to be able to restore a version of a specific document from a year ago (have done that on occasion as well).

Or if you don't like an application upgrade you can easily go back to the old version.

My chooks

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '13, 23:14 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
Hey look, everything is normal again :)

I recently got all excited when my desktop crapped itself, because I had installed ubuntu one. It's one of those software offerings that backs up stuff like your bookmarks and passwords, and whatever you tell it to backup on your desktop or whatever. From memory it offers 5gig of cloud storage. It works really well and it creates some discipline where usually I have none.

I backup my entire hard drive a few times a day to a 2bigabite portable drive, but I also have the ubuntu one cloud thing running. That allows me to clutter up my desktop to the point where backing it up to a DVD is practical.

Once I backup to DVD, I rearrange my desktop and start with a clean slate.

It's a bit like dragging your desktop into a folder called "old desktop 27" but it actually works.

The result is, the last time my system crapped itself, I was up and running again without really noticing I was on a different system.

+1 for cloud stuff.

I originally started backup discipline due to mrs bullwinkle asking if we had backups. I did the full backup thing, and the very next day my hard drive went AWOL.

I figure it was a sign :)

It does feel good when you suddenly wish you had a backup of everything, and it turns out you actually have one.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Mar 26th, '17, 13:57 

So our poxy Mac got a serious Malware issue a few months ago and Ive been trying to resurrect the old girl. End up doing a complete back up in reinstall which fixed the issue. Im getting better at this stuff finally.

But, now we have a wifi issue. Net works fine on the Mac which is connected to the modem via ethernet. I dont think the wifi issue has anything to do with the previous issue or the reboot because it was working ok for a couple weeks then slowly got worse and worse.

Ive reset everything a number of times and our devices such as phones and tv says they are connected to our internet but wifi definitely isn't working properly. The modem would be about 6 years old, it doesn't feel hot but the power plug is very hot. Everything I read on the net suggests its rare for a modem to fail but does anyone have any advice please.

Telstra have not been helpful at all.

Cheers

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Mar 26th, '17, 16:16 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Charlie wrote:
So our poxy Mac got a serious Malware issue a few months ago and Ive been trying to resurrect the old girl. End up doing a complete back up in reinstall which fixed the issue. Im getting better at this stuff finally.

Telstra have not been helpful at all.

Cheers

haha seriously what did you expect

PostPosted: Mar 26th, '17, 18:03 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: maybe
if it worked fine and its slowly gotten worse, that is odd.
best thing would be to try and find a friend who has a spare modem or can lend you theirs for a few hours to test.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7